Painting The Pony

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTigress

Reaction score
hey folks:

In the event that a Feejer owner might want to go totally stealth and paint their bike a totally different (non-factory) color, where would be best ?

Would a regular automotive shop be a good choice or is there something special that only a "bike paint shop" would know/do ?

Not that I'm thinking about Ferrari red, but ......

THANKS

IIRC you're up in NorCal, right? PM rogdeb. They had theirs painted R1 red and the guy did an absolutely killer job. I'm mean, it's flawless, but it wasn't cheap they say.

a Feejer owner might want to go totally stealth and paint their bike a totally different (non-factory) color
Camo. From Texas I would suggest something from the Iraq camo color palette.

If you are going to hand over a box of parts to be painted you can use any quality auto paint shop. If you are dropping off a whole bike and want a whole repainted bike back then use a motorcycle shop.

Ticket me red sure does look good on Feejer. I might want to see an emerald green candy job. This would be a base coat of bright silver with two or three translucent layers of emerald green over the top so the reflectivity of the base silver makes the paint shine with great depth. You can be sure this kind of paint job is not cheap but it is eye poppin' beautiful!

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
a Feejer owner might want to go totally stealth and paint their bike a totally different (non-factory) color
Camo. From Texas I would suggest something from the Iraq camo color palette.

If you are going to hand over a box of parts to be painted you can use any quality auto paint shop. If you are dropping off a whole bike and want a whole repainted bike back then use a motorcycle shop.

Ticket me red sure does look good on Feejer. I might want to see an emerald green candy job. This would be a base coat of bright silver with two or three translucent layers of emerald green over the top so the reflectivity of the base silver makes the paint shine with great depth. You can be sure this kind of paint job is not cheap but it is eye poppin' beautiful!

Alan
+1

After having gone through this experience, I found a few tips.

#1 removing the bodywork, tank, et all is a very good experience to learn about the mechanics of your bike, and to do all that maintence you've not gotten to recently, like lubing every pivot point, drive splines, brake bleading, coolant flush, oil change, rear drive change, tires, you get the point. The paint process takes time, and if you drop of the whole bike, it'll just be sitting there as opposed to prime "bike is already stripped down" working time. This can be a big time eater in any of these processes.

#2 removing all the bodywork yourself will save you a good amount of money towards above mentioned items. You and the bike win all around.

#3 If you don't have enough mechanical skills to strip the plastic and put it back on without scratching anything, and don't like scratches... do the math. Also.. don't accedently step on one of the parts while picking them up at the painters. :unsure: :angry:

#4 If you do strip it, be VERY organized, to the point of being anal. Take pictures of how everything is installed, with what fasterners. As you remove each part, photograph it with the associated fasteners, put them in a ziploc bag all to themselves, and label. Take notes, such as the various length of bolts in the gas cap filler. Be sure to drain the tank very well, and let it air out, the painters will appriciate this. Also, the whole bike's paintable parts WILL fit in a standard car, like oh, i dunno, a taurus. The passanger will have a couple items in thier laps. A *shudder* minivan would be perfect. Buy some of that sheat foam stuff at a packing store or office type place.

#5 You shouldn't wax the paint for a few months, so going into winter is a good time to have this done., not to mention the downtime on the bike. Just make sure it's early winter, so you can have it waxed when the wet spring riding season rolls around. (only applicable if you DON'T belong to the southwestern gun tote'n fight'n feejer club)

uhm... I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting, so I may edit this post. check back...

Oh yea... the middle panels look better the same color as the rest of the body.

And if you like the clipped fender look, this is a perfect time too.

christmas6.jpg

#3 If you don't have enough mechanical skills to strip the plastic and put it back on without scratching anything, and don't like scratches... do the math. Also.. don't accedently step on one of the parts while picking them up at the painters.
I have that pictured in my head with the words, 'fuck me', being used liberally.

Be sure to drain the tank very well, and let it air out, the painters will appriciate this.
Especially if he's a smoker! :focus:

By the way Slappy, why did you paint that puppy? Weren't fond of the gay-ass thilver or did you fall down go boom?

Rogdeb had theirs painted in the Sacramento area by an automotive painter who also does work at his home.

I might add:

1) take the time to file or sand sharp edges before having them painted...really helpfull when reinstalling

2) it cannot be espressed to stringently about being anal when labeling fasteners and screws. digital cameras are priceless for this task

3) if you are not able to take the tupperware off and reinstall, you might find a knowledgeable owner willing to help, or pay a bike shop to do so, even if you have to bring the bare bike home until you receive the newly painted and cured pieces to be reinstalled

4) pick a fun and interesting color for yourself

@slapnpop...nice blue. What is it? GM blue of some sort?

Could we see a pic of that awesome red bike mentioned? I myself was hoping they would come out with a red FJR. Although I am quite happy with the Galaxy Blue I was thinking of a paint job down the road after a couple years.

Devanator

There are 2 on the West Coast. There was 1 @ WFO, and should be in pics of that event.

Rogdeb had theirs painted R-1 red. Verry suh-weet! I's sure that if you looked in the archives for rides there'd be a pic or 2. Roger is pretty good about posting pics of our local lunch runs.

By the way Slappy, why did you paint that puppy? Weren't fond of the gay-ass thilver or did you fall down go boom?
I got run over by an S10 which pulled out of it's driveway without stopping to look for traffic.

@slapnpop...nice blue. What is it? GM blue of some sort?
It's a pearl blue over the 03 metallic silver base.

Latest posts