Passenger shoes touching the exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
I have a 2007 FJR, I noticed that the FJR's passenger pegs are very close to the exhaust. Why would YAMAHA put passenger pegs so close to the exhaust? This will cause passenger shoes to melt on the exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2007 FJR, I noticed that the FJR's passenger pegs are very close to the exhaust. Why would YAMAHA put passenger pegs so close to the exhaust? This will cause passenger shoes to melt on the exhaust.
The only time I've ever had an issue w/ this is when my passenger was wearing some boots that had a pretty tall heel on them. The heel melted to my pipe. Other than that one time, no worries.

My wife already lost a pair of shoes that way and I gained an afternoon project trying to clean it off the pipes without scratching them.

I think they lowered the pegs in 06 for better comfort, so less clearance.

Never had a problem here. Does your bike have the heel protectors on it? The little rectangular thing behind the peg seen here behind my passenger floorboard :

https://tinyurl.com/ypxauz

Normaly the passengers foot it pointed a bit "toe out" so unless they are wearing high heels or are pidgon toed, should not be a problem.

KM

Yep. On my 06 I had shields/guards on the exhaust right away as when I pushed my feet back they were on the exhaust pipe also -- melted a little off my boots. Order the following from JP Cycles and they did the trick -- look good also.

PRODUCT NUMBER/ (SEE QUANTITY QUANTITY UNIT

DESCRIPTION BELOW) ORDERED SHIPPED PRICE STATUS

4420105 1 2 2 17.99 SHIPPED

CHROME EXHAUST HEAT SHIELD 7"

I found that a lite rubbing with very fine 000 or 0000 steel wool and a little Dupont Bug & Tar Remover cleans up without scratching. I've put more marks on the pipes putting the center stand down with rubber sole boots then my passenger has riding. I don't sweat it, it ain't meant to be a showpiece, it's my ride. ...and a nice lookin' one at that :yahoo:

My wife's boots left a little melt mark on my left pipe. No big deal, but there is definitely a contact problem for some.

How do you mount the shield?

Yep. On my 06 I had shields/guards on the exhaust right away as when I pushed my feet back they were on the exhaust pipe also -- melted a little off my boots. Order the following from JP Cycles and they did the trick -- look good also.
PRODUCT NUMBER/ (SEE QUANTITY QUANTITY UNIT

DESCRIPTION BELOW) ORDERED SHIPPED PRICE STATUS

4420105 1 2 2 17.99 SHIPPED

CHROME EXHAUST HEAT SHIELD 7"

Peter

This is what I used:

Bike Johnny

I had looked at them before and listed for Generation I bikes, not 2006 or 2007. Or am I wrong and they can be made to fit?

My wife leaves part of her boot on the exhaust every time we ride. Finally I threatened her "One more time and no more sex". Well….. now I use easy off oven cleaner after ever two-up ride. Works great.

I had looked at them before and listed for Generation I bikes, not 2006 or 2007. Or am I wrong and they can be made to fit?
Bike Johnny has two different heel shields to accommodate Gen I and Gen II brackets. Note that there are two different shields being discussed here. One is the BJ pillion heel shield and the other (Cobra/JP Cycles) is a mid-pipe shield that covers the exhaust pipe from where it comes out from under the bike up to the exhaust can. The Cobra is mostly aesthetics but will also provide the rider's heels some protection. The usual attachment methods for the mid-pipe shields are some form of radiator hose clamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to what ionbeam said. The Cobra shields are to protect the rider's heels. BikeJohnny has pillion shields for Gen I and II.

For 2006 and beyond Clicky.

Cobra Shields - Clicky

I have them on mine. They are great. I can't remember if that part number is still good but search J & P and you will find a few choices. Check your pipe dimensions just in case.