Passenger Techniques

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get on, get situated, plant both feet so the bike's solid, then they step up on a rear peg and swing a leg across.
Same here. Once I'm completely situated, I give my wife a "thumbs up" meaning it's time for her to get on. Once she's on and situated, she taps me on the left shoulder and then gives me a "thumbs up" with her left hand.

As a pillion, it obvioulsy helps that my wife also rides and I certainly notice that experience when I've got her onboard vs. a non-rider. I recently asked her what she does when riding pillion and she said she "looks where look, and looks through the turns as if she was the rider". She says she enjoys the ride far more as a pillion when she does this, and feels more "in tune" with the ride.

I'm in the "passenger on first" camp whenever a top box is installed. Whenever I have a passenger, I install the top box so that I don't have to worry about losing them during brisk acceleration. My wife has a hard time swing around/over the box when getting on after me. My son has no problem doing this, but he's a flexible 14 year old. So I have the wife get on first while the bike is on the sidestand. I'm flexible enough to get on while she's already seated.

Very strong believer in the "Rider on first and bike is stable" and then pillion places left hand on my left shoulder and left foot on the left peg (must be sure to be detailed here) and steps up and lifts the right foot over the rear seat without all the leg swinging stuff. Works perfect for us. When she is settled she taps my shoulder or if the Autocomm is on tells me she is ready.

I am lucky, Marianne has ridden dirt bikes since we met 30 years ago and has a good sense for riding. I honestly have never felt her do anything that gave me a moments hesitation on a ride. She knows exactly what to do and not do. I can ride (almost) as aggressively as solo (but don't) until she swats my helmet.

my 14 yo son must have motorcycle-induced ADD cause he moves around like he has ants in the pants

my 18yo daughter is so still i have to keep asking her if she is still on the back :D

John

Your bike will handle different when you carry a passenger.

While the FJR feels rock solid and surgically precise when riding solo in the twisties, the addition of a pillion will make the front wheel less reactive and a little "vague" (this of course being true when your passenger is a fullsize adult, not a 70lb child).

This is aggravated when your pillion kind of leans back while grabbing at the hand rails. If you feel that the bike handles like a pig, tell your pillion to lean into you on a twisty road.

My $ 0,05 worth.

Stef

Ditto to everything above. In addition, I tell my wife, "No matter what, you never need to freak out...unless I freak out!" Also if your passenger is TOO docile, they might be nodding off. Be in tune to that possibility. After 30 years with my wife, I can sense when she is too relaxed. Then I usually tap the brake or blip the throttle very, very slightly to just bring her back to alert. If you tap the brake and her helmet taps yours, that's another indicator. I used to be able to tell my young son was getting drowsy when I could feel him spasm back to wakefulness - a bad way to get the message. Be aware of sleepiness right after lunch or when approaching your destination.

Finally, my favorite passenger has a "pillion philosophy": "Be useful." She loves to help with the little things that makes her part of the ride. For example, she'll lift the tank bag and unlock the gas cap while I fiddle with the credit card reader and the pump. She mounts and dismounts the bags. She even helps remove bugs and road grime after the ride. Now, if I could just get her to change the oil...

A passenger can be great fun, especially if you're a bit of a cruel bastard, i.e. practical joker.

Here in Montana we often encounter semi-trucks pulling huge trailers loaded with those monster one-ton round bales. Well, next time you're about half way through passing one, suddenly hunch down like you're dodging one of them falling from the truck. I guarantee, you'll know how well your helmet absorbs shock after she's done smacking the shit out of you.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
She best have a sense of humour for that bullshit, bigsky.....otherwise, ya got a passenger with two free hands to "teach" you a lesson.

Yes, true, Odot. She's one of those who is enraged for about three seconds, then smiles and laughs and puts her arms around you and gives you a hug... Then she starts plotting her revenge. Better not dish it if ya can't take it, too.

My wife had never ridden very much, so we've gone through some trials. But now we've got enough of a system, (read she's learned) it is simple. Like others have said, I get on the bike and she doesn't do anything until she's sure I am aware of her intent. She taps me on the shoulder before stepping up, and if I don't respond she smacks my helmet. It works great, except the ringing in my ears. :)

Didn't see these however I may have missed them. If they are new, add them to your list if you like.

1. The passenger should all proper protective gear also. Helmet, boots, gloves, riding jacket, riding pants or at least heavy denim, eye protection. Far too often folks get out on their bikes and you see the rider with all PPG and the passenger with shorts, sandles, tank top and a thong hanging out. Looks great until the unexpected happens. Then what should have been a minor issue becomes lots of pain, and skin grafting, possibly weeks of rehab, or God forbid - death. It's still cool to ride even with all PPG.

2. They should lean with you, your already leaning with the bike and so that puts you all in harmony. They should look over the inside shoulder for the direction your turning and stay there until straight again.

3. With no intercom you can communicate the above to your passenger with a simple tap on the knee in the dirction you'll be turning, in twisties they just need to pay extra attention to you it works.

My .02 cents - ymmv.

God Bless,

Stewart

An additional rider to passenger signal that i made my wife and all passengers aware of,...If she feels a quick slap her on the left knee it means *Hold THE F**K ON, SHIT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN* . Hope it never comes to that and that i would only do it if i had the extra second it takes. She also knows to watch for my body movement clues and can feel me slightly "tense/ready" when we are driving in an area that displays and HIDES more hazzards.

-Don

My wife is pretty new to being a bike passenger. She's good at being "invisible" while riding (I've told her to be especially still while we're moving slow).

Our biggest problem is during braking. She ends up sliding to me so that I'm supporting her weight with my arms. So far, no big problem. I've been giving myself plenty of room to react, but....

I haven't been a passenger on this bike, but I'm telling her to hold on to the handles near her butt, all the time, but especially when she knows we'll be slowing down (e.g. intersections). She says they're behind her and thus cause her to lean back. Having Gary's back rest has helped with confidence, but still not optimal.

I'll have to cut her some slack. I bought the bike in October, and besides a few short trips, it's been a bit cold to rack up miles. As it was with me when I bought the bike, confidence will come as the mile build. That said, any guidance I can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ok for those who insist that rider on first is the way to go (and I'm not disputing what works for you) I would challenge you to have somebody sit in the rider position and you try to get on pillon style. Especially those with trunks. ;)

People with mobility/balance and/or coordination issues have a real problem. I'm sure a lot of you old farts know what I mean :lol:

Myself included..... :dribble:

Basically I suggest that the passenger stay lined up with the bike & not to lean or put their feed down. A nervous passenger is easy to spot & more unsettling to the bike. Usually by the time I make the first turn coming out of my driveway I know if the passenger is nervous or not. Generally I also tell my passengers that I will be conservative with them on board & I am. I usually ask how they like it after a few minutes, blocks, or miles to see how they are doing & if I should adjust my riding style so they feel safe. Be very cautious with the nervous passenger. For women I usually suggest arms around my waist in curves & taking off as it gives me a better feel of the balance and control :lol: . That's my method & I'm sticking to it. Remember the FJR will Wheelie much easier with a passenger over or behind the rear axle. Ride safe.

Ok for those who insist that rider on first is the way to go (and I'm not disputing what works for you) I would challenge you to have somebody sit in the rider position and you try to get on pillon style. Especially those with trunks. ;)
Hasn't been a problem, and I'd be scared to death of getting on the bike with her already on it, knowing that I have to get it off the sidestand without putting her in the pavement. May not sound like much, but the concept bothers me.

When I say I'm ready (bike is off in 1st, front brake is on, clutch is released, and I'm standing on both feet frimly gripping both bars) she steps on the left peg, grabs the front of my left shoulder, reaches across and gets the top of my right arm, stands up on the peg, swings her leg through, and seats herself. When she's settled she lets me know with an "OK" on the intercom, and I start the bike and we're off.

Dismounting is similar. She waits for my OK. I shut the bike off (it's already in 1st because I've stopped,) release the clutch and grab front brake, plant both feet and giv her the OK on the intercom. For some reason she dismounts to the right.

I've never ridden the bike without all three bags on it, except her first ride, I tool the bags off for her "orientation" ride.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I will print it all out and have my prospective passengers read it as well. I feel more confident with taking my first passengers now.

Hasn't been a problem, and I'd be scared to death of getting on the bike with her already on it, knowing that I have to get it off the sidestand without putting her in the pavement. May not sound like much, but the concept bothers me.

When I say I'm ready (bike is off in 1st, front brake is on, clutch is released, and I'm standing on both feet frimly gripping both bars) she steps on the left peg, grabs the front of my left shoulder, reaches across and gets the top of my right arm, stands up on the peg, swings her leg through, and seats herself. When she's settled she lets me know with an "OK" on the intercom, and I start the bike and we're off.

Dismounting is similar. She waits for my OK. I shut the bike off (it's already in 1st because I've stopped,) release the clutch and grab front brake, plant both feet and giv her the OK on the intercom. For some reason she dismounts to the right.

I've never ridden the bike without all three bags on it, except her first ride, I tool the bags off for her "orientation" ride.

This has worked perfect for me with all sorts of bikes for far too long than I care to rmember.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I will print it all out and have my prospective passengers read it as well. I feel more confident with taking my first passengers now.

Then get them to sign and date it! :yahoo:

My motto with a new passenger, and it works well, is "become one with me."

If she (for some reason, I don't care for males on back) is not connected to me, the bike handles like it has flat tires. Sure if we are in long straights, she can lean back and make herself more comfortable. When we are in twisties, the more she leans into me and holds my upper body, the more we become one. Then we go thru the twisties like a fine ballroom dance couple, and they love it.

TURN SUSPENSION ONTO HARD

Passenger gets on last and off first.

Plant both feet down firmly and hold both bars while they get on and off, they tend to push and pull the bike from side to side, if you are not ready for it, it may topple you.

Tell them to put a foot on the footrest, their hands on your shoulders and swing over (like a horse) taking care to MISS THE SADDLE BAGS with the second foot.

Rule 1 is to keep their body perfectly aligned with yours.

Rule 2 is that putting feet down will not save them if you come off so don't bother. However, if they do it, it will possibly cause you to come off.

Rule 3 sit still.

I find it better for a new passenger to hold me round the waist rather than the grab rails, this ensures that they stay with me. It's also easier for them to counter the acceleration should you open her up.

Be prepared for their body weight on you if you brake hard. Experienced pillions know when to grab the rail, but rookies will just use you to stop them.

If they are reluctant to lean tell them either to shut their eyes round bends or to look over the shoulder on the side of the turn, ie. right shoulder for right handed bends, left for left.

The bike will feel slower and heavier.

Try not to show off. Make sure you nail it at least once though and scare the **** out of them :lol: ;) Good luck.

Ditto....exactly.