Passenger Techniques

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (wfooshee @ Apr 17 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... I tool the bags off for her "orientation" ride.
Not convinced it's a good idea to remove the side bags.

My view is you tell them to keep their feet on the pegs at all times.

Even if you do fall over.

The side bags will give protection from crush injuries to the leg, certainly at low speeds.

For another insight, read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden since 1991 but have never ridden with a passenger. I got a 2007 FJR AE in December and all my friends want me to take them for a ride. I have now gotten used to the bigger size of the FJR so would consider giving my friends a ride. However, this will be new territory for me and I do not know how a passenger will affect the ride. Anyone have any advice including simple things like who gets on first, low speed manuevers, adjustments, etc.?
I do not want to test my sliders!! :dribble:
there are simple rules: Never ride a person who weighs more than you ,don't take a passenger until you have riden at least 1000 miles solo, always tell your passenger where to hold either you(around the waiste) or to grab the hand holds on the bike and over which shoulder you want them to look. follow these simple rules and you will LIVE!

GOOD luck Wink Winckler aka Racer157

w

Passengers on the FJR are no big deal. I tell them to basically do nothing, remain neutral as far as leaning. I explain that they should specifically NOT lean away from a turn, that the bike must lean a certain amount or we will not make the turn. And, keep still when we're stopped. That's about it. With casual riding, you will hardly notice them back there, unless she's your wife and you pull one of your famous 1st gear wheelies and she smacks you upside the head! :angry:
Sounds like my wife. Deal's Gap dragging pegs, screams with excitement, only way I remember she's back there. 1st gear wheelie? I'm smacked before the tire leaves the ground. She's learned to detect it by now.. :angry2: Holding the front brake while passenger climbs aboard is also good advice IMO. :)

When my wife slides tight against me and wraps her arms it means she wants to feel 130mph real quickly and then slow back down. I REALLY love my SO.

Consider doing your passanger a favor and do not wax the grab handles.

If you have, a little wax and grease remover should do the trick.

My .02 cents

I'm in the rider mounts first camp. The only thing that we do a little different is that my passenger mounts from the right side of the bike, not the left. First she hands me the intercom cord so I can plug her in, then once we have comms and I am ready I tell her "OK to get on". Same thing when we stop. "OK to get off". This eliminates all confusion.

I prepare for her mounting by having the bike on the sidestand and holding the bars with both hands and the front brake on. By stepping up on the right side (higher) passenger peg she gets plenty of height to assist her swinging her left leg up over the top case. I also don't like the idea of stepping down with added weight to support on the side stand. Mounting on the other side has the effect of reducing the load on the stand. That habit probably goes back to my Ducati days where the sidestand was bolted onto the engine cases. You did NOT want to overload that sidestand...

My motto with a new passenger, and it works well, is "become one with me."
Hey, that's my favorite 4'-12" pole dancer pickup line!

:)
"keep still when we're slow or stopped"

Remember my pillion a few weeks ago Jeff... all 270 lbs of him?

I almost lost it the 1st stop I made with him due to squirming around at slow speed ... YIKES!!!

JW

I always remind my wife - NO SUDDEN MOVES WHEN WE STOP. In other words, don't lean over an look at your shoe untill my feet are planted.
lol - good advice all - I took one of my sons over to Marcus Dairy several years ago and as we were leaving he leaned over to say goodbye to someone just as I pulled out & was turning. It was one of those slow mo, its going over moves. Very embarassing in front of 200 bikers.

Good advice found here. I would add not to talk/yell at me until we're stopped, especially with full face helmets. And noone has mentioned the standard reacharound policy for saving you so much money in gas :rolleyes: !! Or the no high heels please...watcha think this is , a Busa ?!

Blessings,

Bobby

I get on first, passenger second when I give her the thumbs up. We ride alot together and highway cruising at 95 mph is smooth until she looks at the speedo. We took some tips from total control and when in the twisties she stays still and will keep looking over my shoulder. For heavy braking she will lean her hands on my thighs rather than my back for support (this took practice). She feels much more secure with the top case to lean against also.

Took a girl for a ride and hit the gas once, I knew something was wrong when I saw the tips of her sneakers rise up to the handlebars!!! But I didnt lose her :rolleyes: