Pathfinder's Border2Border2Border/-10/10ths Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1200 miles a day?? How many hours are you expecting to be riding each day? If you average 80 that's 15 hours a day...

1200 miles a day?? How many hours are you expecting to be riding each day? If you average 80 that's 15 hours a day...
A normal BBG (1500 miles) usually takes me 22 hours. I am a slow (+9) driver. A BBG requires a 62.5 MPH

overall average. Averaging 80... wow! now that would take some speeds. I will average about 20 hours per

day on the bike. I will do Iron Butt motels in all but one night. I will be delayed in California for a light install.

The rest of the ride, after day 5, will be based on how I am feeling.

But now you must tell me something... Does this mean... Mayhem will follow me on my ride? :eek: :p

A normal BBG (1500 miles) usually takes me 22 hours. I am a slow (+9) driver. A BBG requires a 62.5 MPH

overall average. Averaging 80... wow! now that would take some speeds. I will average about 20 hours per

day on the bike. I will do Iron Butt motels in all but one night. I will be delayed in California for a light install.

The rest of the ride, after day 5, will be based on how I am feeling.

But now you must tell me something... Does this mean... Mayhem will follow me on my ride? :eek: :p
LOL, I hope mayhem stays far away from you on this ride though I should see you at the EOM! I'm almost certain I couldn't handle an extended day after day 20 hours in the saddle. One day or two would likely be my personal limit. The longest single day ride I have done so far is around 750 miles at around 12 hours (which is exactly a 62.5 MPH average!) though I seriously do want to accomplish a SS1K and feel confident I could do that without problem. I just want the cool plate holder... ;)

As most here will tell you even 62.5 mph is hard to maintain.. Weather, construction, traffic jams,critters, etc conspire against one. Sure maybe a day or two you could do it, but after years of reading reports you must plan for 20 hour days.

I am a slow (+9) driver. Averaging 80... wow!
Sections of I15 in UT between SLC and St. George have 80mph limit. Heavily enforced when I went through there last year - not many doing much over the limit in those sections...I actually kept it civil (my burn rate's not that favorable at +80) ...except for that one pre-dawn run during the UT1088 I had to get from Zion to SLC before the cutoff. :ninja:

Heh, don't get the wrong idea... I never average 80 on a trip. I just divided 1200 by 15 and threw it out there as I figured 15 hours was a heckuva long time to be sitting on a motorcycle day after day, even one as comfortable as my beloved feej. I can't imagine surviving 20 hours a day for multiple days... :dribble:

Arg... If the spot is to be believed He's going to hit Hotlanta for the noontime rush.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. You will so owe the Candy Butt Association serious penalty money after this ride.. :lol:

I think he'll owe the IBA penalty money after this ride as well.

I want to be a fly on the wall at that family reunion in IA where the nuisance nephew comes up to him every 5 minutes and asks inane questions... :D

Good luck with the ride man.

I gotta stop typing now, I'm exhausted after reading what Pathfinder plans to do. :)

About 13 hours in to the ride, and I have him covering 876 miles. Seems to be doing pretty well, and he should be able to pick things up a little bit as he gets further west.

As most here will tell you even 62.5 mph is hard to maintain.. Weather, construction, traffic jams,critters, etc conspire against one. Sure maybe a day or two you could do it, but after years of reading reports you must plan for 20 hour days.
A day or two??? Warchild did it for 7 consecutive days on a CBR1100XX back in 2007. Of course, it wasn't exactly a normal BunBurner GOLD. :blink:

BBG Hell Week - Mission Complete!

I just returned late last night.... back safe and sound. Have just a few unbelievable stories to tell about this one, trust me.....

Here are the preliminary stats that are part of the package that will go off to the IBA for certification (so nothing is "official" until that happens):

July 14 - 1,519 miles

July 15 - 1,510 miles

July 16 - 1,521 miles

July 17 - 1,515 miles

July 18 - 1,526 miles

July 19 - 1,518 miles

July 20 - 1,527 miles

States covered: California, Oregon, Nevada, Utah

TOTAL MILEAGE: 10,636 miles

TOTAL TIME: 6 days, 23 hours, 28 minutes

We have all the fuel logs, odometer readings, witness forms and Star-Traxx details that should substantiate all 7 days with no problems.

Because I had the fast bike, the loneliest, fastest roads, a superb support team, and over a decade of heavy-duty training and experience, basically had everything going for me and yet, I almost could not finish Day 7.... I was 18 minutes away from being time-barred on Day 7

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Tony is doing pretty well, and once he gets west of Minneapolis he should be able to make some really good, consistent time on I-90 west. How did the meet with him go earlier this morning Craig? Any idea where he stopped for a rest? I don't see anything obvious on the SPOT track.

It looks like Tony is doing pretty well, and once he gets west of Minneapolis he should be able to make some really good, consistent time on I-90 west. How did the meet with him go earlier this morning Craig? Any idea where he stopped for a rest? I don't see anything obvious on the SPOT track.
He pulled off I-80 exit 142 at the truck stop where his sister (a notary) and I met him to witness for the first 1500. That was at midnight (CDT). He looked good, was as chatty as ever, and apparently Florida has thinned that Iowa boy's blood, because he was complaining about 65 degrees being cold. He was going to nap in his sister's car then be up and running again in a few hours. SPOT track shows him leaving Altoona at around 3:35am (EDT), and ready to turn onto I-90 in MN.

Go Tony!

Just talked to Tony, he's getting ready to leave Helena for Coutts. Said he was behind schedule to make his appointment in CA, so just going to do a B2B. I'm meeting him for the Algodones crossing around 10am Sunday.