Pazzo brake lever issue..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yesterday I installed a set of Pazzo levers to replace the factory units (2013) which have lost their adjust-ability over the years. Anyhow the Pazzo clutch lever went on and works without issues, however the brake lever left me flummoxed. The pivot pin hole was under-sized half way through the hole, (the pin would go inside the level hole half way from underside but it wouldn't enter the hole from top side). Anyhow drilled out the small difference and installed the lever. Today (first ride with new levers) I noticed that the front brake was dragging. During installation I did lube (lithium grease) the pivot bolt. The lever doesn't seem to be binding anywhere but apparently not fully retracting. Will have to take it apart and compare it to the factory lever in the next few days.

I've had Pazzos on my previous bike, Triumph Tiger 1050 (those Pazzo levers were installed by previous owner/dealer) and liked how adjustable they were and hence the purchase. (I did notify the Pazzo company regarding the undersized hole, awaiting response.)

Anyone else have had issues with Pazzo levers, especially if brakes not fully releasing.

I recently purchased a different 3rd party lever set and during installation I noticed that the hole (that fits the activation pin) was not quite as deep as the original lever. It resulted in a slight drag when I pushed the bike around the garage, so I immediately put the original lever back on. I am now waiting for a "replacement part" from the vendor. I doubt it will fix anything - and I may then try to drill the hole a little deeper as that seems to be all that I need. It's just amazing that they can't get it right - it's a lever, not a spaceship for crying out loud! Oh well - $38 spent, so not the end of the world...

Make sure it isn't the rear brake that is doing the drag. Remember they are linked brakes. If you put the old lever on and still have the issue, it could be the rear needs a little lube.

Make sure it isn't the rear brake that is doing the drag. Remember they are linked brakes. If you put the old lever on and still have the issue, it could be the rear needs a little lube.
It is the front, if I move the lever away from the grip (couple of mm) the brakes release.

It is the front, if I move the lever away from the grip (couple of mm) the brakes release.
Yeah - this is really easy to diagnose. If there is any pressure on that little pin when the lever is in "resting position", you have a problem. Let's not make this a difficult problem to find...

Pazzo levers are cheap knock offs of CRG levers. Its no surprise there are fitment issues. IMHO, CRG and ASV are the best levers our there.

Pazzo levers are cheap knock offs of CRG levers. Its no surprise there are fitment issues. IMHO, CRG and ASV are the best levers our there.
Pazzo levers are cheap knockoffs?? (Have you priced them? Might be a bit cheaper than the CRG but not like some of the REALLY cheap eBay offerings)

Mine are currently 12 years old with well over 200,000 miles on them. The black anodizing is still in perfect condition and they are mechanically as good as the day they were installed. Look great and operation is very smooth. No scratches and no surface oxidation. I liked them well enough that I didn't offer them to the purchaser of my bike when I sold it last year - they got swapped out to the "new" 2011.

A problem with fit (or finish) is very unusual and the manufacturer is generally pretty responsive. Very early on, I had an issue with the design relating to the clutch side - the switch (not the plunger) was being pushed at a bit of an angle instead of straight. I wrote to the manufacturer and they immediately shipped a replacement part - there was a factory re-design that made it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross, correction; they are expensive knock offs. CRG is the originator of that design. Pazzo merely copied it; very poorly in some cases.

30+ years of track days has thought me not to patronize those who rip off established designs/companies.

As always, YMMV. Glad your levers are working out for you. Ride safe, mate.

I have Pazzo levers on my 2014ES and no issue with fitment. Prior to Pazzo I had the cheap knock offs and they also worked just fine. They turned from black to off gold color after two years so I retired them. Perhaps chrisz was given the wrong brake lever. I would have notified Pazzo or the vendor before modifying the lever.

I did notify Pazzo of my findings and did receive a response. It was confirmed that I did receive the correct lever and suggested that the pivot bolt perhaps was heavily worn and hence wasn't perfectly round. Although the pivot had the typical wear marks, it did fit half way from underneath. Anyhow I drilled out the half that prevented full penetration and also drilled out about 1 mm of the plunger hole. All is good now, but this should not have happened.