PC3 Maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question, but are there so many in the Atlanta area that a recommendation is required???

I ask because there's not one within a 75 mile radius of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so many. A members recommendation would carry a lot of weight with me though.

Is the one 75 miles from you reputable?

No kidding. I wouldn't have the first idea who to take my bike to here. What about calling DynoJet? I bet they know who utilizes their equipment the most.

Dynojet has a list. There aren't many choices and of course no personal recommendations.

I have calculated I could recover the cost of the tuning with fuel savings in under 10,000 miles. It's on now!

Chuck..... what fuel savings? I would expect that to get optimal performance you are going to end up burning more fuel. They will richen the fuel map not lean it out, methinks... If you just want a better running machine you can make your own map, which should not result in much more fuel. If you use something like Wally's Smoothness map, you are likely to use more fuel. If you go to a dyno tuner to get optimal performance, you will use more again....... I run a standard map from FuelMoto, which came with the PCV when I bought it, and have not suffered in fuel economy........ Anyway, just some stuff to think about.

Chuck..... what fuel savings? I would expect that to get optimal performance you are going to end up burning more fuel. They will richen the fuel map not lean it out, methinks... If you just want a better running machine you can make your own map, which should not result in much more fuel. If you use something like Wally's Smoothness map, you are likely to use more fuel. If you go to a dyno tuner to get optimal performance, you will use more again....... I run a standard map from FuelMoto, which came with the PCV when I bought it, and have not suffered in fuel economy........ Anyway, just some stuff to think about.
I don't want it tuned for optimal performance. I have a full holeshot system installed. I don't plan to enter any races. I want it tuned to be smooth on the bottom end and cruise at close to stock economy. top end rich is ok, if I'm up there I want to dump fuel.

I have calculated I could recover the cost of the tuning with fuel savings in under 10,000 miles.
Show your work!
At 32mpg I use 312.5 gallons in 10,000 miles

At 40mpg I would use 250 gallons, a savings of 62.5 gallons.

Assuming a cost of $3.30 per gallon this would be $206.25

YMMV

Holy crap! All you get is 32mpg???

I don't think you need a PCV....instead, I think you need to fix that hole in your tank!

Yep, I got 32 mpg on my trip to Jax and the SS1000. This was at a steady 75 - 80 mph.

I have one of Dirttrackers Tanks so it isn't like I have to stop overly often.

No leaks I have noticed and the bike runs great
wink.png
I'd like to get 38mpg or better to hit the 300 mile mark before the fuel bar blinks.

Chuck, 32mpg sucks! I get around 40 on long freeway trips. Was it better before the HoleShot system? Is your rear brake dragging? Maybe your front brake is dragging. Are your tires low? Are you riding with the sail up? Maybe your mouth is open...

I never really cared about mpg before, my wrist was in it to often to consider it.

No brake issues. I would have smoked them by now. TPWS installed. I have baker air wings on the front and some lights that I'm sure don't help.

Also a Large rifle windshield.I know all these things will drag mpg down, but without mapping I am pissing in the wind.

I took a ride with my tablet connected to see which cells were in use at cruise and leaned them out a couple points.

All week I have been filling up after work and looping up toward Atl and back (80 miles), fill up again and calculate...lean it more and repeat the next day.

I have gone to zero in the desired range and have minimal success. No stumbles though. I am concerned about getting to lean and causing damage, so that has influenced the decision to call in a pro. Most of the tune shops seem to just go after performance though. I have an email off to a shop close to me in the hope they can help.

I get pretty consistently 40-43 mpg US, Rifle and Baker Wings running a PCV with FuelMoto map..... if you want to send me your map, I can compare it to a number I have on file.

Isn't that why you have a full Holeshot system...for performance? Yet you do not want it tuned for performance? A little confusing to me.

That aside, a custom map is ideal since they can adjust the air/fuel ratio for optimal running throughout the RPM range for your bikes setup. Having read some articles about this, it is my understanding that the ratio has some leeway between economy and performance. I am curious about how much economy you can eke out of that full exhaust system since pushing more air through the engine requires more fuel to match.

I have a PCIII on mine and have created my own hybrid map that works well with my Remus slip ons and modded airbox. I get about 40mpg commuting (with a CB 4x2 flip shield and aux. lights) and the bike runs strong and smooth from idle to redline. I've tried some maps before that reduced both mileage and performance together, so yea, the right map is vital to get the best of both.

I'm only concerned with economy @ highway cruising. Of course I'd like smooth performance in the rest of the ranges.

Getting every last bit of HP isn't my major goal here. The Holeshot stuff was a deal to good to pass up, it sounds great and the cats (and their heat) are gone.

Chuck,

I assume that your 32 mpg was with the PCIII installed and some generic map loaded. Which map are you using? What was the mileage with the holeshot system before the PCIII? Do you now have your O2 sensor disconnected? never mind, you have the holeshot header, of course it is disconnected.

And out of curiosity, which cells do you think that you are cruising in? It seems to me that my 1st gen map is adding quite a bit of fuel in the 4000-5000 rpm 5-20% areas and I am still right at or a tad over 40 mpg in the summer.