PCIII and warrenty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg97224

Reaction score
I had a PCIII installed on my 07 along with having it remapped, trying to help the serging issue. I am going to take my bike to the dealers, and see what they

can do. Does anyone know if I should take the PCIII of before taking it in? I don't know if it will void the warrenty.

Thanks

I had a PCIII installed on my 07 along with having it remapped, trying to help the serging issue. I am going to take my bike to the dealers, and see what theycan do. Does anyone know if I should take the PCIII of before taking it in? I don't know if it will void the warrenty.

Thanks

if they have good techs, they will be able to dial it in for you. just make sure you tell them the pcIII is in the bike when you drop it off.

I had a PCIII installed on my 07 along with having it remapped, trying to help the serging issue. I am going to take my bike to the dealers, and see what theycan do. Does anyone know if I should take the PCIII of before taking it in? I don't know if it will void the warrenty.

Thanks
Remember anyone who answer's you is just providing an opinion and what actually happens is a crap shoot. Just about nothing can void your entire warranty under US law. Someone would have to prove that the mod PCIII has a direct impact on the warrranty claim. In this case Yamaha would have a real good case to deny a warranty claim. That being said, if I were having the surging problem, I would have Yamaha fix it on a clean bike without a PCIII and then add the PCIII later. Surging may be an ECU issue and a PCIII will make troubleshooting a bear.

I dropped my bike off at a Yamaha Repair Facility to have some warranty work done a week ago. While there I spoke to a customer who had a PCIII on his bike (a Suzuki) he had it installed by a Dealer because his Suzuki was having performance related surge and lean issues. During our conversation I noticed the Service Manager was there taking this all in. I turned to him and asked him about the issue of adding a PCIII to my bike and then having to bring it back in again for more warranty work. Were they going to cover any warranty work involving my bike if I had one it installed? Or were they going to say it wasn't covered because I or someone else had installed it? I was told the Service Manager the PCIII was very well designed and there would be no problem with having one on any bike brought in by a customer regardless of who put it in. He also said the Company that designed the PCIII (DynoJet) has a specific license with all of the major manufacturers so they can be installed on these bikes without any problems.

Ride Safe, C1

Something to consider. The bone stock, right from the factory bike should NOT be having a surging problem in the first place. Not all 07's have the surging problem. From other posts, it is likely that Yamaha knows it has a problem but is not sure if it a big enough problem to really do something about. A PCIII works downstream of the ECU. It may or may not be able to correct the problem, but in any case it does not "fix" the problem, it just hides it. Sorta like eating broccoli, if you cover it with enough cheese anything tastes good. That's why I would have Yamaha fix the real problem without a PCIII masking what is causing it. The warranty issue is a just a distraction.

... Sorta like eating broccoli, if you cover it with enough cheese anything tastes good.
I like broccoli :blink:

If you want to be 100% safe and sure, pull the PC III before turning the bike over to the dealer. It's not like there that hard to put in or take off.

My 2 cents.

... Sorta like eating broccoli, if you cover it with enough cheese anything tastes good.
I like broccoli :blink:

If you want to be 100% safe and sure, pull the PC III before turning the bike over to the dealer. It's not like there that hard to put in or take off.

My 2 cents.
But he can't listen to you because it your opinion. And you better up your 2 cents for inflation.

If you install a Power Commander on an FJR in Australia, or any Yamaha for that matter, you will void the warranty.

Their reasoning is that you have to disconnect the Oxygen Sensor to install a PC and that alters the engine specs.

You all know there is a new PCIII that keeps the O2 Sensor intact? It's called the PCIII EX. What is the difference you ask? Well according to A. Johnson with More Power Racing. The standard PCIII eliminates the 02 Sensor and allows the PC to work as a fuel management unit without interference from the 02 Sensor and the ECU.

The PCIII EX Unit blocks about 50% of your tuning ability, and does not eliminate the 02 Sensor in order to remain emissions compliant. Just in case you wanted to know what the difference between the two.

I did ask him which one he would recommend to me for my FJR, the above explanation was what he shared with me in order for me to make my own decision as to which one would better address my own needs. I also found both units to cost the same, $260.00 to your door. morepowerracing.com

Ride Safe, C1