PCIII or V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
I have searched and read all of the threads I could find on this so I hope no one is upset it is being brought up again. My father's '07 displays the throttle snatch that has been so well documented on this forum. It really sucks when we go to the mountains. It is not so bad down in South Louisiana at sea level with no curvy roads. We had the ECM upgrade/recall for high altitude and it made no noticeable difference. I am ready to do the Power Commander fix, I need to know which one I really need for this. The bike is mechanically stock and will remain that way. Stock exhaust and air filter, stock everything. Dad is 67 and does not need more power, he can (and does) smoke my Honda ST1300 as it is. Which is better, the three or the five? The three requires disconnecting the O2 sensor, does the five also? Does it actually hurt anything to have the O2 sensor disconnected? Will there be any indication of this in the instrumentation? Will there be any noticeable increase in horsepower, or will it just smooth out the on/off throttle response?

The PC5 is much better, esp with the AutoTune O2 sensor.

With the autotune you can set your own A:F ratios.

The PC5 will work on any Gen2 bike, don't believe the DynoJet site.

You can disconnect the O2 without harm or fault indication.

It is also best to remove the air induction systen as well.

My 06 and 07 both have the fueling problem, the PC5 works well.

The first (and most cost effective) thing to try for Gen2 throttle abruptness, is the G2 replacement throttle sleeve. The curve of the cam on the throttle sleeve is modified to neutralize the progressive shape of the lobe down on the throttle body.

The first (and most cost effective) thing to try for Gen2 throttle abruptness, is the G2 replacement throttle sleeve. The curve of the cam on the throttle sleeve is modified to neutralize the progressive shape of the lobe down on the throttle body.
I have a G2 sleeve I'll send you for $35 shipped should you decide to go that route.

PCIII will work if you can find one used but it's discontinued. PCV is recommended by DynoJet for your 07.

I thought they got into trouble with CA CARB and had to discontinue the 'good' model or something?

I have a 2007 with the G2 and a PCIII.

The G2 will definitely help the off idle smoothness.

I ran the PCIII with the O2 sensor disconnected and it ran better, but depending on which map you run, your mileage will go down more than others.

I checked into having the bike dyno tuned last summer and in talking to the tuner he said to hook the O2 sensor back up. The bike runs just as good and the mileage is back up to the mid to upper 40's while at steady throttle cruising. As soon as I have all the recalls done, including the ECU replacement, I am going to install rivnuts in the exhaust and have it tuned up right.

Hope this helps.

So I opened up Wally's smoothness map and had a peek to see what's going on there. Looks like there's taking fuel out on low RPM and low throttle positions, which would explain how it smooths out the stock surge when you get on the throttle.

However, looking I see that in the normal cruse rpm range with low/medium throttle, where you'd likely be holding it while interstate crusing, there's a lot of extra fuel going in. Seems to me these higher numbers in cruising range is what really brings down the mpg.

So the question is...has anybody monkeyed with the map at all and zeroed out the numbers in the cruise range? Zeroes just means it doesn't interfere and lets the bike run stock mapping at that point. Seems like that would be a way to have your cake and eat it too. I've got a good friend who's messed around with maps on other bikes with good results, I may see what his input is on this.

Thanks to all of you, I am confused more now. Is the G2 throttle tube really the fix? Is this easier/better than the Power Commander? And why on other threads do you guys advocate upping the idle speed to 1100-1200 rpm? Is this related to the snatchy/abrupt throttle? I called Fuelmoto to talk to tech support but stayed on hold so long I had to hang up. Will try this again tomorrow.

The G2 will change the way the throttle cable pulls and make it less abrubt. The Power Commander will adust the fueling on the bike to take some of the hit out of that initial on throttle surge. Both will work together well. Some folks find that one works better for them than the other.

Installation wise, the Power Commander should be easier as you just plug it in and load the custom map (Wally Smoothness) while the tube requires removing grips and stuff. This is complicated if you have the factory heated grips as that makes it harder. The throttle tube is however the less expensive option.

There's also some other items that help out. Removing slack in the cables, unwinding the throttle spring and adjusting your tps.

Yes, I've been a searching and reading fool! But I plan on doing most of this stuff this weekend, if everything comes in. Otherwise next weekend perhaps.

I have the PC III EX. The PC III EX will not permit you to adjust the fuel mapping in the 0-4000rpm/0-12% throttle positions. Unfortunately with the III EX model, the areas of the fuel map that you would want to adjust to resolve the low end throttle abruptness are not accessable. The G2 tube was the best solution for me on the 07. I have no experience with the newer Power Commanders but I would be tempted to pick up the older PC III (non EX model) as a possible solution.

Thanks to all of you, I am confused more now. Is the G2 throttle tube really the fix? Is this easier/better than the Power Commander? And why on other threads do you guys advocate upping the idle speed to 1100-1200 rpm? Is this related to the snatchy/abrupt throttle? I called Fuelmoto to talk to tech support but stayed on hold so long I had to hang up. Will try this again tomorrow.
Upping the idle speed is often done in response to those who experience the engine stopping if they blip the throttle. It may also help with the 'lurch' because the idle speed is thus closer to the intended speed.

Based on my experience I would suggest that you start with the Power Commander. You can easily enable/disable it and discern whether it helps. If it helps enough you're done. It is also easy install/uninstall.

If it helps a little then try the G2. Less expensive than the PC-V but more involved to install, especially if you have heated grips. Maybe the combination of both is what you need.

Both items are durable, in the sense that they can be resold.

If neither of these solve the problem for you, well, the FJR1300 isn't the only sport-touring bike on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, your advice is welcome. As far as the FJR not being the only sport tourer, don't hate me but I ride a Honda ST1300. The FJR is my father's, he is 67 and he does not want to ride anything else. He loves my ST but the FJR helps keep him young, it is a more exciting bike to ride. We also can't replace it because he loves that Black Cherry color, the bike looks great. I am sure that with the knowledge on this forum I can make a great motorcycle even better, thanks again.

Well, it's only money, why not spend it? I called FuelMoto using advice from this forum and ordered the PC V. They say they have a map for this issue and do not charge anything to install it. Total with shipping was $301.95. I will post results and if this does not cover it, I will be looking into the G2 throttle tube. Again thanks to everyone who responded, I will let you all know if this works or if it doesn't.