Pelican TopCase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Further

Reaction score
So I got my ’08 FJR in late Spring and spent a good 6 weeks adding multiple farkles, most of which I got advice and inspiration from on this forum. I can’t tell you what a great resource you all are. As good or better than the great online community for BMW’s, which I accessed for the previous 14 years I rode K bikes. Thanks !!!

It’s time to try to give back. I’m not a great mechanic or fabricator, but I did come up with this one idea.

FJR%20w-topcase.jpg

FJR%20w-topcase2.jpg

When my wife and I discovered how small the FJR bags are on the inside, compared to the outside, (who the hell thought double walls was a good idea?), we faced having to get a topcase larger than I would like.

I hate topcases. Aesthetically they don’t look great, plus they put weight just where you DON’T want it. And I especially dislike the look of most of the ones I see today… gimonga tall and shaped like mutant gumballs.

I wanted the smallest, least obtrusive bag I could find that would hold a good amount of stuff. Thus… a Pelican case. They’re fairly cheap and strong, and come in a vast array of shapes and sizes. The one I settled on is the 1510NF pictured above, (NF means No Foam). The price can’t be beat, $119 at: Pelican-Case.com https://www.pelican-case.com/15cawinofo.html

It’s a standard airline approved carry-on. I removed the wheels and the exterior sliding handle thingy, and the larger front handle – leaving the smaller side handle. I had to Dremel off a few of the raised mount knobs on the bottom too. It’s not beautiful, but it has a very small profile from the side and it looks kinda "business-like". Like, “I’m ready for the Dempster Hwy, if I could just find some knobbies for my FJR.

So this is how I attached it. I got the smaller topbox rack from Premier Cycle Accessories for $158. https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top...ack_p/11997.htm The newer version on their site is the same size as mine, but they’ve rearranged the bungee cord holes a little and added the fancy FJR cutout.

shelf%20thingy.jpg

Now here is where I’m gonna disappoint some of you. This is a dead-simple install. You don’t need me to draw fancy templates for you. Anyone can figure this install out by themselves, once they have the components.

Bolt on the rack, and measure for 4 holes at appropriate spots. Only caution: for the 2 holes closest to the grab rail be careful to leave enough space below the rack so the tail section doesn’t interfere with getting a hex wrench under there. Once I did that, I just positioned the case on the rack by eye and had someone hold the case in place while I put a magic marker through the holes to determine where the corresponding holes go in the case. Simple. I cut some ¼ inch black closed-cell foam to line the inside and cover the nuts up.

Inside%20Pelican.jpg

Foan%20inside%20Pelican.jpg

Pictured here is the hardware I chose, and it’s key for security. Nylock nuts and hex head bolts, with very large washers to distribute the pressure where it’s attached. Insert the hex bolts from underneath. I Dremeled off the exess bolt length. Now, if someone tries to dismount your case while it’s locked, what will happen is they’ll start turning the hex heads but as soon as they loosen up, the bolts will just spin in place because of the Nylock nuts. Pelican-Case.com sells nice little black padlocks. I just use one on one of the 2 latches for minimal security.

C-U%20bolts.jpg

I only mount the case for long trips. I found a nice, compact nylon bag that fits this case pretty well at AeroStitch https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Zipp-Sacks-p-16414.html . It’s the largest of the Zipp Sacks they offer. I leave the case on the bike and just pull out the sack and carry it into the motel with the panniers. Lacho Drom.

If ever you guys want some, I have them at cost at work.

We are selling Pelican and Underwater Kinetics, both are really good case.

We are in Montreal, let me know the model and I could email you the prices.

I like the looks of that better than most top cases. I am working on getting a passenger back rest and rear rack from Garauld, may try to fit one of these to it after I get it on the bike. Thanks, great idea!

Interesting, as its one of the choices I was looking at on the thread I started for best small topcase :)

I am very close to going this route as well. The Givi B36N actually gets into similar dimensions, but costs about 3x as much, and I'm not sure it really looks that much better. And mounting the adapter plate to the premiercycle rack is going to make it sit a little higher then just bolting direct to the premiercycle rack...

I was thinking of mounting it a little differently then you did though. On the premiercycle accessory rack, there is about a dozen pre-drilled, pre-tapped holes. Maybe a little smaller then I would have used? I was thinking about simply using those holes with a panhead screw from the inside. Was there a reason you didn't use this approach? It would leave nothing to even try to unscrew from the outside. It looks from the pics like you have the pre-tapped holes as well (though my newer rack seems to have more)...

Pierre, I'll email you for some prices :)

Interesting. The Pelican solution is common with ADV and STN guys.

I'm in the process of fabbing a dismountable Seahorse case on my 06. The advantage will be that I'll be able to unclip it from the bike and roll it indoors with the sidecase bags hanging from it. It'll be a one-trip deal from the parking lot to the hotel check-in.

If some of you wanna hold off about 10 days, I can document the whole thing.

Oh, the reason I use the Seahorse cases? Waterproof and basically half the cost (and weight) of a Pelican. I don't think the average FJR rider needs to bang his cases off the rocks in Baja.

I like that idea. I travel a lot and a case like that would be great for laptop and clothes + a roller!

I will install this on a FZ1, but I want to see how you plan to install on the FJR for reference.

Will look to your document of the whole thing with pics.

Interesting. The Pelican solution is common with ADV and STN guys.
I'm in the process of fabbing a dismountable Seahorse case on my 06. The advantage will be that I'll be able to unclip it from the bike and roll it indoors with the sidecase bags hanging from it. It'll be a one-trip deal from the parking lot to the hotel check-in.

If some of you wanna hold off about 10 days, I can document the whole thing.

Oh, the reason I use the Seahorse cases? Waterproof and basically half the cost (and weight) of a Pelican. I don't think the average FJR rider needs to bang his cases off the rocks in Baja.

I like the looks of that better than most top cases. I am working on getting a passenger back rest and rear rack from Garauld, may try to fit one of these to it after I get it on the bike. Thanks, great idea!

If the rack is not built yet, ask him to add his tabs for the pelican case. He did it for me and it is a perfect way to mount the case. He even taps threads in the tabs for you.

Dana

Interesting, as its one of the choices I was looking at on the thread I started for best small topcase :) I am very close to going this route as well. The Givi B36N actually gets into similar dimensions, but costs about 3x as much, and I'm not sure it really looks that much better. And mounting the adapter plate to the premiercycle rack is going to make it sit a little higher then just bolting direct to the premiercycle rack...

I was thinking of mounting it a little differently then you did though. On the premiercycle accessory rack, there is about a dozen pre-drilled, pre-tapped holes. Maybe a little smaller then I would have used? I was thinking about simply using those holes with a panhead screw from the inside. Was there a reason you didn't use this approach? It would leave nothing to even try to unscrew from the outside. It looks from the pics like you have the pre-tapped holes as well (though my newer rack seems to have more)...

Pierre, I'll email you for some prices :)
BrettB, don't quote me on this, but I believe the existing holes on my older Premier rack don't have pre-tapped holes. And I don't have any tapping tools or much confidence in doing a good job of it, though that WOULD be a slicker way to do it. Since I'm only mounting this thing 3 or 4 times a year, I didn't see it as a big hassle for me.

One further note, since being able to find the absolute PERFECT size for your particular need is important for most of us, if you can't find a Pelican with the perfect dimension, there's another option. Calumetphoto.com This is a pro photo supplier, and they make their own versions of the Pelican in many different sizes. Go to their site and do a search: "calumet watertight hard case".

Their prices are cheaper than the Pelican list prices, though not as cheap as the various discount places that sell Pelican.

There is one other manufacturer that makes a Pelican style case, though the name escapes me now.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: