• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Penske 8983 Double Adjustable Shock with GP Suspension Reservoir Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

'm selling my Penske 8983 Double Adjustable Shock (retail $875) and GP Suspension Reservoir Mount (retail $85) because I had the opportunity to pick up an Ohlins YA-707 and the remote preload adjuster will allow me to make quicker adjustments when my wife wants to climb onto the passenger seat.

I'll also provide the Penske instruction/setup manual, the Penske reservoir mount and preload adjustment tool. The shock is about 1 1/2 years old, has approximately 20,000 miles on it, was setup by Dave Hodges at GP Suspension, has a Hyperco 850 spring to accommodate a 220 lb rider in full riding gear.

I do most of my riding on Interstates, most of it has been solo and I don't carry too much weight in the side cases or Givi E52. In other words, the shock has never been pushed anywhere near its limits.

The shock has no signs of leakage, performs exactly as it should and should not require servicing for a while. Penske advertises this shock as being owner rebuildable but that requires the owner to use the proper tools and follow the instructions. That said.... I checked with KFG Racing (the company that took over GP Suspension) and to perform a full service on a Penske 8983, they charge $160 plus parts.

The shock and the GP Suspension Reservoir Mount are being sold together for $500 shipped.

Payment via PayPal using the Personal, Other selection. This will avoid me paying the PayPal fee of 3.487%. Otherwise, the price is $517

PM me for my PayPal address

tn.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score Tom. :)

As it's for a genll you will have to change the reservoir mount, the holes don't quite line up on the genl's but it's nothing major..

Nice score Tom. :)

As it's for a genll you will have to change the reservoir mount, the holes don't quite line up on the genl's but it's nothing major..
Actually, I think that the only thing needed is a small M6 spacer that was included when the reservoir mount was going to be used on a Gen I and not included for Gen II installations.

Penske 8983 and Reservoir Mount

I figured you savages would descend on this pretty quickly. I'm still on the OEM shock at 35K miles, and that includes a lot of goat trail roads and some dirt. Even if I didn't use this, my ride buddy next door has a fully blown leaking shock on his 2006.

Hmmmm, I wonder how much beer THIS is worth. :rolleyes:

You did good Tom. Same shock / spring combo that is on my '09.

Congrats, you're going to love the *new* bike you get after installing!

--G

Right you are Bill..

Mine came off an '08 and the passenger footpeg mount holes were spaced further apart than the '04's. Still, it was just a matter of slight modification. ;)

I figured you savages would descend on this pretty quickly. I'm still on the OEM shock at 35K miles, and that includes a lot of goat trail roads and some dirt. Even if I didn't use this, my ride buddy next door has a fully blown leaking shock on his 2006.

Hmmmm, I wonder how much beer THIS is worth. :rolleyes:
Put it on the bike!!! I made it to 33K miles on my '05 before having GP redo my forks and install the same shock. You won't believe the difference.

If it helps... explain to the wife how much safer your ride will be with the proper suspension! Really no kidding.

Well, I was rather convincingly thrashed on Skaggs Springs Road by Borkerfork with Old Michael in pursuit this past spring. At least I ended with Sacramento Mike. :unsure:

I was definitely feeling the rough road and closing radius turns. I have known I need to do the suspension for quite a while, but my "superior skills" have kept me within five miles of Fairlaner so we can talk at his cigarette breaks. :blink:

WheatonFJR084.jpg

Congrats Tom.

Thanks to George's advice I have the GP and Penske setup and it is very nice.

Fontanaman would love to come to Cali and keep up with the fast guys cause he has the fastest FJR of all time. Max speed of his FJR is 558 mph. This is an un-altered Zumo screen shot.

Fontanaman's FJR is Gen Max!
yahoo.gif

GPS02.jpg

DAMN IT....MISSED AGAIN! Looking for a penske here.,,,if anyone knows of one