Permanent oil drain valve

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
So I just happened to be on the internet, and as always the pop up adds come up. Today there was one that I just happened to look at. It's a permanent oil drain valve, and the company actually makes one for the FJR. It looks like a really good product, again it is permanent, and is designed not to be removed making oil changes easier and cleaner. The only two potential drawbacks I see are, how much lower it may sit below the oil pan of the bike, therefore being susceptible to speed bumps and other debris that we may run over, and it has an "O" ring instead of a crush washer. Otherwise once installed, one never has to worry about cross threading the drain bolt again, and it also has a port that a hose can be connected making the oil draining process much less messier. The site is www.fumotousa.com

Here is some info off the website:

B106SX

B106SX.jpg
M14-1.5 BSX SERIES DRAIN VALVE

The new BSX series of valves takes the best of our SX series and puts it in a smaller envelope for motorcycles and other small engines. Fumoto BSX-series is comprised of two distinct yet fully integrated parts: the through bolt and oil-flow control body. These features allow the valve to be positioned as you choose for even more convenient and effortless oil changes. The new ergonomic control lever makes the valves esier to operate and the versatility of the BSX series allows installation without an adapter on some motorcycles that may have previously required one. BSX series valves are designed to fit motorcycles. All BSX series valves offer a short 5mm nipple which allows you to attach a hose for convenient draining. Constructed of forged brass and stainless steel to exacting Japanese specifications, BSX series valves are designed to provide a lifetime of dependable and reliable service.

Specifications

• Diameter: 14mm
  • Thread Pitch: 1.5
  • Gasket: Captured O-Ring Seal
  • Nipple Dimension: 3/8" - 10 mm
  • Nipple Length: 1/5" - 5 mm
  • Weight: 4.4 oz
The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain's spring assisted ball valve replaces your standard issue oil drain plug and makes oil changes easier, cleaner, and less time consuming.

• One Touch Operation.
  • Allows for clean and mess free oil changes.
  • Safely change your oil without contacting hot oil.
  • Eliminates stripped threads and frozen plugs.
  • Simple to install and operate.
  • Reduces time to complete an oil change.
  • Ideal for sampling analysis as a small amount of oil can be drawn without shutting off the engine.

There is an actual video on their website, the blue plastic clip needs to be removed and the lever needs to be lifted 90 degrees and turned in order for the oil to flow out, but safety wire wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a Fumoto on my Duramax diesel about 2 years ago. Mostly to keep the oil from running onto the front skid plate at the end of the drain cycle during changes. The Fumoto extends the oil stream past the back edge of the plate. Poor engineering on GMC's end honestly.

The handle has to be lifted before it can turn, it requires some effort. That is a good thing. So far it has not leaked at all between oil changes. It does flow more slowly when draining because the internal bore is smaller than the drain plug opening. It comes with an excellent gasket that replaces the factory crush washer. It is a high quality valve, very well made and does exactly what it is advertised to do.

Honestly I would not consider putting one on my FJR or my DR650 because it would have to hang down below the engine. On my truck it is tucked up behind and above a skid plate and it does not point straight down. I would never consider it on my truck if it were used in deep mud either.

I installed a Fumoto on my Mazda6 a couple oil changes ago. Definitely makes oil draining easier and less messy. With 0W-20 oil, it still drains out of the [smaller] hole pretty fast. No leaks so far and works as advertised. As RfH says above, the valve [obviously] hangs lower so if it weren't protected I'd be careful. Zoom has a belly pan that covers up the filter / drain area.

I've considered trying one on the FJR as I don't believe it would hang much lower than the existing casting protecting the drain plug. Still a risk if you run off a curb or other ledge. Don't know if the cost - benefit is there...

Hopefully someone has one installed and can vouch for the clearance.

~G

Let's see. It takes about 30 seconds to remove (perhaps I am slow) a FJR drain plug, works great, is solid and has nearly zero risk of being sheered off. I think I will stick with what works well.

Hmmm....maybe I should have posted this on a Friday. As I had just stumbled across this on the net, I thought it was a great piece of ingenuity. I'm sure it certainly has its' applications, as Redfish and Escape have mentioned. I do agree the use on a lower car or motorcycles, obviously may not be the ideal application, just commenting on the broad application of this product from autos, motorcycles, and HD machinery. Not very often you see that.

My cub cadet has a valve built in on the engine to drain the oil.
Just sayin, Dave
So does the Kawasaki V-twin on my Hustler Zero Turn. It works well but drains kinda slow. But it is completely protected and does not hang down below anything.

Hmmm....maybe I should have posted this on a Friday. As I had just stumbled across this on the net, I thought it was a great piece of ingenuity. I'm sure it certainly has its' applications, as Redfish and Escape have mentioned. I do agree the use on a lower car or motorcycles, obviously may not be the ideal application, just commenting on the broad application of this product from autos, motorcycles, and HD machinery. Not very often you see that.
It's a really cool piece of kit. My version is slightly older, it does not have the blue retaining clip, only the spring loaded handle retainer. Mine works really well, I am glad I bought it and the slower draining doesn't really bother me. I am usually crawling back out from under the truck and changing the fuel filter while the engine oil drains.

But I sure wouldn't want it on my FJR. I might put one on Pop's FJR...

I have one on my F150 b/c it kinda angles down and out about 45 degs. On the FJR it would hang too low and break off when I hop the occasional curb.

It is a nice piece of work tho. Latching handle, etc. Oil does drain more slowly so it has to be heated some.

My cub cadet has a valve built in on the engine to drain the oil.
Just sayin, Dave
Oh yeah?! Well my truck has a drip tray with a spout to catch the oil from the oil filter. Ha!

I put something like this on my truck years ago, and some idiot found it amusing to drain my oil for me in a supermarket parking lot. If you've read any of my past posts, I had a guy at my workplace that put rocks in my oil (in my FJR), so I had to buy a locking oil filler cap. On a previous cruiser I once owned someone cut one of my leather bags open...These days folks find it too tempting to tamper with other peoples' things, especially on motorcycles, so anything that can't be properly secured I stay away from...

Last edited by a moderator:
People use these on small aircraft a lot as it is a pain to get to the actual drain bolt without removing a ton of stuff. Saves an hour or more (so I have heard) ... Id use one in a second on any bike that the drain bolt was not the lowest point of just about everything ...

FJR ? Seems like a problem waiting to happen ...

Cool and useful thing in the right application though ...