Pilot road 3 long term test

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just ordered a pair of PR2's (B-spec rear) as in the past I've found that I can consistently get 10,000 miles out of these - two-up and loaded most of the time.
My second set of PR3's still have a little life left in them (much less than the OP's) but they are barely over 7,000 miles now and won't see 8,000 for sure.

Love the grip and handling of both types of PR's, but don't see enough rain in our semi-desert valley to take advantage of the 3's superior(?) grip in the wet.
Glad 'somebody' understands the difference in these two tires.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Another difference: The PR3 rear tread suddenly disappears at the end...the PR2 will give plenty of warning.
This.

SE Ohio on the way to EOM in NC last year. Got up in the morning, eyeballed my tires like always, "Oh ya, good till next season!"

12 hours later after running mostly backroads all the way to NC I was VERY glad to hear Continental/Harpers had a special deal on tires for the event. They would've lasted the weekend (maybe), but sure wouldn't be making the trip all the way home.

The interesting bit was we weren't running that hard. At least I wasn't. Maybe 7/10ths, and I wasn't blasting out of corners.

Another difference: The PR3 rear tread suddenly disappears at the end...the PR2 will give plenty of warning.
This.

SE Ohio on the way to EOM in NC last year. Got up in the morning, eyeballed my tires like always, "Oh ya, good till next season!"

12 hours later after running mostly backroads all the way to NC I was VERY glad to hear Continental/Harpers had a special deal on tires for the event. They would've lasted the weekend (maybe), but sure wouldn't be making the trip all the way home.

The interesting bit was we weren't running that hard. At least I wasn't. Maybe 7/10ths, and I wasn't blasting out of corners.
oh suuuure you weren't running that hard. wink wink...

I ran several sets of the PR2s and for me they would start handling like a truck after 5-6,000 miles. I did get a lot of upper body exercise for those last couple of thousand miles though.
smile.png
And yes I was running 40psi in front and rear. Great tires for me except for that. Running Avon Storms now. Handling doesn't diminish as much later in the tire life, but don't get quite the mileage the PR2s got.

GP

I have over 12K on my PR2's and could easily get another 2K out of them. They are just hitting the wear bars at this time. EOM is comming up soon so they will get switch out before their liife is over. Staying with the PR2's until I can't get them anymore. Like you said in the end it is good upper body exercise.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: