Pinlock pins and drill bit - Retrofit Shoei shield.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
I'm looking to retrofit my Shoei helmet standard shields (CW-1) with pinlock pins and antifog insert. the missing piece: pinlock pin and drill bit. Does anyone know or try to do it yourself against standard shield before? I don't know what size of the drill bit nor what kind of pins to work with CW-1 shield inserts. Thanks a lot.

All face shields are a normal "wear" item, so you'll be getting a new one before your helmet wears out anyway. So get the new one now, with the pins factory installed, and put the insert in it and leave it in it. Then you'll have two interchangeable shields that will be a LOT easier to switch than trying to remove and reinsert the insert in the same shield, and you won't have to place and drill the pins (I'm pretty sure that would be a real PITA, if it's even possible).

Plus Pinlock recommends not riding at night with the insert installed--although I'm sure most everybody with a Pinlock does this all the time. I'm sure they're just worried about liability. Still, the insert does cut down on light transmission a little. So keep both shields, maybe one for summer, one for winter. Or day and night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pinlock used to have a kit to install pins in a shield. I only found the kit internationally and I'm not even sure it's still available. Google will give you the current answer.

Like SacMike, I'd suggest just buying a pinlock ready shield. I love my pinlock and wouldn't be without it here in the rainy, cold Pacific Northwest when hiding behind my big FJR Vstream windshield. Because it can and does rain at any time around here, I just keep the pinlock installed all year. I noticed some ghosting when first riding at night with it, but very quickly got used to it and don't even notice anymore. A little ghosting is much better than a totally fogged shield you can't see out of at all. ;)

I retrofitted a pinlock to a Shoei, I think it was a Shoei OEM one. It came with a template to place over the shield to show where to drill, a suitable drill bit and the correct asymmetric pins.

I noticed the ghosting at night too and it isn't too bad but I might take mine out if I was going to be riding somewhere with lots of traffic, lots of headlights, but overall it isn't too noticeable.

Haven't purchased a new one in awhile, but IIRC pinlock inserts used to include a new set of pins with it. Might be worth checking it out.

I'm with the collective...buy a pinlock ready shield and forget about it. Like Harald, my pinlock stays in year around in all light conditions. A little distortion/ghosting beats all fogged up.

YMMV

--G

I have two standard shields of RF-1100 helmet that are pretty new since my gf rarely wear (she rides few times a year with me). I myself have a HJC with factory pinlock insert and work very well under cold weather against fog. I though I want to explore the option to retrofit the Shoei shields with pinlock. It seems rather simple with the right pins, drill bit, and a template to match the hole position. Google shows only one company in UK 'racevisors.co.uk' that sells a kit. I emailed them about fitment and waiting for reply before ordering one. The universal kit costs about $44 including a universal insert, a drill bit, and pins. The option of going factory ready pinlock shield is attractive too as suggested above.

I'm looking to retrofit my Shoei helmet standard shields (CW-1) with pinlock pins and antifog insert. the missing piece: pinlock pin and drill bit. Does anyone know or try to do it yourself against standard shield before? I don't know what size of the drill bit nor what kind of pins to work with CW-1 shield inserts. Thanks a lot.
I'd tryt a Fog City insert before I'd start drill'in holes in mah helmet. https://www.amazon.com/Fog-City-Pro-Shield-Insert/dp/B000VSTKHU

Got me a SHOEI Air that came w/ a pinlock, but also have a RF1100 w/ iridium face shield 'n a Fog City insert. The FC is almost as good as the pinlock, and much easier to clean.

I ride almost daily in the dark with a pinloc. Headlights, streetlights, dark country roads. The pinloc simply isn't a concern. Even if there were issues, they would be far less of a concern than visual impairment from fog/icing with non-pinloc shields. Once properly installed, a pinloc (all mine, anyway) is trouble free. Just don't use paper to clean the pinloc or the plastic shield and you're good. Easy to clean. I used to remove them in the summer, but since I get some fogging in the wee hours even in summer, I leave them in year round. Set it and forget it. Buy one today....

I ride almost daily in the dark with a pinloc. Headlights, streetlights, dark country roads. The pinloc simply isn't a concern. Even if there were issues, they would be far less of a concern than visual impairment from fog/icing with non-pinloc shields. Once properly installed, a pinloc (all mine, anyway) is trouble free. Just don't use paper to clean the pinloc or the plastic shield and you're good. Easy to clean. I used to remove them in the summer, but since I get some fogging in the wee hours even in summer, I leave them in year round. Set it and forget it. Buy one today....
Right there with you. Ride to work in the dark. Come home in daylight (usually). Never take it off. Just had to replace the insert after several years of daily use.

Latest posts