Pirates Lair Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
I'm looking at backrest options. The Pirates Lair one (https://pirateslair.net/YamahaStealth.htm) looks intriguing, but it involves putting a rack and three different screws into the OEM rack, which makes it quick and easy to put the backrest on and off. Question is: does anyone know whether you can leave that Pirates Lair rack on and still have an OEM topcase fit securely into the topcase rack? Otherwise, you'd need to keep switching the backrest rack and screws depending on whether the topcase or backrest would be used, which could be done but would be a PITA.

Anyone with experience or knowledge (based on photos) on this?

It doesn't look like the OEM top case mount plate would work with this backrest on, even if you replaced the large knob with a simple bolt. The center of the bracket appears to stick up too high. The other issue you might have is that it could inhibit the case lid from hinging open (too tall???)

One alternative (to use them together) would be to add some spacer tubes, and still longer screws, on top of the backrest plate to raise the entire case mount plate up high enough to clear everything. There are some stabilizer pads at the rear of the plate that now would be hovering in air, but you could probably add some spacer blocks there too. In my opinion though, the OEM case mount leaves a bit to be desired in the strength department anyway, and raising the case higher above the tail section is going to only worsen that issue.

Why not just buy the OEM backrest pad and add it to the case? IMHO, the case looks better with it on. You can buy them new for $90 and I've seen them for $50 used on ebay. I originally didn't have one on because I never have a passenger back there, but soon added it to "finish it off". It's strictly there for looks now. Oh, and it also helps keep the paint from getting chipped when my helmet is on the back seat and I flip the case lid open without thinking.

my $.02

I have both the Pirates Lair Stealth backrest and the OEM top case with optional back pad. I agree with RZ, add the back pad. It looks better and - interestingly - my wife and twin 12 year olds don't notice much of a comfort difference between the back rest and top case back pad.

Now, that also may be due to the fact that I can't get any of them to ride for more than an hour at a time.

But I don't think you'll be happy with the appearance of any jury-rigged contraption that will let you use both the back rest and top case simultaneously. However, if you come up with something . . . post pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just buy the OEM backrest pad and add it to the case? IMHO, the case looks better with it on. You can buy them new for $90 and I've seen them for $50 used on ebay.
Any hints of where they're available at that price? My quick search on the Internets gave me prices north of $200 -- for that, I'll go buy some down pillows and bungie cords.