Have backrest, what bag options?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propbuildervash

Reaction score
I just bought a 2010, it came with a Pirates Lair backrest which has its own mounting bracket.

I two up with the wife, she's pretty partial to a backrest.

Since the OEM mount area is gone, what are my options for a tail bag now? Do I need to make a custom shelf to bolt over the tail to the PL backrest bracket?

I hear that the tail subframe can be overloaded and fail so that also concerns me. What are you guys using if you have a backrest? I'm potentially open to switching backrests if something better exists.

713645537.jpg

Quite a few people get the Givi SR357 rack to replace the OEM rack and get the backrest that attaches to the Givi topcase. The SR357 strengthens the subframe and the pad on the case is not bad although doesn't offer the same support as a proper backrest.

First I'd get the Yamaha aluminum rack to directly replace the factory one. That'll ease your mind about the overloading unless you stick a child back there and still keep the PL backrest.

Once the backrest is set, the big knob can be replaced with a sleeker bolt, like a button head cap screw. Then you can use nearly any semi-soft bag strapped down with no difficulty. Throw an allen wrench for the bolt in the bag.

First I'd get the Yamaha aluminum rack to directly replace the factory one. That'll ease your mind about the overloading unless you stick a child back there and still keep the PL backrest.

Once the backrest is set, the big knob can be replaced with a sleeker bolt, like a button head cap screw. Then you can use nearly any semi-soft bag strapped down with no difficulty. Throw an allen wrench for the bolt in the bag.

Are you referring to Yamaha part number 1MC-F48D0-V0-00? I saw that on their website but they only list 2013-2023 years as compatible.

Are you referring to Yamaha part number 1MC-F48D0-V0-00? I saw that on their website but they only list 2013-2023 years as compatible.
Try looking up the Gerauld Stiffy Kit on a search. This kit reinforces the stock subframe that is prone to cracking/failing. I use it and it has proven to be a reliable addition. Gerauld, although retired, may still have one or two left.

Try looking up the Gerauld Stiffy Kit on a search. This kit reinforces the stock subframe that is prone to cracking/failing. I use it and it has proven to be a reliable addition. Gerauld, although retired, may still have one or two left.

No luck on the stiffy, Gerauld is no longer making them. I have some diagrams but I gotta see if any of my welding friends feel up to the task.
Having never purchased any type of bike luggage, who are the companies to make semi-soft luggage that are considered the gold standard?

Broken subframes are generally a function of overloading a topcase on the OEM rack and riding bumpy roads. As mentioned, the Givi rack will strengthen the subframe but I don't think it ould work with the backrest you are showing.

I have a "T-Bags" soft luggage that has a slot that fits over the backrest and straps that I wrap around the riders grab rails and cinch down. Usually carry around 30 pounds in it. This bag has been on multiple road trips and logged well over 50k miles with no issues.

Attachments

• S, Dragon, Dips 2.jpg
    S, Dragon, Dips 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • S, Dragon, Dips 3.jpg
    S, Dragon, Dips 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I just bought a 2010, it came with a Pirates Lair backrest which has its own mounting bracket.

I two up with the wife, she's pretty partial to a backrest.

Since the OEM mount area is gone, what are my options for a tail bag now? Do I need to make a custom shelf to bolt over the tail to the PL backrest bracket?

I hear that the tail subframe can be overloaded and fail so that also concerns me. What are you guys using if you have a backrest? I'm potentially open to switching backrests if something better exists.

View attachment 5247
I’ve actually been able to use a Shad X58 and retain the pirates lair mount bracket

Will send pics later but nice to have a large trunk and when I take it off still have a back rest option

I’ve actually been able to use a Shad X58 and retain the pirates lair mount bracket

Will send pics later but nice to have a large trunk and when I take it off still have a back rest option
I'd love to see the pics! This sounds like the ideal setup for my needs. I see the install calls for standoffs, did you just use the pirates lair bracket in lieu of the standoffs?

Only thing not standard is the Yamaha aluminum luggage rack/ handle rail. Which is recommended with any larger trunk anyway.

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

This could work with the Shad aluminum mounting plate but I did not want to do any out of the box modifications. Hence why I have a brand new Shad aluminum mount posted as available. For my needs I should have saved the $$ and not purchased it.

Is the Yamaha aluminum handle compatible with the 2010? The website just lists it for 2013+. Did you drill into the aluminum handle to mount the base? The instructions made me think they had their own bracket.

1692812941103.png

I did no extra drilling

You do not need the Shad bracket/s in your diagrams unless the Yamaha one is not available for your bike. The base plate that comes with the X58 is what I used while others have used the Shad aluminum mounting bracket that I believe dues need to be drilled. Personally I like the expandable Shad as I can keep it small until I require extra space. Others here love their Givi or OEM trunks.

There are may here much more knowledgeable than me on the topic concern Yamaha part compatibility that may chime in.

SADDLEMEN

R1300LXE Deluxe Roll Bag - 3515-0075​

https://www.denniskirk.com/saddlemen/r1300lxe-deluxe-roll-bag-3515-0075.p506845.prd/506845.sku
35150075met.jpg

Hi There,
I've found this rear rack which is made by Yamaha "https://yamaha-motor.com/p/fjr-rear-rack-top-case-mount", If you are looking for something cheap then you can go for this shad rack "https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-top-case-rack-yamaha-fjr1300-2006-2019?sku_id=1273984" but I think for this you need to buy a supported top case which I couldn't found on their website.
I would suggest you go with the Yamaha-made rear rack and I think for that you need to remove the backrest but you can attach this top case "https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-challenger-leather-wrapped-hard-motorcycle-trunk" with that rack as it also comes with the backrest as well.

I have an old, sun faded Nelson Rigg Day Runner backrest bag. I just strap it down to the rear seat when traveling, even when nearly empty, just to take up the space between me and the top case for smoother handling. I'm sure they have plenty of other options. And believe me when I say- go to a couple HD dealerships and check theirs out. They have nice, high quality stuff.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/cruiser-touring