Plastic Fastener Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DallasFJRRider

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this forum, but one of the first things I read was someone replaced the plastic fasteners with BMW SS torx head screws. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this process, like how you attached the screws to the body panels.

Thanks........Ken

Not sure how that would be a benefit. The fasteners are easy to remove and install as they are, I can't imagine trying to get a tool into some of the spots where they are located.

Not sure where you read it, either, although some folks have changed out the plastic fasteners on their windshields. Many here -- me included -- think that's a bad idea. (Use advanced search for "plastic fasteners" and see what pops up.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan on removing body plastics often.. I recommend bulk buying of the 3 different (someone will correct me, because they know I am wrong) sizes of the plastic rivets that you will inevitably drop into black holes, or destroy by stepping on them or just pulling them in and out.

that sounds easier and less time consuming than actually replacing them with some kind of torx head screws. (heck why Torx?, you are gonna use a hex to get most of the screws off that reveal the fasteners. why would you want to need two different types?)

I've replaced some of the metal, allen head, button screws on the fairing with BMW stainless torx screws. I see no practicle way nor reason to do the same replacement of the plastic rivets. The rivets are effective, easy to use and cheap to replace (if you do not buy them from Yamaha). I replaced the screws with the torx because I had them on hand, I carry torx tools because all of Spousal Unit's bikes are BMWs, the torx screw heads are less likely to get bunged-up and I like them. Additionally, the torx screws have a pointed tip that is easier to start in the captured nuts than the OEM hardware. I have BMW caps on my tire air valves too.

Where can you buy the rivets in bulk, and what are the different sizes? So far I've only seen the one size on the battery cover. I bought a few from the dealer but they are a ridiculous price. I did search on Amazon but there are so many different lengths (the ones on the battery cover are 6mm dia. but online there are many different types and they seldom give the length.) I did look on the "Bin-o-facts" but couldn't find it there. Good idea about using the BMW screws with the Torx heads as Theresa still has her BMW.

Well after owning 4 BMW's with both hex head and torx head fastners, I find the plastic fasteners a PITA. And I lost one someplace when I removed the battery cover to attach electricals. So like K-Flyer asked, where can you buy the bulk plastic fasteners? I tried Jack's Small Engines and they don't seem to stock the fasteners I ordered, but were happy to charge my CC immediately and then tell me they had to order them. That was over 3 weeks ago, I cancelled the order.

Thanks.......Ken

Hmm. One is 6 mm the other 7.
...so pull one out of your fairing and check it. It only took a couple minutes to find those two links...Google is your friend.
rolleyes.gif

Having a bad day, Joe? I did pull them out before I did a search on Amazon, my usual Go-To place. Found dozens of 6mm push rivets, every configuration you could think of but none corresponded to the OEM fasteners I had on hand. I thought perhaps some helpful person who had purchased some that worked well could point to a source.

The eBay ones you pointed to are close, but the upper flange is slightly smaller. It will probably work.

I ordered a bag of the 6mm from Amazon and it didn't work. The OEM pin when pushing in, only the part below the panel expands. These from Amazon tried to expand uniformly so it didn't work.

They may look close, but they wouldn't work.

I bought these from Amazon and they work. They are shorter than OEM but have worked so far. PM me with an address and I'll mail you a couple so you can check.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00678RET4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This offer valid to the first five respondents only. Not valid outside the continental United States. Must be 18 or older to apply. Offer may be rescinded without warning. For a complete copy of the rules of this offer send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: 200 Tigertooth Avenue, Malbo, Bioko Norte, Equatorial Guinea NWT282

Haven't lost/needed any for the '15 from the count left in the package used/broke/lost 4 of 'em on the '08.

Remember they were a little harder to click "open", but seemed to work fine.

image1_zpsyl5yyl05.jpg

Wrenchbender, that looks like the packs at the Yamaha dealer where I bought my bike. They carried every size except 6 mm! Go figure!

I've replaced some of the metal, allen head, button screws on the fairing with BMW stainless torx screws. I see no practicle way nor reason to do the same replacement of the plastic rivets. The rivets are effective, easy to use and cheap to replace (if you do not buy them from Yamaha). I replaced the screws with the torx because I had them on hand, I carry torx tools because all of Spousal Unit's bikes are BMWs, the torx screw heads are less likely to get bunged-up and I like them. Additionally, the torx screws have a pointed tip that is easier to start in the captured nuts than the OEM hardware. I have BMW caps on my tire air valves too.
Such Sacrilege! Say it aint so,BMW parts on a YAMAHA.
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif