please help,, has anyone had this problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth_Gary

Reaction score
I have 81k on my 06 fjr,,i raced an 08 with 13k n beat it by a little,i mentioned that because i dont think there is anything mechanically wrong with the engine,,i went to a track day today,,i was going good and when i came in after the 3rd session it was dripping lots of oil out of a drain tube i believe coming from the air box,,the inside of the air box is wet with oil,,it was throwing so much oil in the air box that it fouled the spark plugs,at first i thought it was over filled,,,but no it wasnt over filled,,is there a pcv or something else responsible for this,,i notice a drip just a drop or two about a month or 3k ago,,PLEASE GIVE ME ANY IMPUT U GUYS HAVE THANX

I have 81k on my 06 fjr,,i raced an 08 with 13k n beat it by a little,i mentioned that because i dont think there is anything mechanically wrong with the engine,,i went to a track day today,,i was going good and when i came in after the 3rd session it was dripping lots of oil out of a drain tube i believe coming from the air box,,the inside of the air box is wet with oil,,it was throwing so much oil in the air box that it fouled the spark plugs,at first i thought it was over filled,,,but no it wasnt over filled,,is there a pcv or something else responsible for this,,i notice a drip just a drop or two about a month or 3k ago,,PLEASE GIVE ME ANY IMPUT U GUYS HAVE THANX
I don't think you're gonna like MY input.....

Yes, there is a PCV system and hose. In this first photo, you can see it plumbed to the engine block on a brass 90 degree fitting above the transmission and the hose indicated by the arrows..

day_01e.jpg

It connects directly to the airbox at the inlet nipple right in the top/middle of the airbox indicated by the left arrow.

Day_01f.jpg

There is oil being slung around by the transmission gears where the PCV outlet nipple lives, but certainly not enough crankcase pressure, under normal circumstances, to blow it up that Z-shaped hose and into your airbox.

What would concern me, reading your circumstances, is that an 81,000 mile motor is experiencing some compression blow-by, effectively pressurizing the bottom-end and gearbox.

If my motor (gulp!) did what you just described yours did, I'd seriously consider having a compression test done to check the condition of the rings. You've effectively described a bad set of rings, IMHO.

'Howie

[SIZE=8pt](told ya you wouldn't like my input)[/SIZE]

Thanx Howie for the pics and imput,,,I am going to drain some oil out it might be overfilled,,,

I think Howie dinged it out of the park. I don't know if the breather connection on the crankcase is valved. If it is, yours might be defective. If its not, the compression test will probably bring some bad news.

Thanx Howie for the pics and imput,,,I am going to drain some oil out it might be overfilled,,,
Did you let someone else do your last oil change? If so, then that could be the problem. An overfilled crankcase would reduce the "breathing space" below the pistons, which, during downstroke, would pump out an overfill at the least possible path of resistance, which would be the PCV system. Plus, since you had the problem during "race mode", i.e., during a track day, I'd expect you were bouncing the tach right off the rev limiter most of the time, pushing the pumping effect to the max.

If YOU did the last oil change, do you not remember how much oil you put in?

I would NOT recommend "drain(ing) some oil out....." I WOULD recommend dumping it all, to make sure you had an empty crankcase, THEN refill with the CORRECT amount, which is 4 quarts if you leave your old filter on, 4 quarts, 8 ounces with filter change.

Good luck. And let us know what you find out.

'Howie

KISS, do check the oil level per the owner's manual and damn the measured oil volume. If the oil level matches the owner's manual description, move on. The oil light is actually a level light, not a pressure light. If the oil light stays off you have at least the minimum required oil.

There have been a number of reports of stuck rings. My '04 at just ~40k had stuck rings in three holes. There is a chance that stuck rings can be chemically freed. Since my engine was already totally disassembled we just put in a new ring set.

One Forum member had an air leak between the air box and the throttlebodies which caused ring/cylinder wall failure. I dunno if it was ever determined if it was rings or worn cylinders. The cylinders are coated with a ceramic-composite (Yamaha's words) which should be almost as tough as diamonds so I wouldn't suspect the cylinders to be bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx guys ,,but it is shot,,# 1 had 15lbs compression,,pulled the head and the valves r cherry,,big groove in #1 cylinder 1/4 inch wide,,case is cracked right there,,,so i am getting a 2006 motor off ebay,,n putting my upgraded trans gears in the new motor, the new motor has 9971 miles on it,,but i lost my faith in the fjr,,i might keep it because i wont get shit for it,,,but i want to get that bmw k1300gt so bad i can taste it,it might take a minute to get the bread,,,but i will get it,,what i am really worried about is will the bmw have a forum as good as this one,,

,,what i am really worried about is will the bmw have a forum as good as this one,,
,,NO!,,

Sorry to hear about the crack in the cylinder and resultant compression loss. Good luck with the BMW.

Question ~ If a "one in a million" cracked cylinder causes you to lose faith in the FJR, how will the frequent and well reported final drive issues of the BMW affect your feelings? :blink:

Don

thanx guys ,,but it is shot,,# 1 had 15lbs compression,,pulled the head and the valves r cherry,,big groove in #1 cylinder 1/4 inch wide,,case is cracked right there,,,so i am getting a 2006 motor off ebay,,n putting my upgraded trans gears in the new motor, the new motor has 9971 miles on it,,but i lost my faith in the fjr,,i might keep it because i wont get shit for it,,,but i want to get that bmw k1300gt so bad i can taste it,it might take a minute to get the bread,,,but i will get it,,what i am really worried about is will the bmw have a forum as good as this one,,
Sorry to hear the bad news. Any idea why the engine went south?

Interesting on how you beat that 08 FJR with a bad cylinder. WTF?!?!?

At least you got a smoking deal on that engine. I was watching that on ebay. If a Gen II motor would work in a Gen I FJR I would have snapped that motor up. $203 for a complete engine with 10k miles? Awesome.

It's more than just a scar --

pulled the head and the valves r cherry,,big groove in #1 cylinder 1/4 inch wide,,case is cracked right there
His engine block is alleged to be cracked. I think this is a first!

Say, I know a couple o' guys with good blocks but bad cylinder heads...

A cracked block poses lots of questions about storage, exposure to low temps/coolant replacement intervals, thrashing of the motor by operator (track days beyond the scope of the design), etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that it's only mistreatment that can lead to this failure but given the history of the bike over the past 9 years, this is rare enough that it was either a defect in the block or something to do with PM or extensive use beyond the design envelope.

None of which would cause me to lose faith in the bike or the motor unless my intended use for the bike I bought was something other than what the S-T bike was designed for. Perhaps a track bike is in order?

Sounds like, from a drip being reported 3k miles earlier, that possibly a ring had already broken, starting the downhill slide. The broken ring starts grinding a groove through the ceramic composite cylinder bore coating. So the "race" with the '08 was probably on a dying, but not dead motor. Then the track day ground enough of the composite away that some serious cylinder pressures had access to bare aluminum block material, already stressed from the grooving, which then simply cracked.

All in all, a REALLY sucky situation. But like Skoot said, a complete engine for less than a new rear PR2? :dribble:

That's cheaper than doing a valve adjust on the 81k motor!

With the proliferation of digital cameras, it certainly would help any diagnosis to see a pic of this.

Maybe moot, tho -- since OP already has a replacement?

Maybe double-moot -- since it appears he's off-to-BMW...? :unsure:

I have 81k on my 06 fjr,,i raced an 08 with 13k n beat it by a little,i mentioned that because i dont think there is anything mechanically wrong with the engine,,i went to a track day today,,i was going good and when i came in after the 3rd session it was dripping lots of oil out of a drain tube i believe coming from the air box,,the inside of the air box is wet with oil,,it was throwing so much oil in the air box that it fouled the spark plugs,
<snip>... it is shot,,# 1 had 15lbs compression,,...big groove in #1 cylinder 1/4 inch wide,,case is cracked right there
PLEASE GIVE ME ANY IMPUT U GUYS HAVE THANX
Funny..., no mention of (excessive) exhaust smoke -- you'd think, with a cylinder-wall groove to the crankcase (or crack?) and enough oil consumption to foul spark plugs, there'd be (obvious) smoke...? :unsure: