please help,, has anyone had this problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let me try to clear this up a little,,i have holeshot pipes p/c 3 n airbox mod,,had it dyno tuned again on the 17th of october,,it made 129 h.p. 85ft lbs of torque,,raced the 08 on the 21st of october n beat it,,went to the track on the 26th of october n fucked it up,,this was my baby i broke this bike in mototuneusa i had 222,,220,218,220 compression,,at 65000 miles,used mobil 1 ,i have only hit the rev limiter twice since i owned it,what did it i think was a downshift,,i didnt take into the red that much,,but the speed to which it got there is what did it,,the cases r sleeved maybe the sleeve is plated i dont know,,the sleeve is broke out,,5/16 wide n about 1 1/4 long down the cylinder from the top,,i guess the pieces went out the exhaust without causing any valve to piston damaged,,the head looks ok,,i will try to get my friend to help me with some pics,,i am not very computer litterate,,please be patient,,best regards,, smooth gary

From your description, it doesn't sound like it was just cylinder pressure forcing oil out the breather.

308956696_o.jpg

If the cylinder sleeve broke out a chunk, you would have had coolant under pressure enter the crankcase since the sleeve is surrounded by the water jacket. 240 degree coolant entering the crank and gearbox would be enough to blow oil out the breather like an air cannon on Mythbusters. VERY ugly what my be inside your bottom end and transmission.

Let's hope not.

CLICKY

Looks like Gary's already found a "new" '06 motor for replacement.

Kinda kills all the fun speculating about what happened and how to fix it on the cheap. :glare:

CLICKY
Looks like Gary's already found a "new" '06 motor for replacement.

Kinda kills all the fun speculating about what happened and how to fix it on the cheap. :glare:
Looks like we're going to find out how a Gen 2 engine goes into a Gen 1 bike.

Oops, nevermind, I see that he has a 2006 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible he lost a circlip off the end of a wrist pin and the wrist pin worked sideways cutting the groove in the cylinder wall? I once saw this kind of damage in a 327 Chev small block.

:dribble: :blink: :dribble: :blink: :dribble:

JEBUS...that block is toast.

In the last pic in the sequence, were those pieces of piston rings? The previous pic of the piston wasn't clear enough for me to tell if there's a chunk of ring missing or an actual chunk of piston missing directly above the wrist pin.

That's some ugly damage. Future coffee table foundation.

the rings r cherry,,those r pieces of cylinder sleeve that forced there way past the piston n went into the crankcase,,,my dealer is trying to see if yamaha will cover it,,he has never seen anything like it,,,

It also looks like there is a hole in the block leading to the coolant chamber. I am thinking if this i the case that some corosion set in and blew the sleeve inward. Defective block leading to failure in my opinion. I cant imagine that this didn't destroy the piston.

Good luck and i think you have a good case against mama yamaha.

it didnt go through to the water jacket,,it is just the sleeve that is broken off,,the piston is real thin at the wrist pin area,,when the pieces broke off the sleeve the piston drug them down to the crankcase not damaging the piston the way u think it would,,the ring lands r all there n the rings still turn in there grooves,,THIS ONE IS REALLY UNUSUAL

that was mild,,,what if the pieces of sleeeve got up between the piston n head,,it might have locked up,,punched a hole in the piston bent the valves,,n even could have bent the rod n spun a bearing,n threw a rod right threw the case,,like a 1957 triumph T-110

that was mild,,,what if the pieces of sleeeve got up between the piston n head,,it might have locked up,,punched a hole in the piston bent the valves,,n even could have bent the rod n spun a bearing,n threw a rod right threw the case,,like a 1957 triumph T-110
BWAHAHA!!! :rofl:

What's the difference? Complete and total FUBAR is complete and total FUBAR. Kinda like saying "Imagine if he'd died from a stroke instead of a heart attack!"

Dead is dead. That block AIN'T being fixed. It is complete and total FUBAR.

IMO there is really no reason for the piston to come apart there, unless there was a casting/forging defect.

The FJR is a great Sport Touring bike, not a race bike. I would stay a little behind the red area on the tach. ;)

I have 81k on my 06 fjr,,i raced an 08 with 13k n beat it by a little,i mentioned that because i dont think there is anything mechanically wrong with the engine,,i went to a track day today,,i was going good and when i came in after the 3rd session it was dripping lots of oil out of a drain tube i believe coming from the air box,,the inside of the air box is wet with oil,,it was throwing so much oil in the air box that it fouled the spark plugs,at first i thought it was over filled,,,but no it wasnt over filled,,is there a pcv or something else responsible for this,,i notice a drip just a drop or two about a month or 3k ago,,PLEASE GIVE ME ANY IMPUT U GUYS HAVE THANX
Have a cylinder Leak Down test performed. 10% is nominal on a good average motor . Over 15% and you gots problems! It will tell whether it rings or valves.

Edit: Never mind, Just saw the other pics! OUCH!

Just got off the phone a little while ago with Smooth_Gary. Had a nice chat.

His bike is all back together with his new motor in it, compllete with upgraded gear set he had in his old motor.

Now swapping out a motor all by myself was enough of a challenge to me....Gary split the cases and Frankenbike'd his entire transmission into the new case. That's some guts!

BTW, he's having trouble getting on the board. Username not recognized and/or password rejected. I wondered aloud if he'd been banned for wearing out the comma key on his keyboard ( :lol: ) but he says the problem comes and goes. Can get on one day, then not again for a month, then on again, then off again.

???