Plugged fuel filter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the OP --

The conversation drifted away from the TPS, but I've had that go and it fits your symptoms. And it's also intermittent. As long as you've go the recall notice, why not let someone else tinker with it for free and see if that solves the problem?

Back to the OP --The conversation drifted away from the TPS, but I've had that go and it fits your symptoms. And it's also intermittent. As long as you've go the recall notice, why not let someone else tinker with it for free and see if that solves the problem?
Gonna call the local Yammie dealer this week to set up the appointment.

Update on the issue...

...pretty much NO update.

Woke up this morning with all intentions to ride the Feej to work to see if I could duplicate the problem I had Sunday. But during my usual pre-ride walkarouind, I noticed the oil in the sight glass was WAY over the "full" mark. Couldn't see the top of the level, in fact.

Hmmmmmm......quick twist off of the filler cap, stick my finger down in hole and pull out a sample.

VERY strong gas odor! Like, you're filling up the tank gas odor.

No riding today!

Got home a little while ago and changed the oil. Thin as water and looks like two-stroke pre-mix. Oily gas.

I'm guessing what happened is that while I was in the diagnostic mode to check the TPS sequence, and then when to #61 check if any fault codes existed, I wouind up on #62 instead. Just pushed the reset button once too many times. But when I entered #62, the fuel pump starts running and doesn't shut off. After realizing my error, I went to #61 to check fault codes and didn't find any. Went BACK to #62 to clear any faults and the fuel pump takes off again. Advanced back to #1 to check the TPS -- all okay -- then went to #9 to check the state of my battery. Fuel pump takes off AGAIN!

I guess I severly flooded the engine with all the pump activity, hence the over-fill and diluted oil.

Glad I checked before riding this morning.

Put in a fresh gallon of Mobil 1 and will drive the FJR tomorrow. We'll see if the power-loss gremlin shows up again.

RH

Last edited by a moderator:
Yer a funny guy.. ya know that?

I woulda just tossed a match into the crankcase an let the gas burn off.

Oh well... Sum guys enjoy extra werk, an sum just have loads of cash to waste....

:blum:

:jester:

Yer a funny guy.. ya know that?
I woulda just tossed a match into the crankcase an let the gas burn off.

Oh well... Sum guys enjoy extra werk, an sum just have loads of cash to waste....

:blum:

:jester:
I just faced one of the toughest decisions of my life.......

Read one of your posts, or jab a fork in my one good eye.

Now I can't see shit!

:fuck:

Maybe a coil on the way out?
-Don
I wouldn't dismiss anything at this point, but it acted like it was out of gas when I attempted to run over ~2500 rpm. Back off on the throttle and it started running again. Throttle up - die. Throttle down - run.

?????

-Don
I wouldn't dismiss anything at this point, but it acted like it was out of gas when I attempted to run over ~2500 rpm. Back off on the throttle and it started running again. Throttle up - die. Throttle down - run.

?????
Someplace in post #12 the coil possibility was mentioned along with a test.

And I will add, have you checked your air filter along with a check for any rodent nests that may be blocking air into the engine which can cause the same symptoms?

-Don

?????
Next time it happens see if it will throttle/rev up with clutch pulled as this decreases the plug/ignition load. Either way pulling the ngk's will prolly tell the tale

-Don

edit

Sorry, Ionbeam,.. just went back and read # 12 i've got to stop skimming,....I might actually learn something.

Fuel pump could run all day and not fill the motor with gas. Unless the injectors are pulsing, no delivery. Severe misfire can dilute the oil. Cold starts-short tripping can dilute the oil. A leaky injector/injectors can flood the motor, dilute the oil (poor hot starting a clue). A TPS indicating large throttle opening with no accompanying throttle blade opening and subsequent air supply can flood the motor, dilute the oil, lower operating compression, and prevent the motor from operating correctly, but not necessarily prevent higher speed operation, unless the TPS signal is disappearing at larger throttle openings. What, if anything, did the TPS diagnostic indicate? Check also MAP operation. Check fuel pressure regulator (pull vac line, check for fuel in line, will usually cause poor hot starting). Keep in mind diagnostics can be performed while engine is running-simply be in diagnostic mode before starting engine. Keep in mind also, for future reference, that using the killswitch will shut off the fuel pump, so it will not keep pressurizing the rail while playing around. Pull plugs, with fresh plug cycle coils via diag screen by grounding plug and look for fat blue/white spark. Screw plug caps into wires tightly-often pulled loose if careless when removing for various maintenance operations.

Me thinks to check the air filter for any ubstruction. Blocked air flow will tend to suck gas into the engine. Hence the dieing when increased throttle. Low RPM's dosn't need much air. High RPM's needs much more air. IMO its an air flow restriction. .02 cents worth.

definatly getting the gas. washed rite by the piston rings. (AIR, AIR, AIR) check for mice nest in your air filter.

Man, I think folks are waaay overthinking this. It's something simple - like a temporary non-venting tank or the fact that Howie is a moron.

I betcha he won't be able to get it to happen again.

Man, I think folks are waaay overthinking this. It's something simple - like a temporary non-venting tank or the fact that Howie is a moron.
I betcha he won't be able to get it to happen again.
While possible, what of the bikes that had partial tank implosion due to non-venting yet no mention was made of running problems? Not all is what it seems. When you consider how powerful the fuel pump is, this being a venting issue seems less likely.

There's only one fact here. Howie's a moron. If we made more fun of him he might smarten up a bit. That's a long shot, though. As for the gas in the oil....it'd burn off once the oil got hot enough.

Dammitt...dammitt...dammitt!!!

Couldn't drive the Feej today. Had to cage it for a load I had to carry. Wouldn't fit the sidecases.

Will check the air filter first thing tonight.

Rad, thanks for taking the high road and not beating up on the forum 'tard. No, not Busta, the other one. :)

Oh, Odot and Skoot....go piss up a rope, m'kay? Take turns. More efficient that way. :fuck:

Hey, you got a back seat and some bungee cords....shoulda done that. Then again....you are a moron.