POI on Around Superior ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanahanman

Reaction score
Heading out from Toronto through Sarnia and along the eastern edge of Michigan ( Hwy 25 and 23)and up through Mackinaw City.

Along 2 up to Houghton then through Duluth along 61 to Thunder Bay...etc.

Any spots in the US part of the trip I should check out?

I will be stopping at Betty's Pies for sure!

Kakebeka Falls

Ouiment Canyon

Rossport

Aquasobon Falls

White River (Coldest temp ever recorded in Canada, and Home of Winnie the Pooh. Stop at the A&W, can miss it).

Wawa goose.

Magpie Falls.

Old Woman Bay

Sand River Falls.

Anywhere in Superior National Park.

This ought to give you some clues.

Here, one more hint: https://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/superiortour.shtml

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. Been up north a number of times and am familiar with those sites.

Ususally stop at the store in Wawa for summer saussage :)

Looking for input for the US side of the route.

I have a ride report posted from a 2-day trip I took last fall along the entire stretch of the north shore. The state parks are plentiful and most of them have sites to see and photograph that are very close to the road, or that only require a very short hike. You can see the details from my trip here.

. For something different, take a slight detour and check out the Delta Diner https://www.deltadiner.com/.
Mapped
smile.png

This may be common knowledge, but time your border crossing at Sarnia carefully. We passed through there in 2014 mid-day on an August weekday and the queue for US customs was backed up for many, many miles. I ended up jumping into the Nexus lane and riding up to where the lanes split up into the many separate queues for the individual booths. and jumped into a line. It probably isn't encouraged, but it was freaking hot as a pistol that day, and we were riding a 1st Gen FJR at the time. We'd have died of heat exhaustion if I stayed in line for the 2 hours or more it would have taken to get to an agent.

We stayed at the Lakefront Quality Inn in Saint Ignace, which was quite nice, and reasonably priced with the AMA Choice Hotels discount. Every room has a waterfront view and little balcony you can sit out on. Some restaurants within walking distance.

That crossing has been good and bad for us in the past.

Looks like I'm going over around 2 pm on a Sunday.

I might look into the Blue Water ferry just south of Sarnia but that would add an hour anyway.

Copper harbor, whitefish point, the berry patch restaurant in paradise, route 58 (not to be missed)

And the (ahem) road up to whitefish point (20 miles up and back or so) is (maybe) a good place to do a big sweeper speed test. The upper peninsula is curiously devoid of much traffic enforcement.

Not advocating anything reckless but, well, you know.

Probably can't even pin it in 2nd and sweep but I'm a novice compared to some of the other nut heads on this forum that make me look silly.

5th? Not so much. But willing to learn.

Maybe on my klr.

And the (ahem) road up to whitefish point (20 miles up and back or so) is (maybe) a good place to do a big sweeper speed test. The upper peninsula is curiously devoid of much traffic enforcement.
Not advocating anything reckless but, well, you know.
Riiiight
smile.png

No one has suggested Aerostich in Duluth yet? Or is that just an assumed stop? Just 4 blocks west of there on Superior Street is Randy's Diner. Great comfort food and pie! Check out the Aerial Lift bridge, too.

After you stop at Betty's (for pie), visit the Blue Water Cafe, 20 West Wisconsin Street, Grand Marais, MN. For a proper pie comparison.

Well onto the Canada side, but highly recommend the Kinniwabi Pines restaurant in Wawa. 150 King's Hwy 101. Fancier fare, and I don't recall them having pie.

DSCN3556_zpsmun0of6r.jpg

Copper Harbor, Brockway Mountain Drive, don't miss the Jampot in Eagle Harbor.

Have you ridden the Westside of the MI? M25 in the thumb is a fairly boring ride, M23 north is better but both pale in comparison to M22 on the West side. Ride M25 if you want to try it once, then pick up Highway 10 near Bay City over to the west side. Take 31 into Manistee where you can pick up M22 north. Lots of winding twisty roads with small tourist towns and parks. Take M22 all the way to North Port at the top of Leelanau Peninsula and back down into Traverse City. Then run 31 north to Charlevoix, Petoskey and pick up M119 (also know as the tunnel of trees) to get to Mackinaw. Can easily spend a few days finding great food and sight seeing and fun roads to rind in the TC and Petoskey area.

If you stay the East rout, there is the little town of Frankenmuth just south of Saginaw. It is a Christmas store shopping meca, not my thing but many like it. it. There are the Thumb brewery and Frankenmuth brewery, both are decent but much better to be had in MI. Along M23 Wiltse's in Oscoda, is a good lunch/dinner stop, they have awesome pulled pork.

As others have mentioned H58 in the UP between Munising and Grand Marias is a must ride. The Superior Brewing Co in Grand Marias is a great lunch stop, if you can get in. During the summer season plan for a wait.

Copper Harbor, Brockway Mountain Drive, don't miss the Jampot in Eagle Harbor.
+1 on Brockway Mtn. Dr. My wife and I got married up there. Take US 41 up to Copper harbor, and then take Brockway Mtn Drive on the west side of town up along the ridge and it will spit you back out at M26. Take M26 down the coast to Eagle River for a beautiful ride.
smile.png

Lake of the Clouds is beautiful too, over in the Porcupine Mtns.