possible clutch slipping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth_Gary

Reaction score
i have been reading this forum for 2yrs,n have learned alot,, i have syn oil in this fjr since it had 1500 miles on it,,it has 46000 on it now,,,this is a good bike,no problems,,compression 210 to 215 on all 4,,my problem is when get on it in second gear,,it feels like it slips just a couple rpm,,then its ok,,it doesnt do it in any other gear,,it is no a dog affair i dont think,,n there is no tapered shafts n half moon keys to sheer,,, do u think the clutch is slipping just a little,,maybe because of syn oil,,,has anyone had a problem like this

IMO. If it were the clutch it would slip more in 1st. Sounds like 2nd gear dogs popping out then back in. But I could be wrong.

IMO. If it were the clutch it would slip more in 1st. Sounds like 2nd gear dogs popping out then back in. But I could be wrong.
i changed the oil in the engine and rear end,,n they both look good,,i just dont see how dogs could do that,,it goes into gear perfect,,then when it gets up near 7 or 8 grand it happens,,not everytime though,,,i never missed a gear,,speed shifted,,or shifted without the clutch,, because i read about bent shift forks and shafts in this forum,,if i dont get on it,,it doesnt do it,,,

i changed the oil in the engine and rear end,,n they both look good,,i just dont see how dogs could do that,,it goes into gear perfect,,then when it gets up near 7 or 8 grand it happens,,not everytime though,,,i never missed a gear,,speed shifted,,or shifted without the clutch,, because i read about bent shift forks and shafts in this forum,,if i dont get on it,,it doesnt do it,,,
SG,

Realize you stated that you've read about the 2nd gear problems. This thread seems to cover both gear and clutch, with additional links.

Clicky

thanx capt. bob, i read some of that stuff,,,its the dogs in second,,i knew it was,,,but didnt want to admitt it,,because i knew it was a major tear down,,i have extended warranty,,,,,,hope its covered

i been going over this in my head for a couple day,,,,check it out,,,heres what i come up with,,when i first got this bike,,,break in,,the shift lever was tight n u had to make sure your foot went down far enough for the ratchet to work,,it always clunked or ground alittle going into second,, i have never ridden a bike that i could feel the feedback through the shifter pedal the way the fjr did, ,clutch didnt drag,,u could start it cold in gear with the clutch in,,my thinking was it had a middle shaft,,3 shafts in the trans,,so it had more rotating mass,,so it would be normal to clunk more,,what i dont understand is why they would have a motorcycle engine that redlined at 9000 rpm,n had 145 hp,,n didnt undercut the trans gears ,,if the gears were undercut this would never have happened,,if it was a 6 speed that would help also,,the ratios wouldnt be as wide,n, the dogs would be spinning closer to the same speed,,i wonder if they r going to let me undercut the gears they will be putting in, if they dont,,, ITS JUST A FIX, IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN,,BECAUSE WE HAVENT FIXED THE PROBLEM,,what do u guys think of all this

i been going over this in my head for a couple day,,,,check it out,,,heres what i come up with,,when i first got this bike,,,break in,,the shift lever was tight n u had to make sure your foot went down far enough for the ratchet to work,,it always clunked or ground alittle going into second,, i have never ridden a bike that i could feel the feedback through the shifter pedal the way the fjr did, ,clutch didnt drag,,u could start it cold in gear with the clutch in,,my thinking was it had a middle shaft,,3 shafts in the trans,,so it had more rotating mass,,so it would be normal to clunk more,,what i dont understand is why they would have a motorcycle engine that redlined at 9000 rpm,n had 145 hp,,n didnt undercut the trans gears ,,if the gears were undercut this would never have happened,,if it was a 6 speed that would help also,,the ratios wouldnt be as wide,n, the dogs would be spinning closer to the same speed,,i wonder if they r going to let me undercut the gears they will be putting in, if they dont,,, ITS JUST A FIX, IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN,,BECAUSE WE HAVENT FIXED THE PROBLEM,,what do u guys think of all this

I had the 2nd gear dogs go out on my (bought new) 83' GS750E. I always wondered if people sitting on it on the show room floor played with the shifter and bent the shift forks.

I think that when a clutch first starts to slip, you would notice it more in 3rd or 4th gear. 2nd has more overall reduction and the revs would likely "catch up" with any slight slippage quickly.

This was the case with my old Venture Royale which also had the diaphragm clutch spring. Fortunately, Barnett makes a coil spring adapter plate for that bike with much stronger clutch springs.