Powder coat wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my wheels off last night. If that is powdercoat I'm not believing it. Scratched the paint taking off clip on wheel weights. Didn't scratch where I pried but where they were clipped on. Stripping down now for real powdercoat. The rear is a pain and will be costly to put back together. Just don't like the black wheels.
Add some decals, several types out there.

Covered in the FJR Comparison Matrix we encouraged you to review when you signed up.
I have to retract that statement and an FYI that I'm going to be tweaking my matrix as I can't find, remember, or verify the source documentation that I placed powder vs. paint on the matrix. I have a memory that I DID have a good reason to put it at the time, but after last weekend talking with some other FJR owners I know....let's say opinion was divided. It's also divided on the forum in this thread and others.

Mea culpa.

That said, I did some looking at the vast majority of model years represented in Auburn over the weekend and did, at least, make some solid observations about the the coating techniques (i.e. were they dipped or sprayed) and several different finishes on the coatings. I'll be updating the matrix in the near future once I can lay eyes on a couple of model years that weren't present. Hint: the most interesting are what I think are the uncommon "Glossy Graphite Sprayed" on certain AE models and those that bought extra rims from Yamaha.

I powdercoated the wheels on my '04 w/o issue.
ZHLeUCC.jpg
What wheels are those? They don't look like the ones on my FJR.

And one more thing, can you powdercoat some rims in Yamaha blue or High-viz yellow?

I powdercoated the wheels on my '04 w/o issue.
[img=[URL="https://i.imgur.com/ZHLeUCC.jpg?1%5D"]https://i.imgur.com/ZHLeUCC.jpg?1][/URL]

And one more thing, can you powdercoat some rims in Yamaha blue or High-viz yellow?
As far as color, I think you're only limited by your imagination. A couple people have powder coated their rims blue. I think Keeifer did his '05 that way. Looked very cool.

Those are off my '04 FJR. I can do most standard colors (not Yamaha blue), but it may be cheaper to have them done locally due to shipping costs.

Covered in the FJR Comparison Matrix we encouraged you to review when you signed up.
I have to retract that statement and an FYI that I'm going to be tweaking my matrix as I can't find, remember, or verify the source documentation that I placed powder vs. paint on the matrix. I have a memory that I DID have a good reason to put it at the time, but after last weekend talking with some other FJR owners I know....let's say opinion was divided. It's also divided on the forum in this thread and others.

Mea culpa.

That said, I did some looking at the vast majority of model years represented in Auburn over the weekend and did, at least, make some solid observations about the the coating techniques (i.e. were they dipped or sprayed) and several different finishes on the coatings. I'll be updating the matrix in the near future once I can lay eyes on a couple of model years that weren't present. Hint: the most interesting are what I think are the uncommon "Glossy Graphite Sprayed" on certain AE models and those that bought extra rims from Yamaha.
Did you make that matrix?? I was introduced to it even before buying my FJR or before joining this forum.. I have it bookmarked and it's a great resource.. thank you!!

PS- when clicking on your BLOG link I get a database error. I removed the IBR09 from the URl and then your page loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you make that matrix?? I was introduced to it even before buying my FJR or before joining this forum.. I have it bookmarked and it's a great resource.. thank you!!
PS- when clicking on your BLOG link I get a database error. I removed the IBR09 from the URl and then your page loaded.
Yep. Back in 2006 when it was getting hard to keep track of and remember the differences between 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2005 1/2.....I decided to capture some information. Glad I did! Because I think some of that information is really hard to recreate and it's even harder after 2 or 3 generations since then.

Thanks on the link note. Updated.

Ignacio, you are completely off-topic! Thoroughly spank yourself, and not in the good way!
to_keep_order.gif

Back to powdercoating, and particularly Garaulds 6-spoke wheels that I have never seen before. All the FJRs I've seen have three fat spokes. Am I the only one that sees this?

Oops, my fault. Those were a set of wheels I did for another rider. They are not off my FJR, although I also did mine similarly. I'll see if I have a photo of them.

How tough is powder coating? I get the feeling the FJR wheels are pretty soft. Is the powder coat going to hold up applied to that kind of material?

Latest posts