Power comander 5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberlin5

Reaction score
I just ordered the New Power Commander 5 for my 07 FJR. I spoke with a tech and he was very helpful, I bought this unit from fuelmotousa.com and they will do a custom map for you. I was told this would work on several models besides the 09 like it says. He was telling me that the only reason Dyna tech is saying it is for 2009 models because they do not have any maps for anything else. Fuelmoto does a map for you and you can request other maps as needed to download. If anyone out there has any experience with this unit on your FJR i would love to hear how it is working and if you have adjusted or found new maps to try.

I would like to get something set up to where we anyone that is using the pc5 could share the maps from others. I was also told that this unit has the ability to use the same maps from the PC3 the only thing you have to do is to input the data yourself. Also this unit has a 15% open throttle position which the PC3 does not have so that would have to be factored in.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Jberlin5 B)

I have some limited info on the PC5, I also bought one from fuelmoto, and they mapped it for my bike. The only mod I have made are Dale Walker slip ons. Which I like a lot, but back to the PC5. My impression so far after 500 miles, is that it idles smoother, and it revs faster. My fuel milege is still around 42, over all I am glad I purchased the PC, and I feel more comfortable that the bike is not running as lean as stock.

I have some limited info on the PC5, I also bought one from fuelmoto, and they mapped it for my bike. The only mod I have made are Dale Walker slip ons. Which I like a lot, but back to the PC5. My impression so far after 500 miles, is that it idles smoother, and it revs faster. My fuel milege is still around 42, over all I am glad I purchased the PC, and I feel more comfortable that the bike is not running as lean as stock.

I put a PCV on my '08 AE with the Autotune add on and I love it. For the price of a custom map the Autotune feature will let you make your own and if you change something later you don't have to pay sombody to redo it.

I put a Power Commander on my 09 with my new Holeshot header system and the PC-V was the one available. I emailed Dynojet beforehand and they told me I could simply copy/paste the PC-III map into the PC-V using the software from both. I had a PC-III on my 05, so I already had the software for that. For the 15% throttle position, they had me just average the 10% and 20% values. So, I took Dale's PC-III map and created a PC-V and everything is smooth as butter. If anyone needs the PC-V map, contact Dale as I sent him a copy.

PC III/ Aftermarket exhaust Question

Just got an 04' What are the benefits of a Power Commander III? Should I be looking to get one, is the bike gonna become supercharged, is it some form of turbo charging. Read a few threads, and kind of understand that it has a lot to do with fuel supply to injector, but what is the gain. Looked on sites at prices..what am I going to gain with spending $299-$499? And I suppose you have to add labor to hook it up, I surely don't want to screw up the fuel supply.

While asking, what about exhaust. Getting aftermarket exhaust, what am I going to benefit. My wife put some cobra's on her Shadow Aero, and of course it sounds like a roaring dream for $399.00, but I want some quiet sport touring, what will the AM exhaust add to my FJR?

And if I get the exhaust, will I need to get the PCIII to make the engine perform-match to the exhaust system. Heck, the best price I have seen for the exhaust is $650-and goes to $1100.00.

If I spend this $1400 to $2000 What will my FJR gain?

I just got off the phone with the folks at DynaJet (Very nice sales staff by the way)

They told me the following

1) They have no plans to make the III officially compatible with 09 and newer bikes as they want to start to phase out the III

2) They have 2 maps available for the 09, Stock Airbox/Exhaust and one for Aftermarket Airfilter/two bros exhaust

3) The V has inputs for more stuff (stuff we won't use...but it does have it)

4) The V is 10 bucks more then the III

All I want is to get rid of the buzz and richen the bike up a little....I'll probably order this week :)

I just got off the phone with the folks at DynaJet (Very nice sales staff by the way)
They told me the following

1) They have no plans to make the III officially compatible with 09 and newer bikes as they want to start to phase out the III

2) They have 2 maps available for the 09, Stock Airbox/Exhaust and one for Aftermarket Airfilter/two bros exhaust

3) The V has inputs for more stuff (stuff we won't use...but it does have it)

4) The V is 10 bucks more then the III
Good info! Thanks for investigating.

All I want is to get rid of the buzz and richen the bike up a little....
Quit smokin' ganga.......and start stuffin' bills in yer Feej's thong! :lol2:

Unfortunately I don't know where to get Gangja, and I have no bills left to stuff in a thong after buying all the farkles :)

I actually just ordered the PCV from Fuelmoto, they have it for 279 and even are going to put the correct map on it for me :)

Unfortunately I don't know where to get Gangja, and I have no bills left to stuff in a thong after buying all the farkles :)

I actually just ordered the PCV from Fuelmoto, they have it for 279 and even are going to put the correct map on it for me :)
Why do you guys put thongs on your FJRs?

I have enough trouble without trying to make the bike even sexier...

Be sure to report back and let us know how it works.....

and how long it takes for your grounding block to go tits up. :assassin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't plan to touch my spider grounds, I'm going to run the Ground for the PC to the battery so that there is NO question :)

I'm actually curious to see if it really makes a difference

Installed my PCIII from from fuelmotousa.com and it was worth every penny. It took about 2 hours to install because I didn't expect to have to lift the tank, but very simple once that was done. It came pre-loaded with a map for my stock '06, but I decided to run the calculated smoothness map first. Does anyone have a preference for which map is smoothest?

great response. it is good to be able to find out more information. i have mine ordered and should be installing this weekend. I will let everyone know how the pcv works. Also if some one could point me in the direction for the smoothness map that Dale has it would be great.

jberlin5 B)

you can use the maps for the pc3 on the pc5 you just have to input the tables by hand or make a spread sheet. The only other thing is the 15% open throttle column, Now i am no expert on this. this is just my understanding after talking with fuelmoto tech support. So if some one can send me the smoothness map i will give it a try on my PC5 when it comes in and see how she works then report back.