Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
Having done the G2 throttle tamer and still found that my '07 still has low RPM/on-throttle jerkiness, I'm biting the bullet and trying the PC solution. Just ordered from Fuelmoto, per recommendations on this board. Have those going the PC-V route found that there's any shake-down cruise, or after install does it tame that jerkiness right away?

FiveG

FiveG are you also going with the Autotune O2 sensor? I have the same issues with the same year. I have a PCIII and it has not solved the issue. I will be curious to see if the PCV solves the issue.

Join me my brothers in this little chant... "07s are the worst year for ergonomics!"

I feel your pain.

My 07 is smooth as warm butter. But it took a lot of work to get it there. PC-III works, along with G2 throttle tube, cable slack removal, Gen-I clutch slave, capping the PAIR system, immaculate intake valve adjustments and TBS, and some damn clean throttle body butterflies.

Let me know if I can help. I'm full of it (suggestions).

Back on topic... I sure hope you ARE adding the Autotune option. I want to hear all about it.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case, it was plug and play with the PCV and map provided by FuelMoto. Not perfect, but I haven't played with it too much because I didn't want to affect fuel economy. I already had the G2, removed throttle slack, and backed off the middle throttle spring (a must). Probably can't go too wrong with the Autotune.

I had already done the throttle spring unwind and the G2 throttle tube on my '07 before buying my PC5 from fuelmoto. I don't think either of those mods made much difference. The PC5, on the other hand, completely changed the bike for the better. To me it was like night and day. Much easier to modulate the throttle coming out of a slow speed turn. I was getting ready to sell the bike before the PC5, not anymore.

One of the questions that almost always comes up when discussing Power Commanders is "does your fuel mileage get worse". Well last weekend I finally got a chance to do a long trip. According to the bike computer, I averaged 53.6 mpg doing an 800 mile loop around central and southwest Colorado including several mountain passes. I was quite surprised as I don't think I ever had that good of mileage before. YMMV

FiveG are you also going with the Autotune O2 sensor?
This is going to sound like a stupid answer, but . .. Not sure. When I ordered from Fuelmoto, we discussed my bike, its farkles, and age, but we didn't discuss Autotune. Is it automatically included in the PCV, or can I add it on if I think it's needed?

One of the questions that almost always comes up when discussing Power Commanders is "does your fuel mileage get worse". Well last weekend I finally got a chance to do a long trip. According to the bike computer, I averaged 53.6 mpg doing an 800 mile loop around central and southwest Colorado including several mountain passes. I was quite surprised as I don't think I ever had that good of mileage before. YMMV
Don't believe the computer's fuel mileage after installing any kind of piggyback fuel injection system. The computer computes fuel mileage based on how much fuel it's telling the injectors to allow through. The PCV (or PCIII, etc) intercepts the fuel injector signal and adjusts it, so the computer is calculating fuel mileage based on incorrect information.

Don't believe the computer's fuel mileage after installing any kind of piggyback fuel injection system. The computer computes fuel mileage based on how much fuel it's telling the injectors to allow through. The PCV (or PCIII, etc) intercepts the fuel injector signal and adjusts it, so the computer is calculating fuel mileage based on incorrect information.
Makes sense. I should have known it was too good to be true. I'll have to check it soon the old fashioned way.

I looked for this being brought up previously but did not see it...

The DynoJet site and my local dealer do not list the PC-V for a 2007 FJR, the PC-III is listed instead.

Does the PC-V fit and work on FJRs before 2009? Other than the smaller size is there any advantage

(or disadvantage) to the newer version?

Thanks!

:edit:

PC-III for 03-05 Part no: PC409-411

PC-III for 06-08 Part no: 1020-0244

PC-V for 09-10 Part no: 0120-0894

I have my PCV (new in the box). It's getting installed and dyno-tuned in the morning. I am expecting reduced throttle snatch, decel popping from my Holeshot cans, and maybe slightly lower operating temps. Is this realistic for a custom tune from an experienced shop? Is there anything else I should expect?

Makes sense. I should have known it was too good to be true. I'll have to check it soon the old fashioned way.

My experience with the PC III on an '06 is that the real mileage is about 4mpg less than the computer calculates.

I looked for this being brought up previously but did not see it...
The DynoJet site and my local dealer do not list the PC-V for a 2007 FJR, the PC-III is listed instead.

Does the PC-V fit and work on FJRs before 2009? Other than the smaller size is there any advantage

(or disadvantage) to the newer version?

Thanks!

:edit:

PC-III for 03-05 Part no: PC409-411

PC-III for 06-08 Part no: 1020-0244

PC-V for 09-10 Part no: 0120-0894
Saw that too. The guys at fuelmoto claim that the PC-V does work with their retrofit (https://fuelmotousa.com/pcvretrofit.htm), and that's what I'm having put on my '07. I think there's other guys on this site who have PC-Vs for their pre-09. Someone chime in?

OK, thanks, I think I understand it now. DynoJet doesn't have the PC-V for older-than-'09 FJRs, but Fuelmoto has made some mods and warranties their unit for two years on the '03-'08 bikes, adding $50 to the cost.

I've looked at the Bin-o-Facts for Gen II, and the entries for the PC are all from 2007. The links to forum users' maps are all dead. Does anyone have a website with the maps developed by forum members from back then, like "wally smoothness" map, "useless pickles" map, etc?

Thanks,

Richard

DynoJet doesn't have the PC-V for older-than-'09 FJRs, but Fuelmoto has made some mods and warranties their unit for two years on the '03-'08 bikes, adding $50 to the cost.
There's no modifications required to put the PCV on a '06-'08 FJR. The only thing you'd get with the $50 is the 2-year warranty through Fuelmoto. Dynojet technically doesn't support the PCV on earlier than 2009 models (they likely did this for simplicity so they wouldn't have to make exceptions for tons of bikes). I can't imagine that Dynojet would actually refuse to honor a warranty or support issue with the PCV on a GenII bike, seeing that it works without any modifications at all.

Does anyone have a website with the maps developed by forum members from back then, like "wally smoothness" map, "useless pickles" map, etc?
You can get the original smoothness maps and my "calculated" Gen II versions here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=27653

DynoJet doesn't have the PC-V for older-than-'09 FJRs, but Fuelmoto has made some mods and warranties their unit for two years on the '03-'08 bikes, adding $50 to the cost.
There's no modifications required to put the PCV on a '06-'08 FJR. The only thing you'd get with the $50 is the 2-year warranty through Fuelmoto. Dynojet technically doesn't support the PCV on earlier than 2009 models (they likely did this for simplicity so they wouldn't have to make exceptions for tons of bikes). I can't imagine that Dynojet would actually refuse to honor a warranty or support issue with the PCV on a GenII bike, seeing that it works without any modifications at all.

Does anyone have a website with the maps developed by forum members from back then, like "wally smoothness" map, "useless pickles" map, etc?
You can get the original smoothness maps and my "calculated" Gen II versions here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=27653
Here it is

I have an 07 with the Cat's removed , holeshot headers, K+N filter and opened the airbox, G2 throttle, no i have not released the spring "yet", installed and have run the PCV with the autotune and the base map that fuel moto supplies "yes it does work -direct plug-in "

Yes fuel mileage went down, always get around at least 36 mpg but do get better when I do not have a fat throttle hand, cruising around can get about up to 45 mpg if i stay under 70 mph and do not thump the throttle thru the gears and that is figured out thru miles divided by gallons in case you are wondering not the gage indicator-it is way off.

i believe the base map runs on the rich side at least for my bike, Keep in mind that the PCV runs on a fuel to air ratio map and the trim from the autotune helps keep it there. I will be changing the map by adding .2 all the way thru it to see how it effects the gas mileage and performance in the near future. It did same as the PC3, help with the jerky throttle without a doubt. i myself am more interested in having a smooth running with performance bike then about a little less fuel mileage. i would not have bought an FJR if I wanted high mpg.

One thing Fuelmoto says is that they'll support with modified maps for people who purchase from them, so if you tweak the bike, presumably you can get them to run a new map. Whether that's worth the money is of course unknown (at least to me).