Throttle hangs after mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrofish1

Reaction score
Hi all, got an 07 FJR and I recently did the throttle spring mod on it, went to start it up to test it out and if I blip the throttle it revs to about 3000rpm and hangs there’s for a few seconds before coming back down slowly. I read that this is normal above 5000 at cruise but this is happening just off idle. I can get it to come back down if I roll forward on the throttle but it is a large surge in power at a low rpm.

I have not yet lubed the cables and if I adjust the cable for less slack so the throttle snaps back faster the problem still exists. Should I adjust for even less slack or does the spring need to be put back? I was under the impression that even if the spring wasn’t on the tab anymore that it would be ok. Mine sits slightly above the pulley tab now that it used to sit on.

The “mod” was to just unwind the spring 

one turn or  so. If it is completely slack 

( unwound too much ) you can restore

some tension with a piece of string or

wire to pull the spring back into the

proper position. HTH

The “mod” was to just unwind the spring 

one turn or  so. If it is completely slack 

( unwound too much ) you can restore

some tension with a piece of string or

wire to pull the spring back into the

proper position. HTH
That's what I was afraid of lol, it's entirely possible that someone did the mod already before me. I was attempting it last night with some safety wire but had some other things to do so I didn't spend too much time on it, will try it again today. Thanks

You mentioned in your introductory post that you just got the bike.  I wouldn't go messing around with stuff like throttle springs (or any other mods) until you have had a chance to ride it some.  Personally, I never felt that the throttle took too much effort.  Don't have a cruise but even a throttle lock allows me to take my hand off the grip and restore circulation if it starts to cramp.  Lubing the cable might help but it sounds like you went too far with the unwind.

Make sure the cables are routed correctly and that there is some (not too much) slack or free play in the throttle.  If there isn't some free play, the throttle might not return correctly, especially if the bars are turned to one side.  Manual calls for 0.12" to 0.20" (3-5 mm) of free play.

You mentioned in your introductory post that you just got the bike.  I wouldn't go messing around with stuff like throttle springs (or any other mods) until you have had a chance to ride it some.  Personally, I never felt that the throttle took too much effort.  Don't have a cruise but even a throttle lock allows me to take my hand off the grip and restore circulation if it starts to cramp.  Lubing the cable might help but it sounds like you went too far with the unwind.

Make sure the cables are routed correctly and that there is some (not too much) slack or free play in the throttle.  If there isn't some free play, the throttle might not return correctly, especially if the bars are turned to one side.  Manual calls for 0.12" to 0.20" (3-5 mm) of free play.
I was doing the mod because I would ride for about an hour and my wrist would start to cramp up, seemed to take some effort to keep the throttle twisted. Next week I'll be lubing the cables and undoing my spring unwind.

I bet you see a big improvement after lubing the cables. Put a towel down under your work!

Also get a cramp buster. I have a throttle lock but rarely use it, the cramp buster I use all the time.

I bet you see a big improvement after lubing the cables. Put a towel down under your work!

Also get a cramp buster. I have a throttle lock but rarely use it, the cramp buster I use all the time.
I've tried the cramp buster, didn't work for me, but I have the throttle lock and used it on my last trip, works well. Will report back after throttle lube.

Make sure your riding position is such that you have little or no weight on your hands. That will quickly fatigue them. Especially the throttle hand. My first FJR was an 07 and I never modified anything with throttle. Handlebar and riding position solved any issues for me.

Status update, after a combination of safety wire fishing and using a pick to push the spring up while I actuated the throttle to make clearance, I got the spring back into place but it was a nightmare I won’t be doing again. Shot some lube into the cables despite the plastic bits getting in the way, throttle is easier to turn now. Adjusted for some slack, before there was no slack.

After putting the spring back, revs come down when I let off the throttle as it should 😀

Make sure your riding position is such that you have little or no weight on your hands. That will quickly fatigue them. Especially the throttle hand. My first FJR was an 07 and I never modified anything with throttle. Handlebar and riding position solved any issues for me.
In addition to this, grippier gloves will really help so that you don't have to "squeeze" to keep the throttle where you want it.

Dan

In addition to this, grippier gloves will really help so that you don't have to "squeeze" to keep the throttle where you want it.

Dan
Wanting a grippier throttle on my Gen 2 bikes made me do this:

(Click on image for larger view)

It consists of a strip of rubber (I used a bit cut from an old inner tube) spirally wound round the throttle and held with plastic wire ties at the ends. Helped a great deal. Took it off when I fitted a cruise control, and totally unnecessary when I went to a Gen 3.

^^^^^^ I had two 07's prior to current 14 and riding position cured the hand cramping. If you are leaning into the handle bar you will suffer hand and shoulder pain.