PR 2 B 3500 miles down to wear bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

07FJRSD

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with roadsmarts both gone in 4000 miles (may have not kept inflation up @ all times). So we tried a set of PR 2's B load range and kept inflation close to 42 lbs on the rear. 3500 miles and down to wear bar. Will be putting on a new set before CFO. Not sure what to try next on the rear. The front seems to be holding up well although I think i got more miles out of the original Bridgestone 021 front than this.

Woooo... not good numbers. Most posters here do much better with the pr2. I don't think the 'B' version had anything to do with it. Do a lot of two-up riding or touring with heavy loads? Maybe all rear wheel braking. (or ease up on the burn outs. :p )

Anyhow...it just could be your riding style and no tire could deliver much more.

Hope you find your match.

Is the wear even? Is your tire guage worth a shit? Check it against your buddies.

I got 3500 miles on a set of Metzlers and they look new. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

My experience is the same as 07FJRSD's - best I get is 3,500 to 4,500 and I've tried about every brand over 55,000 miles. I'm careful with tire pressures but ride two-up and loaded - about 380 to 400 lbs of riders and gear. Only use the rear brake as a light supplement. We ride lots of mountain twisties so I do scuff up the edges pretty well leaving 1/4-inch to no chicken strips, even getting that paddlewheel effect at the treads. I'd sacrifice some sticky for some better wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this look familiar?

FjrBurnout.jpg

I have a riding buddy trying a new PR2 for the first time, I expect him to get 5K out of it. He gets 3500 to 4500 miles out of rear Road Smarts, he loves the turns and he nails the throttle on every exit.

I ride fairly aggressive and love the tight roads of the Blue Ridge mountains, you can burn up a PR2 loaded heavy running spirited in 4500 miles. Been there done that. PR2's are the longest lasting tire on the market, I think I've tried them all now. I've smoothed up my right hand and down shift less for corners for quick exits. My tires are lasting longer now.

42 psi is a must for me though, any less and my tires don't last very long. I ran 39 psi in my first front tire, it lasted about 4,000 miles. My current front tire, a PR2 kept at 42 psi is at 7,000 miles and going strong even after lots of desert curves out west last July. My past roadsmarts lasted 5800 miles front and back and they got well past the wear bars. They cupped pretty bad but, I had a lot of fun riding the tight turns up in TN, NC, VA and GA. Running up 28 to 129 from GA tears up tires fast .. :aggressive:

Have fun and ride if your budget allows.

I wasn't happy with roadsmarts both gone in 4000 miles (may have not kept inflation up @ all times). So we tried a set of PR 2's B load range and kept inflation close to 42 lbs on the rear. 3500 miles and down to wear bar. Will be putting on a new set before CFO. Not sure what to try next on the rear. The front seems to be holding up well although I think i got more miles out of the original Bridgestone 021 front than this.
seems like controlling that right wrist might be the thing to focus on if you're wanting better numbers on your rear tire.

I believe that the materials used in building your local roads have a huge effect on tire wear. On my FJR and on my Blackbird, I can easily get 10,000 miles on virtually any brand of tire. In Southeastern Michigan, there 11 curves in 318 miles so most of the wear is in the center of the tires. I just removed a set of Metzeler Z6 tires (not C rated) from the FJR that was still 3/32nds from the wear bars. I have a set of Pilot Roads (not CT2) on the Blackbird with 10,700 miles and 4/43nds of tread remaining on the rear tire. I usually run the Metzelers with 39 front and 41 rear. The Michelins have 41 front and 41 rear. I weigh around 215, usually ride one-up, and never ride much below 80 on the freeways.

I believe that the materials used in building your local roads have a huge effect on tire wear. On my FJR and on my Blackbird, I can easily get 10,000 miles on virtually any brand of tire. In Southeastern Michigan, there 11 curves in 318 miles so most of the wear is in the center of the tires. I just removed a set of Metzeler Z6 tires (not C rated) from the FJR that was still 3/32nds from the wear bars. I have a set of Pilot Roads (not CT2) on the Blackbird with 10,700 miles and 4/43nds of tread remaining on the rear tire. I usually run the Metzelers with 39 front and 41 rear. The Michelins have 41 front and 41 rear. I weigh around 215, usually ride one-up, and never ride much below 80 on the freeways.

Interesting point of view. I have often wondered about that (road surface) and its effect on tire wear, and how the surfaces may differ from region to region. We get a lot of snow and ice in Montana (duh) and our mountain roads have plenty of curves (duh, again) so maybe they use a more coarse, sharper material in our asphalt or chip seals. Regardless, I sure consume a lot of rubber.

I think road surface is definitely a factor.

Hit some rural MO roads that looked like freshly laid 40 grit sandpaper .. Great for traction but my set of Avons went from 60-70% to the wear bars and cupped to heck in about 600 miles. I'm sure some above average throttle manipulation was part of it as well..but taking the interstates and highways home I didn't notice any wear over 500 miles. I was expecting to see cords.

I think you guys are onto something as we have alot of rough asphalt and not much slab. I thought for the price difference PR 2's would out last roadsmarts. I feel they last about the same. I ride hard and fast not a ton of curves in our area. I may just try another roadsmart as performace wise they are very comparable to PR 2's. I ride mostley alone but 300 lbs doesn't help matters either. Looks like 3500-4500 miles is all I may get as I had a B021 and dunlop 220 also, same miles more or less.

Have the original stock Metzlers still on ... 7000mi ... the center is pretty flat ... but they sort of look that way new.

I've not tried PR2s myself, but of all the tires I've run on my '04 and '05, NOTHING has come close to the rear Roadsmart for me. All others I've tried have yielded 3500 - 4000 for me. Almost 8k on this tire now and even I can't believe how good it still looks. And I show my tires no mercy (especially the rear since I just love wheelies :rolleyes: ). This tire has been on the Dragon, the Cherohala, and the BRP. Slabbed it from Ohio to Deals Gap, to Birmingham, to Niagara Falls and back to Ohio, and the damn thing STILL looks good. I thought about trying an Avon Storm rear next (that's what I run on the front), but I just hate to mess with success. After trying so many others, I can't even imagine getting better life AND grip than I've gotten from this rear Roadsmart.

YMMV!

I'll back that about the RoadSmart. I have a full set and love them both. Rode to WFO on them and was concerned about wear. The rear had 5mm and the front had 4mm when I left my house. When I got to Moscow, I checked them again and they were still at 5mm and 4mm. I rode the crap out of them on the way home; pulling hard out of corners and pushing the bikes limits. The tires never slipped once and I am only down to about 2.5mm rear and 2mm front with almost 6k on them. It was obvious the turns and acceleration played a big part in accelerating the wear on the tires.

I'll back that about the RoadSmart. I have a full set and love them both. Rode to WFO on them and was concerned about wear. The rear had 5mm and the front had 4mm when I left my house. When I got to Moscow, I checked them again and they were still at 5mm and 4mm. I rode the crap out of them on the way home; pulling hard out of corners and pushing the bikes limits. The tires never slipped once and I am only down to about 2.5mm rear and 2mm front with almost 6k on them. It was obvious the turns and acceleration played a big part in accelerating the wear on the tires.

Hey dillo breath.. ya fergot to tell 'em how you tossed that hunk of poop off the trailer just outside of town..What? sixteen miles for the whole affair?

:jester:

Hey dillo breath.. ya fergot to tell 'em how you tossed that hunk of poop off the trailer just outside of town..What? sixteen miles for the whole affair?

:jester:
Look man; I don't know who you are or why you keep hassling me, but if you keep taking these threads off topic, I'm going to complain to the administrators. :angry2: Talking about poop and affairs in a response is just not friendly. :bad:

New England riding, tires wear more on the left side because of the crown they build into the roads so the water and snow when it melts will run off. :angry: