Pre-road trip checklist?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double_entendre

Reaction score
I'm going to be taking the FJR on a longish (1,100 mile) road trip and was thinking I should go through her from stem to stern and make sure all is well before I hit the road.

Suggestions as to what I should check in particular or any links to lists? Haven't had much luck with my Google Fu.

Thanks!

I just check there's tread on the tyres and air in them, and some oil in the engine. And fuel in the tank (repeat the fuel bit throughout the trip).

Things like brake pads, hydraulic fluid and stuff are looked at when serviced. No need between.

But, that's just me.

Years ago, I took my 05 on a long trip. I don't think it was ever ridden in the rain before. Anyway, it got seriously wet, and after washing it, I left it in a cold, damp garage for a couple days to dry out. When I went to start it, NO GO. Good battery, but no start. After a trip to the dealer, I found out that water caused the tabs connecting to the coils to corrode. Got em cleaned up and loaded with di-electric grease, and it started right up. Not sure if this was a Gen 1 issue that others had, but it cost me a lot of time and a lot of money. Anything to do with your trip? Probably not. But just an experience that might save others some headaches.

The trip: Do you have a tire plug kit and a way to pump up a tire? Got a good rain suit? Got a couple extra microfiber towels and something to spray for bugs? Got cher sun tan lotion? Anti fog system like a pin lock for the visor when riding in the rain? Going through the desert? Got cher Camelback so you can survive the heat? Did ya check the weather?

Good luck

Gary

darksider and soon to be IBA member

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's any chance of riding facing the sun, low on the horizon, pack along some blue painter/masking tape, which you can use to fashion a temporary sun shade on your visor.

Checklist?

Uh,

Cell phone.

Credit cards/cash

Pistol

Earbuds and tunes

And bike....

Check

Anything else is extra. If you feel safe going 10 miles on the bike you should be fine going 1200. These are "Sport/TOURING" bikes. You're finally going to use it for what it was built to do.

Tire repar kit/Ride-On sealant should already be on/in the bike right?

I just check there's tread on the tyres and air in them, and some oil in the engine. And fuel in the tank (repeat the fuel bit throughout the trip). Things like brake pads, hydraulic fluid and stuff are looked at when serviced. No need between.But, that's just me.
Checklist?
Uh,

Cell phone.

Credit cards/cash

Pistol

Earbuds and tunes

And bike....

Check

Anything else is extra. If you feel safe going 10 miles on the bike you should be fine going 1200. These are "Sport/TOURING" bikes. You're finally going to use it for what it was built to do.

Tire repar kit/Ride-On sealant should already be on/in the bike right?
If you are in the habit of staying on top of routine maintenance, 1100 miles all at once isn't really much different from half a tank at a time.Carry two credit cards in case your bank decides that your atypical charging might be a stolen card and turns off your card. Or call the bank ahead of time and ask for a hall pass! Enjoy!
BTW, if you look at the results of the recent Iron Butt Rally, you'll notice that five of the top six finishers were on FJRs. One word comes to mind: reliable.

Check that your battery cables are connected tightly. Easier to do before you start then on a dark road when she doesn't want to start for "some reason". Other than that just the usual...tire pressure, oil, lights, etc. you should be good to go. Enjoy!

Returned from a 5600 mile road trip last weekend. Preparations were an oil change, final drive oil change, tire check (new tires), and a general inspection for any obvious problems. The only problem I ran into was a weepy fork seal one day...the Seal Mate I always carry solved that problem. As long as your bike is good general condition, you'll probably be a-ok.

If there's any chance of riding facing the sun, low on the horizon, pack along some blue painter/masking tape, which you can use to fashion a temporary sun shade on your visor.
I use electrical tape for a variety of things: temporary visor as you mention, additional seal if my visor leaks in heavy rain, medical tape with gauze/rag for bites/stings, etc. I like the fact that good quality electrical tape stretches and fits tightly against surfaces. Plus I think it's just a good idea to always have some around. I use Scotch 33+, not the el-cheapo crap.

Sunscreen, like rain gear, never leaves the saddle bag.

Plexus and a couple old dish towels for the windshield and visor. I hear Pledge polish works but I've never tried it.

Mp3 with tunes. GPS and zip lock bags. Camp Dry is your friend. That's about it for the special stuff. Sticky strings, glue, compressor and tools are always under the seat.

As mentioned, if you keep up with your routine maintenance and tires, IMHO 15 miles or 1500 miles is the same. Hop on and go!

Yeah, I'm a bit behind on some maintenance, but the only thing I really must do is change the engine and fork oil.
Thanks!
You may be the only guy who changes the engine for a piddly 1200 mile ride
bleh.gif

tonguesmiley.gif

The oil has quite a few miles on it. Might as well change it now, eh?

Suggestions on where I can get a new glove box for the bike? The lid got ripped off quite a while ago and I might as well put it back in. Kinda handy on occasion.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm a bit behind on some maintenance, but the only thing I really must do is change the engine and fork oil.
Thanks!
You may be the only guy who changes the engine for a piddly 1200 mile ride
bleh.gif

Besides having the bike ready...

I like the Cash/Credit Card thingy mentioned the best. It's funny how you can get any of the rest with just this one magical attribute.

Have a fun/safe trip :)

+1 on the good tape comment. life is too short to use cheap tape.
And some 6" T&B ty-wraps. Will certainly hold on a mirror after a tip over.

Socket set, allen keys, few wrenches, screw drivers, along with other essentials mentioned should do.

Let us know how things go with a ride report, including photos damn it, hey you started it !
rolleyes.gif

Most all machines like the road, just let her roll. Keep the shinny side up and enjoy every mile.

A couple hundred bucks in small bills tucked away in the tool kit can get ya out of many jams. You never know when the card networks might take a crap.