Project Uncle Dutch - 1960 BMW /2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Heyco Discovery?

Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Sat, 12/13/2014 - 22:37.

Any chances these are orginal BMW tools provided with the bike when new?

The R60's gas tank... I had no key. Paid a locksmith. Here's what I found inside..

By my best estimate, these tools have not seen the light of day since the early 1970's.

I just wonder if they really are OEM?
Wait...what? BMW's used to keep the tools in the gas tank??!

Holy Hindenberg Bat Man.

Do the new ones store the tools in the final drive?

Yes, back in the day the hootch and tools were carried in a recessed area of the gas tank!

..if you recall, I had all the pieces..

Picture+35.png

Finally got her all put back together last night.

Ain't she Beautiful?

IMG_3582-XL.jpg

Had a '62 R69 back in '68-69. This sure brings back lots of memories. Recognize the Wixom fairing. This bike is actually in excellent condition for its age. Look forward to seeing how you solve some of the problems you are sure to encounter & what replacement parts you find.

One problem I had immediately with mine was with sticking float needles in the carbs. The float needles were attached directly to the floats, so the needles quickly developed grooves and they would stck. Later carbs used a small lever in the cap that pushed against the needle and a simple rod that went through the float & replaced the original needle, so I replaced the cap assembly & rod through the float and I was good to go.

Best Wishes on your project!

Norm Kern
https://www.bingcarburetor.com

If your bing carbuerettor looks like the one in the picture, it has the later float needle setup- the fuel inlet is off to the side of the cap. OTOH, if your fuel inlet is in the center of the cap, time to upgrade!

BTW, here's a Tip of the Helmet to the person who posted the comprehensive list of links to info & resources. Very cool!

Norm Kern

2014-12-24 Barrington's Manual arrived
Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Wed, 12/24/2014 - 22:06.

What a wonderful piece of art this manual is, at least from the cover. Beautiful.

Excellent print quality, strong binding. Beautiful color.

With VERY detailed steps..

I think I'll ship this off to Ray so he has some good reading material to cover the cold La Pine winter.. :whistle:

2014-12-24 Barrington's Manual arrived
Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Wed, 12/24/2014 - 22:06.

What a wonderful piece of art this manual is, at least from the cover. Beautiful.

Excellent print quality, strong binding. Beautiful color.

With VERY detailed steps..

I think I'll ship this off to Ray so he has some good reading material to cover the cold La Pine winter..
whistle.gif

I hope the pages aren't to slick cause if they are then it isn't much good for toilet paper. I Think that why some of the pages in the KZ manual are stuck together.
stinker.gif

What the hell, you waiting for Ray to come and get it?
He is sending the manual but I gotta go get the bike. It's good for me cause the R60 takes up less space than the KZ1300.

It's going in an enclosed trailer and we'll meet in the middle somewhere.

Still waiting for one part on the KZ. It's on the way from Singapore. Then I can put oil in it and run it more.

Mi Hermano Señor Donaldo Carver, if you wanted to fly in to PHX to attend this: I will pick you up at el Aeropuerto and you can stay at mi Casa! I still intend to have another BMW R60/2 in my garage before I croak, so I intend to attend this Bing Carburetor Tech Day on April 4. Brian "El Jefe" Boles (you have met BB before!) and Al "Dtrux" Kuenn are offering up their R60/2's to be the practice rebuild motorcycles! JSNS, Slash 2's FOREVER!

DSCF0879.jpg

Bing Carb Tech Day in the Phoenix AZ in April 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a date

Bing Carb Tech Day in the Phoenix AZ in April 4

8:30 am to 2 pm Bing Carb Tech Day in the Phoenix AZ in April 4

Latitude 33.696166

Longitude -111.867791

9851 e casitas del rio dr, scottsdale az 85255

email [email protected] or 602 502 6360 (cell)

Bring your parts or tell me what you need

Coffee and Lunch, First pour 8:30am

Please call /email ahead to let me know your carb needs and if you are attending. Working on getting a speaker for the morning.

Kirk
Scottsdale AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
BMW rider since 1967 in Wisconsin and Arizona and elsewhere in the U.S.

https://bmwdean.com/index.html

dcarver: "Dean of Beemers" just joined AZ Beemers Club. Jeff Dean of Tucson, check out link for his /2 collection! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Slash 2's Forever!

Last edited by a moderator: