purchased 2006 fjr today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love me some Boerne. The Dodging Duck is one of my favorite Brew Pubs. Maybe I will see you down there sometime.
smile.png

GP

Good choice for a bike and good luck. I recently installed a PC-5 in mine and I could not be happier with the throttle response improvement. My gas mileage is about the same. I average 43-50 mpg which I think is pretty good for a big heavy bike.

thanks for all the greetings and info. I'm convinced that I want to change out the throttle tube. I've seen a few on ebay for around 68 bucks or so. Do the local bike shops sell the G2? Does anyone know of a good source to purchase one.

steve, congrats on the purchase. If you care to do some searching you will find pages and pages of info on the G2 and the Power Commander. The info everyone gave is absolutely correct.

The ECU recall was for higher altitude fueling issues. We had it done to Pop's '07 and it did NOTHING.

The Power Commander is to address the factory's very very lean fuel settings. There are many maps for the PC-3 available to not only make the throttle smoother but also to add power. If you really care enough there is now a PC-V that has more parameters and is more capable. I believe you can run 2 different maps with a switch to allow your economy to go up. As you have already learned, the MPG readout in the dash is now useless, it is terribly optimistic. However, 48 mpg is still within your reach if you have a light throttle hand and are trying to get good fuel economy. Of course, it is not as much fun.

The G2 is easily found online. It will not always be silver, oddly enough the one I ordered came to me anodized almost exactly the black cherry color of our '07. Why do you need this? The '06 and '07 were the first years of the (Superior) Gen 2 FJR. For some unknown reason Yamaha installed an elliptical pulley for the throttle cable at the throttle bodies. This caused a very abrupt low end response.

Make sure your FJR has had ALL of its recalls done. The Ground Spider recall is of utmost importance.

Congratulations on purchasing the 2nd best looking color FJR.

I had a feeling that 48 mpg was to good to be true. I don't mind feeding her a little more fuel for smoother acceleration.
Maybe not.

Depends how you are riding.

If I cruise like a Grand Pappy I see close to 50MPG. (don't see that very often!)
rolleyes.gif

If I ride fairly agressive I average about 44MPG.

If I'm chasing my sport bike riding buds I STILL average about 40-42MPG.

\

Congrats on the purchase!
punk.gif

Thanks.............This a off the subject but is it difficult to move the handlebars back a bit. I looked in the manual it says to let the dealer do it. I usually do all my own work (when practical). Is there something unusual about adjusting the handlebars on a fjr?

Thanks.............This a off the subject but is it difficult to move the handlebars back a bit. I looked in the manual it says to let the dealer do it. I usually do all my own work (when practical). Is there something unusual about adjusting the handlebars on a fjr?
Try this link.
(Top hit on Google search: adjust handlebars site:fjrforum.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the fold Steve. IMO the FJR is the best bike buying decision I've made even with all the recalls and quirks. I'm sure you will enjoy this fine model of super sport touring motorcycle. To me this bike is bullet proof and this is definitely backed up by our good members here that have put their bikes through some very tough endurance riding like the Iron Butt Ride with some awesome results!

I concur with the G2 throttle and taking as much slack out of the throttle cables as possible for smoothness. While I have never had a power commander my 06 runs smooth now with the recalls and the new ECU. Also I have done the spring un-wind mod which helped greatly on the early models as well.

The only other recommendation I have is on the 06 models (maybe early numbers only?), which mine is, is that the stock window was made of a plastic that is way too soft and prone to scratch easily. I bought a window off a 09 from one of our good members here on the forum that is way better than the original when I first bought the bike. I like the stock window for our hot summers here.

Anyway, good luck with the new bike and may she put many miles and smiles with you in the future.

Take care, pm.

thanks......................I know what you mean about hot summers. I was riding in 103 degree heat the other day. If your moving it's not so bad but the traffic jambs can be pretty tough. I forgot to mention that the previous owner had changed out the stock windshield. It got an aftermarket windshield call a VSTREAM. Do you know much about that brand? It seems to work pretty well. I don't get much wind noise around the windshield. It seems like I get most noise down around the front fender.

thanks......................I know what you mean about hot summers. I was riding in 103 degree heat the other day. If your moving it's not so bad but the traffic jambs can be pretty tough. I forgot to mention that the previous owner had changed out the stock windshield. It got an aftermarket windshield call a VSTREAM. Do you know much about that brand? It seems to work pretty well. I don't get much wind noise around the windshield. It seems like I get most noise down around the front fender.
Sorry for a late reply. The V-Stream is a great windshield and I use one when the temps drop and the weather turns wet. The V-Stream is considered a "barn door" around here but that is a good thing for protection but not a good idea when it's warm IMO. There are lots of posts here on various windows but I love the stock one in summer. I like mesh riding gear and ride with the shield slightly open on my Arai too. The hotter it is the lower the stock window goes for me. Find out what you think is best for you though and enjoy! PM.

Thanks for all the help..............I know i'm going off the subject again but I'm going to throw one more issue out there that I can't figure out. The stock seat on the bike is set at the low position. I want to raise it to the high position to see if that fits me better. I read the manual to determine how to raise the seat. I removed the seat pulled the lower carriage up pushed the rubber knobs back into the holes lining up the hatch marks with the "h" for high position. I cannot get the seat to lock back in at this position. I don't know what i'm doing wrong but it's just not working for me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Never mind the last question about adjusting the seat height. I figured it out. There is a plastic tab that has to be removed in order to insert the stabber in the high position. It's directly under the gas tank.