• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

(Purchased!) WTB 2016 FJR1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRpilot1977

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here. I have contemplated buying one of these for 6 months now. I most recently had a 2018 Ducati Xdiavel S, what my wife HATED. She rode it once and never again. Before that was a Suzuki B-king, which is ok for 2-up, but it was no FJR. We both love the FJR, so I have narrowed it down to a 2016 ES. Looking for low miles, good maint. records, minimal damage, etc. I am located between Jacksonville and Daytona. I am limited on how far I can travel. 300 miles or so is ok. Outside of that, I may have to do something like Escrow.com. Something secure for both parties. I am open to suggestions on this too. I used Escrow.com to sell my Ducati and it was awesome. It is difficult to find these locally. Thanks in advance!

Good lucK!
I took it home! Thanks so much for the referral! The seller and his wife were great people too! Even offered to let us stay the night to rest @ his home. I didn't take him up on that, but that goes beyond any customer service I have ever experienced. Ha. I have only a couple of upgrades I am going to perform, but he had most of it already finished they way I would have. Thanks again.

I took it home! Thanks so much for the referral! The seller and his wife were great people too! Even offered to let us stay the night to rest @ his home. I didn't take him up on that, but that goes beyond any customer service I have ever experienced. Ha. I have only a couple of upgrades I am going to perform, but he had most of it already finished they way I would have. Thanks again.
Congratulations! So, how do you like it?
Looked very clean in the ad and pretty well set up. Depending on how/where you are using the bike, you might want to consider a topbox (although the Garauld rack will easily accommodate extra luggage) and an upgrade for the pillion seat - the one in the pictures looks like stock.

I would put frame sliders on it at a minimum. Perhaps tubular engine guards and sadddlebag guards if you want better protection. (I just use frame sliders.)

Love it! Thanks for asking. So far, I have owned 2 Yamaha R1's, a Suzuki m109R, Suzuki B-King as I have mentioned, a supermoto race bike, and a Ducati Xdiavel S. 3 of those bikes, I think I was really searching for what the FJR is, but I looked past it. I was doing it wrong.:ROFLMAO: The only other bikes I would ever add to my garage are the Aprilia Tuono Factory for fun and track days (rode once and fell in love), and I am a fan of the new Goldwing DCT automatic. With that said, I feel like if I owned any other bikes, I would spend most of my time on the FJR. This one is near flawless. Very clean and well kept. And thankfully, the transmission recall and both software updates have been completed.

I was debating on protection. I like that I can mount things to the tubular guards, if needed. I havent decided if I want anything that large or not. I am thinking of installing a Givi V56NTA (56L) top case with SR357 rack. I want to be able to fit 2 modular helmets (a XXL one for my fat head and a small one for my wife). I wasnt sure if this is too big in some fashion? I hate that I have to think about max load capacity, but Im a fairly large guy (265lbs, wife is 125lbs)/ With gear and fullly loaded side and top cases, we will be close or over the max.

The front seat is a Seth Laam and rear is stock. The Laam, atleast this one, is not comfortable for me. I have pain in the the back of inner thigh after 45mins to an hour. I feel like it could be adjusted or contoured a little different. I find myself trying to hold my body further back on the seat. The seat forces me to slide forward from what is comfortable seating position. The hump in the front/middle of the seat stops me from crushing anything important against the tank. I feel like I might be too big for this seat. I did a lot of weight lifting in my 20's and 30's and have kept more bulk than I wanted to as I have aged. Hoping Seth can make adjustments and make a matching rear seat for my wife. The RDL seats are a bit ugly to me, but some of them are larger/wider looking than Laam and may work better. I want to see what Laam can do first. It will be hard to send seats out since I just purchased it, but I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

I have been using my phone as a nav screen. want to upgrade to a dedicated nav unit. Recommendations?

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase. That's a nicely put together package. Good lookin' too.

I was debating on protection. I like that I can mount things to the tubular guards, if needed. I havent decided if I want anything that large or not. I am thinking of installing a Givi V56NTA (56L) top case with SR357 rack. I want to be able to fit 2 modular helmets (a XXL one for my fat head and a small one for my wife). I wasnt sure if this is too big in some fashion? I hate that I have to think about max load capacity, but Im a fairly large guy (265lbs, wife is 125lbs)/ With gear and fullly loaded side and top cases, we will be close or over the max.

Some morning coffee thoughts on what you wrote above. If you're thinking you'd be strapping things to protection guards then I'd guess you'd be fine strapping stuff to that luggage rack also so it'd be a shame to get rid of it. The SR357 is nice, especially as it takes the weight off the rear of the subframe but if I read the original ad right you also have the stiffy kit installed which does something similar. (As well? I don't know.) That said I think I've seen Givi top cases mounted to that rack somehow, possibly through some sort of an adapter plate or maybe it was a different model rack Gerauld made. Go to the source and ask him directly to see what's possible.

As far as cases themselves, several years ago I debated the size thing too and ended up buying the V47 as I thought it looked more proportional while on the bike. Still happy with the case and the way it looks but I sorta find that silly now. The only time that case is on the bike is either when I'm travelling or riding to go pick up something which is also when I wish I had bought the larger one. Even if you could see it behind you while riding I'd rather the extra capacity than not.

Oh, and you mentioned being large and max loads two up. I'd have to believe that you're not unique in the weights there (sorry) but also remember to think of the load hanging off the back of the bike separately from, or rather as part of, the whole package. A larger vs smaller top case isn't going to impact the bottom line significantly but if that's a concern just don't stuff it full. (Yeah, good luck with that.) You did say you wanted it mainly for the helmets anyway, right?

Custom seats are just that - custom. One that's not built for someone close to your physical dimensions is worse than the stock seat. I bought my 2011 used and it came with a Russell. Unfortunately, built for someone shorter than me and I ended out selling it and going back to the stock seat. Haven't gotten around to getting something better yet...

The Givi SR357 rack is great although you will have to swap out the Garauld rack when you want to use it. Takes maybe 15 minutes once you have done it a couple times. I have the Givi V46 topcase (color-matched) and I like the size. I don't think the V46 would accommodate your helmets but the V56 you mentioned might be OK. (Definitely try before you buy.) I don't care much for the appearance of the larger Givi's. My helmet fits in my side case so that it where it usually ends out - always junk in the top case anyway.

I agree with Madmudder on the Zumo XT. Pretty good deal right now.

Custom seats are just that - custom. One that's not built for someone close to your physical dimensions is worse than the stock seat. I bought my 2011 used and it came with a Russell. Unfortunately, built for someone shorter than me and I ended out selling it and going back to the stock seat. Haven't gotten around to getting something better yet...

The Givi SR357 rack is great although you will have to swap out the Garauld rack when you want to use it. Takes maybe 15 minutes once you have done it a couple times. I have the Givi V46 topcase (color-matched) and I like the size. I don't think the V46 would accommodate your helmets but the V56 you mentioned might be OK. (Definitely try before you buy.) I don't care much for the appearance of the larger Givi's. My helmet fits in my side case so that it where it usually ends out - always junk in the top case anyway.

I agree with Madmudder on the Zumo XT. Pretty good deal right now.
Yeah, I texted Mr Laam about making adjustments for me and customizing the strock rear seat for my wife. Too bad they don't make an ass-mold kit to I can just send that in to Seth. 😂

I agree with you on the looks of the larger Givi's. The larger Shad SH58X looks way better, but I don't believe the aluminum mounting plate I would use fits without some modifications to the SR357 (which I don't want to do). Does anyone know if Shad offer an SR357 equivalent for the FJR? My FJ bike has the Stiffy installed, which is probably good enough, but I was thinking the engine guards I may purchase would go well with the SR357 as well as the SR357 is heavier duty..

I plan on wearing modular helmets when we travel with luggage in all 3 cases, and once arriving at destination, remove luggage, and store helmets in the top case. Otherwise I would go with a smaller one.

Congrats on the purchase. That's a nicely put together package. Good lookin' too.

Some morning coffee thoughts on what you wrote above. If you're thinking you'd be strapping things to protection guards then I'd guess you'd be fine strapping stuff to that luggage rack also so it'd be a shame to get rid of it. The SR357 is nice, especially as it takes the weight off the rear of the subframe but if I read the original ad right you also have the stiffy kit installed which does something similar. (As well? I don't know.) That said I think I've seen Givi top cases mounted to that rack somehow, possibly through some sort of an adapter plate or maybe it was a different model rack Gerauld made. Go to the source and ask him directly to see what's possible.

As far as cases themselves, several years ago I debated the size thing too and ended up buying the V47 as I thought it looked more proportional while on the bike. Still happy with the case and the way it looks but I sorta find that silly now. The only time that case is on the bike is either when I'm travelling or riding to go pick up something which is also when I wish I had bought the larger one. Even if you could see it behind you while riding I'd rather the extra capacity than not.

Oh, and you mentioned being large and max loads two up. I'd have to believe that you're not unique in the weights there (sorry) but also remember to think of the load hanging off the back of the bike separately from, or rather as part of, the whole package. A larger vs smaller top case isn't going to impact the bottom line significantly but if that's a concern just don't stuff it full. (Yeah, good luck with that.) You did say you wanted it mainly for the helmets anyway, right?

I love the rack, and wouldn't be getting rid of it, but just when we are traveling, I swap out for top case. Its a 15 min ordeal every time, but I don't mine. For 60% of my riding, the rack will work fine. Helmets will just be stored in top case once we reach our destination. Yes, this has the Stiffy. the SR357 is heavier duty, but I don't think required for what I am using it for. I'm glad I am not the only one with a large rear! Makes me feel better. haha.

Recommend the T-Rex saddlebag and engine guards. I put a set on when I bought mine and love them. Dropped the bike before I could get the engine guards on (issue with the bike not the guards) and the saddlebag guards did the trick. No damage whatsoever to the saddlebags or top case. I just got finished putting on brake and clutch reservoir covers that hold Ram Mounts. I have my Quad Lock set up on the clutch and my Garmin Zumo XT on the brake. Looks good and sits high enough for me to see the screens easily.

Recommend the T-Rex saddlebag and engine guards. I put a set on when I bought mine and love them. Dropped the bike before I could get the engine guards on (issue with the bike not the guards) and the saddlebag guards did the trick. No damage whatsoever to the saddlebags or top case. I just got finished putting on brake and clutch reservoir covers that hold Ram Mounts. I have my Quad Lock set up on the clutch and my Garmin Zumo XT on the brake. Looks good and sits high enough for me to see the screens easily.
I placed an order on the T-Rex guards, based on yours and other's recommendations. Also, ordered Shad SH58X top case and Shad's bracket. I had hoped to find a used Yamaha top case for aesthetic reasons only, but no luck there.

I am planning to install rhe Garmin between the handlebars using the hole in the middle of the helibar bracket. May bot be the ideal height, but I will try this first. I'm going to use the hole on the clutch bracket for radar detector.

Do you have photos of your setup? How do you like the Quad Lock?

"I am planning to install rhe Garmin between the handlebars using the hole in the middle of the helibar bracket. May bot be the ideal height, but I will try this first."
Ram arms come in different lengths and you can find a sweet spot using the Helibar center hole.

I placed an order on the T-Rex guards, based on yours and other's recommendations. Also, ordered Shad SH58X top case and Shad's bracket. I had hoped to find a used Yamaha top case for aesthetic reasons only, but no luck there.

I am planning to install rhe Garmin between the handlebars using the hole in the middle of the helibar bracket. May bot be the ideal height, but I will try this first. I'm going to use the hole on the clutch bracket for radar detector.

Do you have photos of your setup? How do you like the Quad Lock?
Here is my setup. I absolutely love the Quad Lock. I have a mount in my car, truck, on my desk, and as you can see the motorcycle. This mount contains the weatherproof wireless charging head, vibration damper, 1" ball adapter, ram mounts, QualMount reservoir covers YMH-RM-BR1 (Brake) and YMH-RM-CL1 (Clutch) (these use a RAM ball thread of 3/8-16 and bought them on eBay along with the ram mounts). This mount holds your phone on like a glove. I put a cigarette lighter adapter and ran the power to the mount from the glove box through the gasket at the bottom. Routing was pretty easy.
I connected the Garmin mount directly to the battery and mad a harness that allowed me to place a fuzeblok at the rear of the bike. I left my ram mount on the steering head bolt for now but plan to put it back to stock when I change the bearings. The picture showing my mirror is where I put on mirror extenders from RevZilla.

Links to websites:

https://performance-accessories.com/https://www.quadlockcase.com/https://twowheelobsession.com/2021/...CR_sf-f5WSD4sTs-ICw_BGyrvheaFI1_klrJajwhGVLFIhttps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JX444KV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.ebay.com/itm/304105630489

Attachments

• 20211124_164118.jpg
    20211124_164118.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211124_164122.jpg
    20211124_164122.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211124_164125.jpg
    20211124_164125.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211124_164157.jpg
    20211124_164157.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Here's what the T-Rex setup looks like on my bike as well as my Givi. I added the Stator Cover and Front Wheel guards.

Attachments

• 20211124_164205.jpg
    20211124_164205.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211124_164209.jpg
    20211124_164209.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211124_164215.jpg
    20211124_164215.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211124_164232.jpg
    20211124_164232.jpg