Pure One Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local yammie has the fjr filters only a buck or two more than the pure one filters at auto stores so never a conflict for me.
Eagle,

Conflict..... Those stock OEM oil filters have a very small amount of very cheap paper element for oil filtering... They work horrible compared to the purolators and other quality oil filters.. They are more expensive too boot! What a hoot! Save your engine the pain, suffering and treat it to a quality oil filter.

I paint my Purolators black with a can of spray paint(I use grill Hi temp paint..but I suspect it really isn't needed). Takes about 2 minutes to do and 10 minutes to dry.

WW
+1 I bought 6 on Amazon - they had some deal with free shipping. The cost worked out to abt $4.50 each, no tax, no shipping. I sprayed them black with regular Krylon flat black - only because I couldn't stand the Blue!

In case you wanted to see the Interior Makings of the OEM filter, here are some pics:

It is not paper perse, but a type of composite material...built much better than I expected. This is what it looked like with it cut down the middle length wise.

1FjrFilterCutOpen1.jpg

1FjrFilterOpen1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm reading here that the Purolator Pure One P/N is PL 14610...on the Bin-o-Facts it says 14612...which one is it ???

Your choice..both are correct per the Bin O Facts:

Other recommended 2.5" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14612 (about $6, actually a car filter)

Other recommended 3.25" Length Car Oil Cartridges/Filters:

Purolator Pure One PL14610

You guys are making way too big a deal about oil and oil filters. Better to focus your attention on choosing the right tires. Those are the big ticket items. You can run one filter for 8K miles without harming anything. Even if you pay $15 for the Yamaha filter that's less than 0.2 cents a mile. For the guys who replace their tires every 6K miles, that's 5 cents a mile.

I stopped 3 places today hoping they would have some old stock of Blue PL 14610,,,,,,,, only thing I could find was theCat-Shit Yellow.... :angry2:

I thought the pretty blue was a nice contrast to my Black 08.....
i hit both local pep boys and scored 6 of the old stock blue filters @ $5.50 each.

they did a price match + 5% discount, because another parts store carried them .12 cents cheaper!

let your fingers do the walking then ride and get'em.

cadman
Thanks Cadman :yahoo: ,,,,,,, I scored 4 blue PL14610 at pep boys yesterday,,,,, I think they were $5.29 ea.

Probably not that big of deal,,, just couldn't see putting a cat-shit yellow filter on my pretty black bike,,,,

suppose I could have painted them black,,,, might have to do that when I run out of these,,,

You guys are making way too big a deal about oil and oil filters. Better to focus your attention on choosing the right tires. Those are the big ticket items. You can run one filter for 8K miles without harming anything. Even if you pay $15 for the Yamaha filter that's less than 0.2 cents a mile. For the guys who replace their tires every 6K miles, that's 5 cents a mile.
Constant.....

The Pure One is actually the top rated oil filter by the Society of Engineer's. There is nothing special at all with the stock filter. It is not even made by Yamaha, it's made by a company called Denso.

CM,

You are absolutely 100% correct. Tahrs are the 3rd biggest ticket items we face in terms of riding expense, the others being gas at ~10 cents per mile and the initial outlay for the machine. I think the impetus behind all the oil and filter fever is to get the best one(s). The idea being to prolong the internal engine components, trying to protect that initial outlay investment.

Once you get past the 600 mile, 1st filter change the filter becomes a minor issue. Yamaha's schedule shows a filter is good for 8K miles, or two oil changes. On my Honda cars the filter schedule is one every 20K miles, or two oil changes.

A good quality filter will offer the potential for long engine life. The quest to find the best filter and the best oil is a hand wringing exercise offering no long term value.

But to each his own. If one wants to focus mental energy on getting the best possible filter and oil then go for it. I prefer to focus my energies on more profitable endeavors.

Fortunately, I can buy the Yamaha filter at my local dealer for less than $5 using an often available $10 off coupon.

You guys are making way too big a deal about oil and oil filters. A good quality filter will offer the potential for long engine life. The quest to find the best filter and the best oil is a hand wringing exercise offering no long term value.
Precisely, exactly correct.

This is exactly why we have a NEPRT forum..... :D

<snip>....The idea being to prolong the internal engine components, trying to protect that initial outlay investment.
Has anyone ever worn-out an FJR engine? Will ever, conceivably, wear-out one? :unsure:

With any kind of maintenance schedule -- no matter how many miles.... :blink:

<snip>....The idea being to prolong the internal engine components, trying to protect that initial outlay investment.
Has anyone ever worn-out an FJR engine? Will ever, conceivably, wear-out one? :unsure:

With any kind of maintenance schedule -- no matter how many miles.... :blink:
No, no, and no.

Has anyone ever felt better because they routinely change their engine oil & filter (or perform any other maintenance for that matter) entirely too often? ;)

You'll note that I said that was "the idea" behind it, not that I personally subscribe to it...

You guys are making way too big a deal about oil and oil filters. A good quality filter will offer the potential for long engine life. The quest to find the best filter and the best oil is a hand wringing exercise offering no long term value.
Precisely, exactly correct.

This is exactly why we have a NEPRT forum..... :D

My buddy talked to a guy the other day that had 103,000 miles on his FJR ,,, per him ,, zero maintenance ,,, no valve adjustments ,,etc... I did ask,, the next time he talked to him to

ask what kind of oil he used ,,, ,,, Probably what ever was on sale...

And yes I figure any good Quality oil and filter should keep the FJR running for more miles than I have left in me...

My original comment was they changed the color of the filter,,, the cat-shit yellow is probably just as good of a filter as the pretty blue filter..

But if we didn't post Stuff like this on the web pages ,,,,,,, what would we piss and moan about ????????????

And It did get ALOT of conversations going..... So,,, feel free to piss and moan ,,,,

NOW, when they change the color of my favorite tires from Black to cat-shit Yellow ,,, I'll really be pissed,,,,,,

Enjoyed the conversation ,,,,,,, Take Care ,,,later old&slow Dan <<<<<<<<<<

Stopped today to pick up a new Pure One PL14610 for my next oil change,,,
Instead of the nice pretty blue ,, they are now cat-shit Yellow.. :angry2:

Ended up with a black Mobil One ,,,

Yep, its ugly. A can of black spray paint didn't turn it into a pretty filter, but at least it is black and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.