Pushstart A Fjr?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espia4ci

Reaction score
A friend who owns a Vstrom recently killed his battery by inadvertantly leaving on his ignition (which leaves on his headlight). He was alone w/o help nearby so he push/roll started his Vstrom. Immediatly after that he began having a lot of problems with his charging system. I believe it was the stator or similiar part. Anyway, a few hundred dollars, and some new parts later, they got the problem fixed.

I remember push-starting previous bikes because of dead batteries, but I have never did that with my FJR. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual reference not push-starting the FJR.

Anyone know if they recommend against it? My be good information to have in case I am ever in a similar circumstance.

I have noticed that the FJR's headlight is only on when the engine is running, which appears to be a good measure to prevent running down your battery with just ignition switch on and engine not running. I noticed that is not true of the ST1300. If the ignition switch is on, the headlight is also one, regardless of whether the engine is running or not.

I don't think you can Push start an FJR. :angry01: I THINK the fuel system runs when you crank it and stops when it doesn't start. I THINK if you try to bump start it the injectors won't be firing. Anyone successfully try this?

Fuel pump needs 12-14 volts to operate-without it no pressure, so no run. You can't spin the motor over fast enough on a normal push start to get the alternator up to that kinda speed IMHO. IF the battery isn't completely shit, it might be done.

no battery no fuel. no fuel no run. engine will spin easily as far as that part of it goes

:rolleyes: Correction gentelmen. The FJR will bump start with a battery that is to low to crank the engine. Now, if the battery is totaly dead, that could be a differant story. Mine would `click the solinoid, but nothing else. Pushed it down a slight incline (2nd gear) and started right up. :alien:

Rick Martin

Pontiac, IL.

I know other people with fuel injected bikes have push-started their bikes so I don't think the FI is a precluding element.

I have noticed that the FJR's headlight is only on when the engine is running, which appears to be a good measure to prevent running down your battery with just ignition switch on and engine not running.  I noticed that is not true of the ST1300.  If the ignition switch is on, the headlight is also one, regardless of whether the engine is running or not.
The FJR's headlight is not on before the engine is started, but will remain on AFTER the engine is shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also bump-started mine in 2nd gear. The bike wouldn't restart after I shut it down to make a nature call in the Utah outback during Blister :eek:

Apparently I was an early (U.S.) victim of the FJR's wimpy charging system. I had been running PIAA 910's (w/55w+85w bulbs), Dual-Star grip heaters, a Widder vest and arm chaps.

The high beams/PIAAS were on for extended periods, but the engine speed was, um, high enough that the alternator should have been running at peak output.

For the remainder of that 500 mile night-time loop I used my spare ignition key to open the filler cap while the leaving the engine running - didn't want to chance having to push-start it again.

Arriving back in Ely I shut it off to check in with timekeepers Ron Smith and John Cheney. After providing my paperwork I fearfully switched the key back into the on position, hit the starter button and was greatly relieved to hear that monster motor roar back to life.

It's been fine ever since, but then I haven't used the arm chaps again.

Rick did Blister also, and has since pushed his bike - could there be a connection?

As long as the battery has enough juice to pressurize the fuel system it will push start. (Don't ask me how I know this ) If you don't have enough juice for that you are going to be pushing for a long time.

Is one of the "clicks" I hear when I turn the key on the fuel system pressurizing? As in, if I don't hear the click down in the engine bay when I turn the key on, I might as welll forget it? Just wondering how one would know if the fuel system WAS pressurizing. Would be nice to have a tell, before I try to suppress the cardiac arrest brought on by trying to bump start my FJR!

When I turn the key the needles go full scale and I can hear the fuel pump pressureizing the rail. I was told to wait for the pump to go off before hitting the start button. So in awnser to your question yes that is one of the things you hear.

For the record I hope I never have to push start my FJR at least by myself.

Ride Safe

Larry