Rain Suit Buyers FAQ

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
So my old 'rainsuit' which was really a nice pair of snow pants and a water 'resistant' jacket is going to be retired for a good set specific for motorcycles. I ride ~100 miles/week in the rain so I need something durable and 100% waterproof.

I went with the Nelson-Rigg AR-3 and got a size just a tad bigger than needed to give me a little room for clothing layers underneath. I have a 42-44 chest and the jacket is for a 44-46. The pants are for a 33" inseam and I have a 32-32.5" one.

My issue is with the pants. When I sit on the bike they sometimes leave ~1/2" exposed between my boot and my suit, so rain would run down into the boot. They feel somewhat tight at the knee as well. I can put my thick layering on undernether and get the same result. I hate to return it because the jacket fits perfectly and I am afraid that a 48-50 size jacket would be too big.

For those of you with motorcycle rain suits how much bigger did you buy? The next size up for me would be for a 48-50" chest (I am 42-44) and the pants would be a 34" inseam (I am ~32.5"). That gives me plenty of room for layering in the cold but in the summer I dont want my jacket acting as a parachute.

I have also thought about just using a cheap pair of gaiters to slip on as a collar between my boot and the bottom of the pants.

Any suggestions from those of you out there?

So I decided that since I was looking for a good pair of gaiters for winter hiking I would just use those to bridge the gap. Outdoor Research makes a great croc gaiter thats 17" tall so I should be good to go.

When I got my suit, I got one that I thought was way too large when standing in the store. I'm pretty much an L for everything, so I got an XL ( or maybe it was even XXL... not sure).

The reason is that it can be super tough to get a suit on over your riding gear when you're hopping around on one leg on the side of the highway. It's especially tough if your riding gear is already slightly wet from those first drizzles that prompted you to stop in the first place. If you go big, it's easier to get on, as well as off again when the sun returns.

Whew! That roadliner looks nice but $700! My wife would kill me...I was lucky to slip the heli risers and carbtune by her. I'd be living outside in that thing if I bought it.

I did buy extra large...one thing I am noticing while shopping around is that some companies make a XL and XL-Tall. I even looked at an XXL with a 34" inseam and it was still a little too short....only the waist was bigger. I believe the gaiters will solve my problems since I wont have to use the stirrups in the rainsuit and can let it relax a little more.

My jacket fits good over a shirt, sweater and leather jacket, so if I need anything more than that under me I probably wont be commuting to work anyway because it would be snowiing.

Whew! That roadliner looks nice but $700! My wife would kill me...I was lucky to slip the heli risers and carbtune by her. I'd be living outside in that thing if I bought it.
I did buy extra large...one thing I am noticing while shopping around is that some companies make a XL and XL-Tall. I even looked at an XXL with a 34" inseam and it was still a little too short....only the waist was bigger. I believe the gaiters will solve my problems since I wont have to use the stirrups in the rainsuit and can let it relax a little more.

My jacket fits good over a shirt, sweater and leather jacket, so if I need anything more than that under me I probably wont be commuting to work anyway because it would be snowiing.
Maybe you could make a taller, better protecting boot work with your existing gear.

Problem solved, for under $90.00, O'neal Waterproof Element MX Boots!

Several colors available, but when your pants cover most of the top of them who will care?

Just need to compare your current boot height with these and consider the extra shin protection.

05-el-boot-blk.jpg

Roger

Last edited by a moderator: