RAM ball on dash?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
Who has mounted a RAM ball above the instrument cluster?

I would like to mount my GPS higher, above the gauges and below the windshield. I don't know if that plastic is strong enough to hold a RAM ball with a GPS hanging off it?

Ideas or pictures would be appreciated.

My ride is a 2007 (Gen 2). I already have a RAM ball on the right-side brake reservoir and another on the tree between the handlebars.

I've only seen it with those that have had an aftermarket dash installed on Gen 2 and earlier (they stopped making them some years ago) and even then never with a RAM ball....just to the surface with a Garmin mount.

Adding two RAM balls, an arm, mounted to a plastic mass held on by a few small fasteners, that's mounted to a subframe that's made of pot metal.....not a good idea in my opinion. Gen 2 and later dash areas sometimes don't survive tipovers let alone a big heavy thing with a big moment arm.

I agree with Iggy and would not mount a ram ball to a plastic part. You can mount two Ram balls to the handlebars, one on each side. My '05 had a hole on the clutch side that was tapped and Ram makes a ball that fit it. I had to drill and tap a hole in the brake side to match the other one.

I also use a dash shelf that I bought from someone, but I don't know if they still make them. I have my GPS and a couple other things on the shelf and it is much better having the GPS up high above the instrument cluster. If I were to do it over I would fabricate a bracket to hold a pipe horizontally above the instrument cluster so I could mount five or six Ram balls in a more open arrangement rather than using a solid shelf.

I have 2 of these (one on each side) https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-309-2U They look a little overkill
rolleyes.gif
But I have never run out of mounting options. You could use a variety of parts from RAM and create a horizontal mounting area like what Geezer suggested. The only thing you have to be aware of is that you could have interference issues with the windshield and/or tank bag.

-Worney

I use a dash from secathey. Puts the gps right where it needs to be on a bike with mv or helibridge installed.

Sounds like I'll have to stick with what I've got.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the bar clamp ram mounts, you can use a pretty hefty arm to mount things up high. I've done it with a camera.

That link by Mihalis is pretty slick. Another option is the RamBone mount that fits on the fuel tank bolts and holds the GPS just below the instrument cluster.

Sounds like I'll have to stick with what I've got.
I wouldn't presume that. I suggest not limiting your options to just shelves with RAM balls. There are still many, many ways to get there that have been discussed on the forum. It may be a bit of work, but more searching on the forum and Googling always helps.

I've even seen an IBR guy do custom CNC brackets forming a giant halo full of gadgets on a BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I designed one but haven't made it yet. Made the paper doll prototypes and cnc programs. I just need to cut the aluminum pieces.

Someday,

Dave

I have two RAM mounts already. It just seems that without a dash shelf, there's no good way to get the GPS up high where I want it.

I considered mounting it to the back of the windshield, but then it would move around and I want it to be permanent.

I have two RAM mounts already. It just seems that without a dash shelf, there's no good way to get the GPS up high where I want it.I considered mounting it to the back of the windshield, but then it would move around and I want it to be permanent.
I've toyed with the idea of center-mounting, but will probably stick with my high mount on the left. Viewing would be better in the center, but it's easier to reach on the left. I worked at using voice to eliminate button-pushing, but found that I have to poke the thing enough that reachability is important. https://s11.postimg.org/9jxur8utf/phone_mount_3.jpg