rear brake pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryfarnham

Reaction score
uhoh.gif
Here it is a 2005 fjr I replaced rear disc with EBC put new pads on. cleaned and checked brake pedal. popped the rear piston out cleaned it finely sanded it. new brake fluid dot 3 But still I'm on my 3rd set of pads with only 6000 kms on it? The fronts are still the originals and good 84000 kms on the clock. What gives any suggestions out there?

Check to see that your rear brake pedal isn't sticking at the pivot (if Gen 1 is similar to Gen II). Wouldn't hurt to disassemble and grease it anyway............

rear brake pedal cleaned and greased moving freely. checked on center stand by pushing pedal and spinning rear wheel

Any chance you are resting your boot on the lever?

When on the center stand, in neutral, you should be able to spin the back wheel with very little brake drag. If it is dragging too much then either the caliper is sticking or, maybe, there is something blocking the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

When you push the rear piston in does it move smoothly? Sometimes I can clear up a sticky piston by simply pushing it in and pumping the brakes to restore it to it's normal position, and repeat a few times.

Any chance you are resting your boot on the lever?
When on the center stand, in neutral, you should be able to spin the back wheel with very little brake drag. If it is dragging too much then either the caliper is sticking or, maybe, there is something blocking the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

When you push the rear piston in does it move smoothly? Sometimes I can clear up a sticky piston by simply pushing it in and pumping the brakes to restore it to it's normal position, and repeat a few times.
I'm begining to think there is something blocking the line and letting the fluid return to the master cylinder. What would work? a complete flush?

Maybe you're just using your rear too much?......I rarely use mine, maybe you're making it do most of the stopping when it should be the dual disc fronts that do that

Dunno about the Gen 1s but the Gen 2s have a little spacer next to the rear brake caliper. If that spacer is on the wrong side....

You mention that you cleaned the rear caliper and "finely sanded" it. What grit and what kind of sand paper did you use?

I would start out with the test Geezer mentioned above (rotate the wheel by hand on the center stand) , but I might also just remove the caliper and watch what happens to the piston as you operate the brake pedal. As you lightly depress the pedal it should, naturally, move inwards, but when you release the pedal it should actually retract a very small amount. This is the action of the rubber seals gripping the smooth surface of the piston. It may be that by sanding that surface it no longer retracts by the force of the seals.

After the test you can push the piston back in by hand or with a C-clamp and you should be able to push it back in pretty easily. That will tell you if there is an obstruction between the master and slave cylinders.

You did not mention of this bike has ABS. The ABS blocks have been known to jam up and cause funny hydraulic symptoms like that

I just replaced the rear brake pads on my '07 after 100,000 miles - thought it was about time. Could have gotten another 25,000 out of them! I never felt the need to sand the pistons. I cleaned them once about 50,000 miles ago and again when I installed the new pads. Removed the pads and carefully extended the pistons. Wiped them down with a bit of brake cleaner on a rag and MADE SURE they were solvent-free before pushing the pistons back into the caliper. Good idea to clean pistons before pushing the dirt and grit back through the seals. Absolutely no pitting, scratches or corrosion and no deposits that were difficult to remove.

I seem to go through front pads about twice as fast as rear.

I just replaced the rear brake pads on my '07 after 100,000 miles - thought it was about time. Could have gotten another 25,000 out of them! I never felt the need to sand the pistons. I cleaned them once about 50,000 miles ago and again when I installed the new pads. Removed the pads and carefully extended the pistons. Wiped them down with a bit of brake cleaner on a rag and MADE SURE they were solvent-free before pushing the pistons back into the caliper. Good idea to clean pistons before pushing the dirt and grit back through the seals. Absolutely no pitting, scratches or corrosion and no deposits that were difficult to remove.
I seem to go through front pads about twice as fast as rear.
As you should.
wink.png