Rear Seat Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsdpoet

Reaction score
Hey guys....just purchased my first FJR, an 07, and I have a bunch of stupid questions....

first one....how does the rear seat come off?

second...windshield a bit too short for me so I sent for a vstream, which I'm familiar with from some of my other bikes...How difficult is it to change out the shields?

third...the lighting on the dash seems a bit dull at night.  Is that the way it is or is there a way to brighten them?

That's my limit of dumb questions for now but I'm sure I'll have more in near future.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have an owner's manual?  That gives the procedure for removing the seats.  You can get one on-line (pdf) from Yamaha if you don't have one. 

Windshield is easy to replace.  You need an appropriate Allen key to remove the two hidden screws that hold the trim piece in place.  After that, there are a bunch of plastic screws holding the shield.  Don't overtighten or you will break them.  Might break some anyway.

Nothing you can do to adjust the dash brightness.  I never found it to be an issue.

The windshield is pretty straight-forward.  I've never had a Gen II but I believe once you remove the outer painted coverings the screws will reveal themselves.  Fairly certain they are plastic and are seated into rubber well-nuts.  As they're designed to break and sometimes strip out the head it's not uncommon to find other owners who'll carry some spare windshield screws with them.  Until you have some spares on hand I'd say just go slowly and use a JIS screwdriver if you have.

With the seat, again guessing on the Gen II but after removing the front look at the base of the rear along the crossbar and you should find a lever that slides side to side.  You might have to stick your finger under a slot or something.  If you have the Owner's Manual it'll definitely show you how, probably with pictures and everything.  Same also for how to get to the windshield screws I'd suppose.

And as far as the dash lights, I've got nothing for you there other than some have changed them out to LEDs.  Pretty sure that's a lot of work for maybe not much benefit although if you have one or two burned out it might be worth the effort.  Do a search on that along with anything else that comes up as this Forum has a wealth of info documented throughout.

Edit: Bruced by Ross!  

Welcome Isdpoet,

You will find lots of good stuff here!

lock cylinder left side below seat on side of bike

love my CalSci large but flavors differ. I'm 6'2" and they have a table how to choose size on their web site. i can hear myself whisper at 55mph

dim red so keeps your night vision to see forest rats. You know how fast you're going, FAST!

keep the rubber side down

Your ignition key also unlocks the latch for the seats. The seat lock is on the left side below the seats.

Switching windscreens is about a 10 minute job. Be sure to first remove the two set screws under the trim piece at the bottom of the windscreen assembly. There is a group of nylon screws under the trim piece that secures the windscreen. Be careful not to snap these.

Your instrument panel is as bright as it's going to get. Maybe squint some more.

The windshield is pretty straight-forward.  I've never had a Gen II but I believe once you remove the outer painted coverings the screws will reveal themselves.  Fairly certain they are plastic and are seated into rubber well-nuts.  As they're designed to break and sometimes strip out the head it's not uncommon to find other owners who'll carry some spare windshield screws with them.  Until you have some spares on hand I'd say just go slowly and use a JIS screwdriver if you have.

With the seat, again guessing on the Gen II but after removing the front look at the base of the rear along the crossbar and you should find a lever that slides side to side.  You might have to stick your finger under a slot or something.  If you have the Owner's Manual it'll definitely show you how, probably with pictures and everything.  Same also for how to get to the windshield screws I'd suppose.

And as far as the dash lights, I've got nothing for you there other than some have changed them out to LEDs.  Pretty sure that's a lot of work for maybe not much benefit although if you have one or two burned out it might be worth the effort.  Do a search on that along with anything else that comes up as this Forum has a wealth of info documented throughout.

Edit: Bruced by Ross!  
Gen II already has LED dash lights - unlike Gen I.  As far as I know, they are not replaceable and there is not much (if any) history of them burning out.

Seat - the key pops up the back seat and the lever releases the front.  See manual.

Depending on how tightly the back seat fits, you might push down on the front/center of the back seat as you turn the latch / key. Makes it easier to turn if the latch is stubborn.

Enjoy the new [to you] '07!

~G

I'm a newbie to FJRs and here on the forum too, so welcome!  I was just scrutinizing the service manual and might have found a solution to your dash panel light problem. (Although I might be wrong on if this applies to your year FJR)...

On page 1-25 it states, "Adjusting Meter Panel Brightness":

1. Use the select switch to highlight "Brightness"

2. Push the "menu" switch

3. Use the select switch to select the desired brightness level, the push the "menu" switch to return to the settings main menu.

Hopefully, this helps.  Cheers!

I'm a newbie to FJRs and here on the forum too, so welcome!  I was just scrutinizing the service manual and might have found a solution to your dash panel light problem. (Although I might be wrong on if this applies to your year FJR)…

Not for 2007 (Gen II) bikes.  No adjustment available for dash lighting.