Rear sub-frame cracks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cruising through old posts I found this and can say "ditto". I just discovered the same cracks on my 2008 with 16K miles. I guess I need to find an aluminum welder in town!

The bike had not been in any crash or lay-down - only abuse could have been overloading the top box, but this clearly looks like a design flaw.

Another thought on this topic.....even if the top box weight limit of 13lbs is observed, how can Yamaha justify this when anyone with a passenger leaning against the top box, would easily generate a torque exceeding the 13lb limit. It makes no sense to me - its a design flaw and Yamaha should recall and replace with stronger frames.

My 2cents

i'm following this with great interest...

i stress over this. HA get it!?!?!?

i have a supremely beautiful Garauld rack and, to me, it's the perfect combination as the bike looks great without a bag on the rack... and looks great and works great with a bag on the rack.

i don't ride with a bag on the back 90% of the time but once a year i get to do some long road stuff and i like my north face or motofizz strapped on. never cared too much for the Givi or the factory trunk, but i know they work well for those that use them.

I look at the Givi mounts with struts/supports and they look tough... and i'd really like for my rig to be that tough... but i hate the way they look without the box on them. FUGLY

two things i wonder:

1: perhaps our resident Jedi Tig Welder Garauld would design a similar rig that mounted with forward supports somehow similar to the Givi system...

or

2: though it looks like a PITA, i for one, wanting my rig to last forever and not crack, would actually consider pulling the subframe, sending it to the same Jedi Tig Welder to work some magic and tig it up so that it is strong... and can support his awesome rack without worry...

I realize there are limits to what can be carried, even with great engineering. but the weight limits being discussed here for the factory trunk or the plates mounted to the rear without supports, are just not practical if you plan to go long, particularly if you plan to go long and two up. and as has already been pointed out, simply putting a pillion on there who pushes back to stretch their back or legs will far exceed these limits...

thoughts????