Recall. ...But it's your fault.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet still their Final Drives are peeing oil all over the rear wheel, and no one except the riders appears to believe this is a safety issue.

Another one happened yesterday during the IBA Jax Event.

'We made a weak part, you guys out there are over-tightening the unit, but we're such good guys that we're going to fix it'; what a crock. IMO

Twigg... you and the OP are not on the same page!

You guys must be able to read invisible ink or something?. The way I see that article is pretty straight forward, bolt was being overtightened to spec, Mfgr recognized it and did a recall. I say cudos!, bow to your mistake, correct it and move on!

We don't even want to start bringing up all the big-time Yamaha flaws that this Mfgr has never come forward with and admitted. The very poor frnt subframe design comes up as a recent one. Personally I can't fathom a bike falling over on the mirror and causing major interior frame damage. Like I said, we won't start cuz I have a list a mile long. :)

The article states that the campaign encompasses replacement of the aluminum wheel flange with a more robust steel unit for R and K models produced between November 2003 and April 2011.

This infers that the 2012 and newer R and K models have the "more robust" steel units..is this so? Is the problem now solved?

The article states that the campaign encompasses replacement of the aluminum wheel flange with a more robust steel unit for R and K models produced between November 2003 and April 2011. This infers that the 2012 and newer R and K models have the "more robust" steel units..is this so? Is the problem now solved?
Not sure, I know I have not rec'd any recalls so far for any matter, but mine is a 2014.5

...We don't even want to start bringing up all the big-time Yamaha flaws that this Mfgr has never come forward with and admitted. The very poor frnt subframe design comes up as a recent one. Personally I can't fathom a bike falling over on the mirror and causing major interior frame damage. Like I said, we won't start cuz I have a list a mile long.
smile.png
Oh,snap!

('Speed, unless I'm mistaken, it was a BMW that got my Brother Beemerdons all busted up. ...Goldwings are the only perfect bikes.)

grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
...We don't even want to start bringing up all the big-time Yamaha flaws that this Mfgr has never come forward with and admitted. The very poor frnt subframe design comes up as a recent one. Personally I can't fathom a bike falling over on the mirror and causing major interior frame damage. Like I said, we won't start cuz I have a list a mile long.
smile.png
Oh,snap!

('Speed, unless I'm mistaken, it was a BMW that got my Brother Beemerdons all busted up. ...Goldwings are the only perfect bikes.)

grin.gif
Yuuup! Definitely wasn't Don's fault! I will start a recall request in the name of "Pappa Chuey Ballerina Bean-Dip Extraordinaire!"

Wingers? I've been found to fancy the tug boat before ;) It would be my beverage of choice to get me to the twisties, but once there, I would need to hitch a ride. So... nope. Maybe when I grow older and more mature :)

DSC00924_zps58d56b6a.jpg

Grow older and mature, like me? Bawahaha
Doug, I could never measure up!!! (and, I'm being totally serious!)

You're a Winger, so how do I lookie on that grande machine?
smile.png

Is it Snarly Saturday? we'll see!......

KJ, you are to kind but I must say the Wing looks smaller with you on it ;)

I think your avatar says volumes about your riding style with the Beemer. Skunk poking on each others bike is half the fun around here.

KJ, you are to kind but I must say the Wing looks smaller with you on it
wink.png

I think your avatar says volumes about your riding style with the Beemer. Skunk poking on each others bike is half the fun around here.
hehe, I can't have that avatar on K16forum, too many stuff-shirts razzed the ship outta me w all the "how could you do that to your K16?". Bunch of dry land puzzies! So, I have a much more conservative avatar (over there)...

K16_forum_avatar_overview_zpsyxz6efiy.png

Trust me, I know all about the bike poking, learned that my 1st day when Gen1 guys called my (I thought to be the same bike?) FJR a BIG POS! I was confused for about 2mins, then, I soon learned, and, this theme still holds water throughout this website today. So it's a "What year, color, tires etc that I have is the best and fastest, yours is a POS!. Heck, I never knew one color was faster than the other until I landed here, maybe about 4 or 5 yrs ago
smile.png

What I've learned!

Twigg... you and the OP are not on the same page!
I checked, it's definitely the same page. Indeed, it is post 1 and 2 :D

BMW are to be applauded for rectifying the current issue. I have never been among those who criticize the bikes for technical flaws. These bikes are not the bikes I grew up with, where engines could be rebuilt at the side of the highway with nothing more than a multi-tool, had those items existed back then.

The point i was making, and it is directly related to this current matter, is about the safety aspects of that part breaking. They are clear and obvious ... you do not want the rear wheel falling off.

Yet that is exactly the same safety issue posed by the FD and UJ failures (almost unheard of on any other bike). The difference seems to be that one would be easier to prove than the other.

So good for BMW in issuing the recall. Nothing there that would do any more than make me feel good about buying BMW. The other matter, however, remains a pretty nasty stain on their attitude.

Even those who drink the kool-aid have to see the humor in the wording of the recall. To paraphrase, it says that although the design is correct and the problem is caused by improper maintenance, they have an improved part and will replace it for free. Considering the attitude that they don't admit a problem, they are being very generous in doing this as a recall.
coolsmiley02.gif

These bikes are not the bikes I grew up with, using Whitworth tool standards, where engines could be rebuilt at the side of the highway with nothing more than a multi-tool, pliers, vise grips and adjustable crescent wrenches, had all those items existed back then.
Fixed it for you. :p ;)
BTDT! (For brevity, I left out the ritual involving prayer that the Prince of Darkness electrics would allow one to fire up the thus rebuilt steed after getting it back together with custom rounded bolt heads and suspect torque values.) Yer welcome! :lol:

and of course, those who ride BMW's that do not get at least 15 feet away from their bike when farting are seriously compromising the reliability of the bike.