Redfish Climbs Colorado!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXCELLENT ride report and pictures Redfish!!
smile.png

As for your Dad,i believe the damage of his car added to him some fatigue and the problem wasn't really his age or the many miles..

Also agree with the 007,many miles in a few days..

I believe in the next trip with your Dad everything will be much much better..!

The damage of his car,many miles in a few days,the very hot weather some times,the altitude,and a little his age,caused this behavior..

Don't worry for anything!It was a great trip and you saw wonderful landscapes!Only that to keep in your mind and forget all the other..!
smile.png

Thank you for sharing with us this excellent ride report!!
smile.png

We looking forward for your next trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a suggestion: Next year, you and your dad should go alone. Your riding styles are close and your bikes are reliable. That alone would have reduced the stress. Th end follow 007's advice and back it down a hair.
Nice report!!

Yes. And head north instead of crossing Texas in the summer heat. I was there in late April, early May and it was too hot for me.

Next year, your Pops n' You n' Me will ride.

I'll lead. It will take the heat off you and your Pops will really enjoy the Candy Butt Association mentality!

angel.gif

I think RF seems to have the planning down...there is just so many days in a vacation...and sometimes you have to bite the bullet in the flatlands to have sufficient days in your destination riding area. He has conflicting desires...riding with family while riding at a pace that everyone can live with...versus how he wants to ride.

If there are two or more riders on a trip, there are gonna be ATLEAST that many ideas on how things should be done. Group trips are difficult for extended periods of time...the longer the trip...the harder it is.

Kudos to you RF for giving it a try repeatedly and denying yourself for the sake of others.

You are a better man than me.

I don't know what to think.
So... This might really be, The End.
I've said the same thing myself after a particularly miserable trip, but then time passes, the bad parts fade away, I remember the good parts, and the itch hits again...

What you learned on this trip will make your planning for the next one that much better. Great RR and great pictures; I'm glad you all made it there and back safely.

Nice report. Traveling in a group is a challenge.

On altitude: For what we think of as "Private Flying" (and we refer to it as "Part 91 operations", the FAA does not require oxygen be used at all until 12,500 ft. - by the pilot - after 30 minutes. An at all times at or above 14,000 ft.

But ...

There are all kinds of recommendations and cautions lurking about the flying world: "above 8000 ft.", above "5,000 ft.", "always at night". So: Once you start driving around Colorado west of , say, Colorado Springs, Golden, Ft. Collins, etc. you will spend very little time below 8,000 ft, all the way to Salt Lake City. Personally, as a veteran of 2300 hours of unpressurized flying, over 1,500 of which have been elevations over 8,000 ft, I find these particular recommendations alarmist - for me. But I have been walking around the summits of Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans, Trail Ridge Rd. observing folks sitting, in distress, on the pavement or leaning against the side of their cars. Listen to your body, as exampled herein.

Leadville, at a mere 10,000 ft., is considered by some utility companies to be a hardship post, as there are folks who can not function living day after day at these altitudes.

My friends, I thank you all. Your advice is appreciated. You concern is appreciated more.

I messed up by trying to pack too much trip into too little time. I knew that going in. Pop was adamant that we go Out West again. I tried to show my Harley cousin most of the wonderful things he missed last year but still keep it fresh for the rest of us.

My GoldWing cousin did not want to burn two weeks of vacation on the motorcycle trip this year. I have the time to burn but my work responsibilities made it difficult for me to leave my plant and my co-workers for two weeks. I have also noticed that the spark seems to fade after too many days on end of riding. They don't really get tired of the bikes, they just get overloaded on the fantastic scenery. I know when it happens because I am the only one still taking pictures.

With regards to Pop... I continue to refine his FJR to make it better for him. This year I added the Heli-Bar Bridge which moved his bars back and up tremendously. I installed a new Cee Bailey +4 +4 reverse countour windshield. He stayed comfortable and happy. He complained for the first time about his seat, we know what needs to happen there. He does not like the way the Huge Cee Bailey Screen looks. He thinks it detracts from the sporty look of his FJR. However it reduces his fatigue levels and that is important. He also decided to soften his suspension settings.

I hate the way the bar risers look. I HATE the way the big windshield looks. I am not in agreement with his suspension settings.

He stayed comfortable though and that is the most important thing.

I have suggested to him to consider a two week trip, just the two of us, at his pace, to the destination of his choosing. I can only hope that he takes me up on it.

I hope he comes around, this annual trip is obviously a big part of my year. It seems ridiculous to all of you, you folks ride some great bikes and can go anywhere at anytime. But, the world where I live is not like that. I don't know anyone in my area that has ridden a motorcycle to the top of Pike's Peak. I don't know anyone in my area that has actually ridden their motorcycle to Colorado. The most common question I get from folks is some form of, "But you did not RIDE your bike out there? You did trailer it right?"

Whatever comes of this, I appreciate you. All of you.

Well I never got to ride with my father so you are a lucky man, even if, at times, it wasn't pleasant along the way. I hope your riding days with your father are not over for that would be a damn shame.

Kudo's to you for suggesting a trip for just the two of you.

Also thanks for sharing a ride report with such personal depth and emotion. Nobody does that as well as you. Hell who else starts the last post of the ride report by talking about the damn waffle maker in a cheap ass motel?
smile.png
Love it!

As someone that knows R/H and his dad, I can say those two have something extraordinarily special. His prose does a good job at attempting to explain it, but believe you/me - it's much more than that. Let's face it - sharing DNA isn't always what BFF building is all about. It's very gratifying to experience that bond with them, especially while we are riding the motorcycles. I look forward to it every time.

Ironically, as my own kids reach adulthood, I find myself kind of in limbo. I want to treat them fully as the independent thinkers that they are, and know that I should. But in my own imagination, I still look at them as 2nd graders and occasionally, this thinking manifest itself. When that happens, they tolerate it, but afterwards, I feel their disappointment. They are finding their place in the world right now, and admittedly, watching this from the front row is challenging for me, not at all for my wife.

For both R/H and I, hopefully this just needs a little time. As my own dad once told me.... "Son, like any good virus. - this too shall pass."

I have suggested to him to consider a two week trip, just the two of us, at his pace, to the destination of his choosing. I can only hope that he takes me up on it.
Perfect! As others have said, time softens the memories and the best ones will rise to the top and stay there.. it sounds like you and your dad are great travel partners but the addition of two other personalities may have tipped the equilibrium of that partnership... not to say you couldn't go with the other two sometime and still have a good time. Do the things you want with the people you enjoy most... life is too short to do it any other way. B)

Thanks for sharing your journey...and not just the fun times...but the whole thing. That's what makes it a real RR.

Most of us take trips...and not every minute of every trip is fun. But we take them because the good outweighs the bad, usually by a large margin...but sometimes not. In that case, it is an adventure...can you handle the adversity...

Best wishes RF on your future trips...

(Edit: I say RF and not RFH, because no way do I mean for him to get confused with Radio Fooking Howie.)

So then, RFH, since you asked me...
angel.gif

Take at least one trip solo. Just you. Find your center, observe (as you do so very well) your thoughts, emotions... the happy factor.

Compare and contrast solo and group experiences.

Be sure to tell us what you discover.
punk.gif

I have thought of a whole bunch of different scenarios for changing things and improving the enjoyment level for next year, or next trip, or next whenever.

Cousin GoldWing has made it clear to me that he loves the way I lay the trip out. He figures that if I am in a hurry and I am pushing, I have a good reason. He knows that I will spend time on the important things and that if I pull over somewhere there is probably something worth seeing there. Where this breaks down is when we just stop to rest a minute and he is exploring the area looking for whatever might be "The Reason" we stopped in that particular place. That is probably because I don't communicate all my secrets to the group. His only real complaint? "I ain't never rding across Texas again. Never."

Cousin Harley feels like we are missing out on all that an area has to offer because we don't stop and read every single Point of Interest sign and every single Historical Marker sign. I cannot disagree with him but...

Pop says we don't have time to stop every 15 minutes and he does not want to. Pop says that the most important historical points of an area should (and are) already known and researched by the Tour Guide (me!) ahead of time. Pop thinks that if we need to know about something to improve our trip I will already have that info and will share it at the proper time. Pop wants to ride and see. Pop does not want to "Waste Time". He wants to See Things. I guess he knows there is a finite limit on the years he will have left to ride all over the country on a Sport Tourer.

As for myself, I fear that most of our issues began and ended with me. I love knowing ahead of time what to look for, I love knowing ahead of time what Needs to be Seen. Perhaps I am a control freak that must have the reigns in his hands the whole time.

Either way, I have ordered some repair and some replacement parts for Pop's FJR. He will make another trip if I have to OD him on Geritol and strap him onto his FJR.

I have thought of a whole bunch of different scenarios for changing things and improving the enjoyment level for next year, or next trip, or next whenever.
Cousin GoldWing has made it clear to me that he loves the way I lay the trip out. He figures that if I am in a hurry and I am pushing, I have a good reason. He knows that I will spend time on the important things and that if I pull over somewhere there is probably something worth seeing there. Where this breaks down is when we just stop to rest a minute and he is exploring the area looking for whatever might be "The Reason" we stopped in that particular place. That is probably because I don't communicate all my secrets to the group. His only real complaint? "I ain't never rding across Texas again. Never."

Cousin Harley feels like we are missing out on all that an area has to offer because we don't stop and read every single Point of Interest sign and every single Historical Marker sign. I cannot disagree with him but...

Pop says we don't have time to stop every 15 minutes and he does not want to. Pop says that the most important historical points of an area should (and are) already known and researched by the Tour Guide (me!) ahead of time. Pop thinks that if we need to know about something to improve our trip I will already have that info and will share it at the proper time. Pop wants to ride and see. Pop does not want to "Waste Time". He wants to See Things. I guess he knows there is a finite limit on the years he will have left to ride all over the country on a Sport Tourer.

As for myself, I fear that most of our issues began and ended with me. I love knowing ahead of time what to look for, I love knowing ahead of time what Needs to be Seen. Perhaps I am a control freak that must have the reigns in his hands the whole time.

Either way, I have ordered some repair and some replacement parts for Pop's FJR. He will make another trip if I have to OD him on Geritol and strap him onto his FJR.

Pop sounds a lot like me. I like to keep moving and look around as I go. I carry a camera or two, but I very rarely actually stop and take a picture. There have been times that I regretted having blown past some place of interest, but not often, and sometimes I'm back in that area on another trip and still don't stop.
unknw.gif

And I don't see how you can believe that the problems began and ended with you. There were four people riding and each has responsibility for the issues. You rightly concerned yourself with the senior member of the ride and you can not be responsible for the other adults.

I have one suggestion. Since you and your Pop had a communication system and used it to your advantage, I suggest that if you ride with your cousins again they get a compatible unit so you can all communicate. But keep them on separate channels so that Pop can't hear the other riders comments as you ride.

So then, RFH, since you asked me...
angel.gif

Take at least one trip solo. Just you. Find your center, observe (as you do so very well) your thoughts, emotions... the happy factor.

Compare and contrast solo and group experiences.

Be sure to tell us what you discover.
punk.gif
Carver, the idea is a great one and I sometimes consider just taking off for my own enjoyment. However, I usually restrict that to rides of just a few hours or so.

I love riding by myself, no one fusses about my corner speed, my acceleration rate, or my route. However, I miss Pop and I feel guilty. For whatever reason I want to drag the Old Man to as many of the great sights and locations of this country as I can before... Well before I no longer have that opportunity. I get so much enjoyment out of showing him places like Pike's Peak, The Grand Canyon, Hwy 141, the list of places I want to show him is endless.

I speak to Pop every day. He does not know it yet but there is a new (used) Cee Bailey on its way, there is a replacement brake pedal coming and I am trying to decide what to do with his seat. I am confident that he will be riding with me again soon. He was just overly grouchy this trip and I can fix that.

Pop sounds a lot like me. I like to keep moving and look around as I go. I carry a camera or two, but I very rarely actually stop and take a picture. There have been times that I regretted having blown past some place of interest, but not often, and sometimes I'm back in that area on another trip and still don't stop.
unknw.gif

And I don't see how you can believe that the problems began and ended with you. There were four people riding and each has responsibility for the issues. You rightly concerned yourself with the senior member of the ride and you can not be responsible for the other adults.

I have one suggestion. Since you and your Pop had a communication system and used it to your advantage, I suggest that if you ride with your cousins again they get a compatible unit so you can all communicate. But keep them on separate channels so that Pop can't hear the other riders comments as you ride.
We considered the Comm Systems for all of us. The Deciding Factor! was that the HD and the 'Wing both have LOUD stereos and they stay playing the whole time. We all know that if we had all been equipped with comm systems my cousin would not have wrecked two years ago like he did. Of course, just paying attention...

I do agree with all of you and I am taking all your wonderful advice to heart. How I will implement it, I am not yet sure.

You're trying as much as you can to make it as enjoyable as possible for all concerned; that's all you can do, and all anyone should expect. Different personalities with different agendas are always going to disagree at times. It's a shame your Dad couldn't put the wrecked truck out of his mind for the duration of the trip; he probably deprived himself of a lot of the enjoyment he could have had. You seem determined to learn and improve from this year's experience, next year is gonna be better.

RF,

You did good...but each rider is equally vested in the experience, and equally responsible for ensuring that all realize the pace and what the rhythm of the trip will be. Hashing those things ahead of time will help decide whether all y'all want to take the same trip at the same time.

You are to be commended for riding with family and trying to maintain those bonds...

...but sometimes its just a pain in the ass...and riding to destinations with like minded riders will add to your enjoyment...and save the family trips for other destinations. Again, I commend you, I just don't know how you survived the trip without ripping off your helmet at the end of each day and winging it into a far off cactus. :D

A suggestion... when planning my group rides, I share the info with everyone as to start point, lunch spot, end spot, etc. But honestly, it's way too difficult to try and please everyone... so I don't try! :lol: Some folks like to go fast, some like to go slower, some like to stop and take photos, some just want to go go GO!! We're all adults (most of the time! ;) ) and responsible for ourselves. If folks want to ride with me, then they are accepting what my goals are and are good with that. If they're not, they are always welcome to do their own thing. You're trying to please everyone and that's just not possible. Since it seems like the focus is on your dad, plan accordingly. Anyone else along for the ride can either follow the plan or do their own thing... and it's all good! B)

Latest posts