refrigerators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, you guys are sure lucky I'm here! 

When I bought my current reefer (it's a Whirlpool from Home Depot), I was disgusted to find out they expected me to replace the water filter--size of a tube of caulk--every six (I think) months.  Only $50 apiece.  Went on line, found pages of compatible generic filters, even listing my specific model fridge.  Think I bought a 4-pack for about thirty bucks.  Perfect.

This pos samjunk uses spendy filters also. My water comes straight out of the ground and tests perfect. There is a big filter in my pump house so I leave the filter out of the refer. Will do the same with the replacement 

LG gets hight ratings and that is the direction that I would take. Samsung not so much. They are going down the toilet in the last few years on many apliances.

Good luck,

We have Samsung washer/dryer as well as a refrigerator.  The washer/dryer have worked well for nearly nine years.  The washer is a front loader and will get mold if the door is not left open when not in use, but that is not uncommon on front loaders.  The refrigerator has been disappointing.  It has not frozen-up but there are cracks in the plastic door shelves that started about a year after we got it.

A couple of years ago we were looking for a new stove.  Our house is fitted for a down draft stove so our options are limited.  I called a local retailer that carrys several brands of appliances and spoke to a woman who told me they did not carry what we needed.  I asked her, that since she didn't have what I was looking for what was in her opinion the best appliance manufacturer.  She responded like she had been hoping someone would ask her that question and was glad to get it off her back.  Said they all have become disposable junk.  The consolidation of multiple brands under a few manufacturers has caused the durability and reliability of appliances to plummet.  She specifically singled out Maytag as a brand that was once known for its high quality and is now just another brand of mediocre quality.

Geez, you guys are sure lucky I'm here! 

When I bought my current reefer (it's a Whirlpool from Home Depot), I was disgusted to find out they expected me to replace the water filter--size of a tube of caulk--every six (I think) months.  Only $50 apiece.  Went on line, found pages of compatible generic filters, even listing my specific model fridge.  Think I bought a 4-pack for about thirty bucks.  Perfect.
I have been buying filters from Discountfilters.com for years. They have very good prices and if you check their web site now they offer an additional discount coupon when you give your email address.   

Bought a home last year that included a ten year old GE Profile side-by-side.  Didn't dawn on me right away why the previous owner had installed an under-counter water filtration system until I learned the GE's water dispenser kept freezing up.  After some reading I replaced what it took to keep the ice flapper closed tightly and also wrapped the inside of the freezer door with several sheets of insulation with the self-adhesive backing.  Seems to have done the trick so far.
Had the same issue with our GE side-by-side.  Even installed the factory 'heater kit', but it still kept freezing up.  It started dying, and got a Samsung french door model.  Knock on wood, its been okay.  Third fridge since we bought the house in '98.

We have Samsung washer/dryer as well as a refrigerator.  The washer/dryer have worked well for nearly nine years.  The washer is a front loader and will get mold if the door is not left open when not in use, but that is not uncommon on front loaders.  The refrigerator has been disappointing.  It has not frozen-up but there are cracks in the plastic door shelves that started about a year after we got it.

A couple of years ago we were looking for a new stove.  Our house is fitted for a down draft stove so our options are limited.  I called a local retailer that carrys several brands of appliances and spoke to a woman who told me they did not carry what we needed.  I asked her, that since she didn't have what I was looking for what was in her opinion the best appliance manufacturer.  She responded like she had been hoping someone would ask her that question and was glad to get it off her back.  Said they all have become disposable junk.  The consolidation of multiple brands under a few manufacturers has caused the durability and reliability of appliances to plummet.  She specifically singled out Maytag as a brand that was once known for its high quality and is now just another brand of mediocre quality.
Was told by an old school  appliance repairman to throw in a shot of Vinegar with each load to help keep the system clean.

Was told by an old school  appliance repairman to throw in a shot of Vinegar with each load to help keep the system clean.
Spousal Unit runs vinegar though it every now and then, seems to keep it under control.

Finally decided on GE. After many conversations with repair people it was a toss up between GE or whirlpool. Got the best deal on the GE. Hope it gets here before I have to defrost the Samshit again.

I did some research 6 years ago for my new house. I liked the GE looks and features, but customer reviews kept me from buying. Also note that GE appliances are now made in China! I decided on a counter depth Kitchenaid and it has been quite nice. I really like that it doesn't stick out like many fridges. The only problem I have had is a freezing water dispenser line when fridge is fully loaded. After thawing out the line, water flows once again though. 

My previous fridge was a Subzero - very nice, but expensive. I also had two repairs on it during my nine years of ownership!  

I don't know of any that are made to last. One repair guy said to buy the cheapest one I could stand to look at because it has the same guts as the fancy ones. The refer in my shop is 70+ years old and still works fine but the lady of the house wouldn't let me put it in the kitchen. I bought all the warranty I could get so it should last as long as the batteries in my pacemaker. After that they may shit can both of us. :punk:

Latest posts