Regarding Chainsaws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
by Hayden Carruth

(read with a New England accent)

The first chainsaw I owned was years ago,
an old yellow McCulloch that wouldn’t start.
Bo Bremmer give it to me that was my friend,
though I’ve had enemies couldn’t of done
no worse. I took it to Ward’s over to Morrisville,
and no doubt they tinkered it as best they could,
but it still wouldn’t start. One time later
I took it down to the last bolt and gasket
and put it together again, hoping somehow
I’d do something accidental-like that would
make it go, and then I yanked on it
450 times, as I figured afterwards,
and give myself a bursitis in the elbow
that went five years even after
Doc Arrowsmith shot it full of cortisone
and near killed me when he hit a nerve
dead on. Old Stan wanted that saw, wanted it bad.
Figured I was a greenhorn that didn’t know
nothing and he could fix it. Well, I was,
you could say, being only forty at the time,
but a fair hand at tinkering. “Stan," I said,
“you’re a neighbor. I like you. I wouldn’t
sell that thing to nobody, except maybe
Vice-President Nixon.” But Stan persisted.
He always did. One time we was loafing and
gabbing in his front dooryard, and he spied
that saw in the back of my pickup. He run
quick inside, then come out and stuck a double
sawbuck in my shirt pocket, and he grabbed
that saw and lugged it off. Next day, when I
drove past, I seen he had it snugged down tight
with a tow-chain on the bed of his old Dodge
Powerwagon, and he was yanking on it
with both hands. Two or three days after,
I asked him, “How you getting along with that
McCulloch, Stan?” “Well," he says, “I tooken
it down to scrap, and I buried it in three
separate places yonder on the upper side
of the potato piece. You can’t be too careful,"
he says, “when you’re disposing of a hex.”
The next saw I had was a godawful ancient
Homelite that I give Dry Dryden thirty bucks for,
temperamental as a ram too, but I liked it.
It used to remind me of Dry and how he’d
clap that saw a couple times with the flat
of his double-blade axe to make it go
and how he honed the chain with a worn-down
file stuck in an old baseball. I worked
that saw for years. I put up forty-five
run them days each summer and fall to keep
my stoves het through the winter. I couldn’t now.
It’d kill me. Of course they got these here
modern Swedish saws now that can take
all the worry out of it. What’s the good
of that? Takes all the fun out too, don’t it?
Why, I reckon. I mind when Gilles Boivin snagged
an old sap spout buried in a chunk of maple
and it tore up his mouth so bad he couldn’t play
“Tea for Two” on his cornet in the town band
no more, and then when Toby Fox was holding
a beech limb that Rob Bowen was bucking up
and the saw skidded crossways and nipped off
one of Toby’s fingers. Ain’t that more like it?
Makes you know you’re living. But mostly they wan’t
dangerous, and the only thing they broke was your
back. Old Stan, he was a buller and a jammer
in his time, no two ways about that, but he
never sawed himself. Stan had the sugar
all his life, and he wan’t always too careful
about his diet and the injections. He lost
all the feeling in his legs from the knees down.
One time he started up his Powerwagon
out in the barn, and his foot slipped off the clutch,
and she jumped forwards right through the wall
and into the manure pit. He just set there,
swearing like you could of heard it in St.
Johnsbury, till his wife come out and said,
“Stan, what’s got into you?” “Missus," he says
“ain’t nothing got into me. Can’t you see?
It’s me that’s got into this here pile of shit.”
Not much later they took away one of his
legs, and six months after that they took
the other and left him setting in his old chair
with a tank of oxygen to sip at whenever
he felt himself sinking. I remember that chair.
Stan reupholstered it with an old bearskin
that must of come down from his great-great-
grandfather and had grit in it left over
from the Civil War and a bullet-hole as big
as a yawning cat. Stan latched the pieces together
with rawhide, cross fashion, but the stitches was
always breaking and coming undone. About then
I quit stopping by to see old Stan, and I
don’t feel so good about that neither. But my mother
was having her strokes then. I figured
one person coming apart was as much
as a man can stand. Then Stan was taken away
to the nursing home, and then he died. I always
remember how he planted them pieces of spooked
McCulloch up above the potatoes. One time
I went up and dug, and I took the old
sprocket, all pitted and et away, and set it
on the windowsill right there next to the
butter mold. But I’m damned if I know why.

Reminded me of Robert Frost in a way. I liked it.

Too bad it was a chainsaw and not a Harley. You could have put it in "Other Bike/Bike-Related Discussions." The rest of it would have worked.

I had a friend when I still lived in Wa. that would and could fix anything but if you walked into his shop with a yellow saw the stream of profanity was world class and you were banished from the shop for some time.

I grew up with one of those heavy yellow Macs, a couple hundred yards from Stoney Point, Ray. Eucalyptus and Athol was soft enough, but I earned my chain sharpening spurs from the wood of orange trees. Unfortunately, that damn saw almost always started . . . after so many pulls that my energy to do the cuttin' was sapped.

Yeah, I adopted a little, well used, yellow saw from my Father in Law. It was a horrible POS.

Went out and bought myself another cheap, red saw (Homelite) but at least that one ran well enough to heat our little 2 BR split level that we owned at that time, and lasted for a few years. Still have it in a state of disrepair. Can't seem to bear throwing it in the scrap heap.

I had a Jotul stove back then that I bought at a deep discount and built a nice lined block chimney for it. House had FHA oil heat, and oil was expensive, so I just put an air duct on the suction side of the fan, opening over the wood stove and heated the whole house just running the circulation fan.

We heat with pellets and oil now (older and lazy, and oil is cheap enough) but I still cut a little wood for the open fireplace. Husky makes a damn fine saw these days and they aren't all that expensive. Built a pallet wood woodshed just outside my back door. Keeps the wood nice and dry for clean burning fires.

Never got over my Boy Scout pyromania, I guess. Still love to just sit and watch a fire burn. Simple things for simple people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chain saws, just like motorcycles, are a LOT better nowadays than what we were using in the '60s. Stihl is my preferred brand. In addition to their backpack blower and weedeater, I have 3 commercial duty Stihl chainsaws:

An 18" 026 Pro (~2000) that I need to rebuild & change to 16" (when I run out of other projects),

Its newer 18" direct replacement MS 261 (~2013) that is the workhorse, and

An 020 T arbor saw (~2002) that doesn't get abused on heavier duty tasks.

My main source of heat is a woodburning stove (cheaper than the LPG forced air system) - in a great room with the HVAC return above the stove. I have 6.4 wooded acres with a lot of oak. Rapidly getting too old to climb trees with the arbor saw, but happy to have saws that do the efficient job these do. I cannot imagine that task 100 years ago; even that heavy old McCullough would beat axes and buck saws!

Like Fred I still have the red XL homelight sitting on the shelf. Had it fixed once and right after that the rope broke. Been sitting there ever since. I cut a hell of a lot of wood with that saw. The next in line was the Husky 065 which is what I still currently use. It seized up the first week I used it. Back then you bought them from a Husky dealer. No chain stores sold them at that time. They didn't give me a new saw but ended up rebuilding it. That sucker is now over 30 years old. It's getting a little hard to pull if it sits to long but still runs great. I always like the Stihl the best but was out of my price range. My borther gave me an 18" stihl and that thing can cut wood. It's a big saw so I mostly use it to take down the tree or when I get the husky stuck.

I have been burning wood over 30 years. I tried the pellet stove for a year and went back to wood when they jacked up the pellet cost. The last two houses that I owned had plenty of wood to go out and cut. I figure I still have another 10 years of wood cutting left on the land I own now. Maybe by that time I can retire from it. It takes up a lot of my time and energy but I love doing it. I burn all the branches in a 6 ft. diameter pit. I have spent hours sitting in front of that fire just relaxing and having a few beers. Good lord willing my health will let me keep goin.

Dave

Heating 100% with wood for last 5 years. When heating oil hit 4$ + per gallon I put in a Napoleon stove. Best thing I ever did! Jerked around with cheap saws then bought a used Makita 6421 Home Depot rental saw for $200. It's a Dolmar commercial 64cc saw runs all day long never bogs down built like a tank. Prob be the last saw I will ever own! Now I use maybe 30 gallons a year of oil. Nothing better than coming home to a hot stove on a cold day.

I have a chainsaw (purchased new) that won't fail to start. But somehow developed on it's second season an inability to keep the chain on, despite my best adjustments. Tensioned properly, it just makes me homicidal. I appreciate the poetry of the original post. I'm just saying I don't start my shiny low-mileage chainsaw because it's communist.

I had a friend when I still lived in Wa. that would and could fix anything but if you walked into his shop with a yellow saw the stream of profanity was world class and you were banished from the shop for some time.
Hey Ray, I just got another KZ1300? Wanna have a whack at it?
punk.gif

Yeah, I adopted a little, well used, yellow saw from my Father in Law. It was a horrible POS.
Went out and bought myself another cheap, red saw (Homelite) but at least that one ran well enough to heat our little 2 BR split level that we owned at that time, and lasted for a few years. Still have it in a state of disrepair. Can't seem to bear throwing it in the scrap heap.

I had a Jotul stove back then that I bought at a deep discount and built a nice lined block chimney for it. House had FHA oil heat, and oil was expensive, so I just put an air duct on the suction side of the fan, opening over the wood stove and heated the whole house just running the circulation fan.

We heat with pellets and oil now (older and lazy, and oil is cheap enough) but I still cut a little wood for the open fireplace. Husky makes a damn fine saw these days and they aren't all that expensive. Built a pallet wood woodshed just outside my back door. Keeps the wood nice and dry for clean burning fires.

Never got over my Boy Scout pyromania, I guess. Still love to just sit and watch a fire burn. Simple things for simple people.
The propane box hasn't run in 5 years. Now that it's not too smart for me to be on the roof to sweep the stack.. Maybe again propane. No. Fuck that. I'll hire a kid.

Yes. Watch a fire burn. Good stuff.

Husky bought in 91.. Original spark plug. 3 pull start. Castrol 36:1 cause I like the smell. Smaller, newer, lighter Stihl. BrushDog. Ok, but not the magic of Husky.

EDIT

Great post Fred.

The old man telling that story in my head..... I wouldn't mind sitting a spell around the stove with him.

I've been a burner for over a decade. (We bought out first house in 2003.) First saw was a 20" blue Homelite inherited from her grandfather. Manual chain oiler. That saw was older than me, and I'm pretty sure it's still kicking around the family somewhere.

I have moved on to newer equipment. I've got a 28" Stihl, a 20" Stihl, and a 14" Echo limbing saw that is my "go-to". I've also got the gear to climb, and I use it often enough to justify having purchased it.

The only time my gas furnace gets turned on is when we take the family vacation over Easter.

That was an excellent poem. I bought a Stihl new. It worked flawlessly through a couple of trees. I kept the chain sharp. Pulled it back out the next year, and the POS wont run more than a minute without throwing the chain. No amount of adjustment or fiddling will make it work for more than a minute or so. Maddening. It'd be better if it just didn't start.

I'm interested in climbing gear (or would be if I had a saw that worked). I was an avid rappeller and rock climber for some time. But I picked up other interests (moving on to canoeing, then kayaking, and, in recent years, pretty much just motorcycling), but I've never acquired gear suitable for climbing in trees. I'd like to but don't know where to start. I have a lot of trees near my house (okay, encroaching upon my house), and have plenty of reason to examine it further.

I am lucky enough to know 2 acquaintances that owned tree businesses, and one friend who climbs for one of the businesses. I have always been a climber, and decided that it might be smarter to do it safely, so I spent time working (for free) to learn how to do it right. Gone are the days when I will free climb, with a rope tied to the saw.

phone%20138_zps2qp4mxau.jpg

My wife and son feel it is smarter to make sure I don't fall out of the tree, rather than worrying about the saw.

If Cav47 ever pops back in here, he might be persuaded to share an interesting story about tree climbing.
black%20eye.gif

Nice story, FredW, and thanks for the tip about the HVAC return positioned directly above the stove.

An long-ago friend, prior to getting married, lived in a 100-year-old farmhouse in rural SC. The brick fireplace was in the center of the house, like the hole in a doughnut. He bough a heavy iron fireplace insert and would damp the grate so the fire burned low all night long. Those bricks got warm, and heated the entire house.

My saw is an 18" Sthil. I only use it once a year for about 2 tanks of gas. I use the stihl oil (what a rip), ethanol free gas, and I run the carb dry before cleaning it and putting it away.

Every year, without fail, I've got to allow an extra 30 minutes to disassemble the carb, clean the crap out of it, reassemble, and then the saw will start and run like a scalded ape. For whatever reason, I just cannot avoid it. There is always (ALWAYS) a microscopic piece of crap in the pilot jet.

BTW - has anyone actually seen a scalded ape?