Relocating to Iowa for work

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

This April, my wife and I are moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, due to a job change.

I wanted to give people a heads up, in case anyone wants to give me the cold shoulder early and often :p Radman already yelled at me, which is nice... :yahoo:

I'm still at the same place in Richfield for a month, and my garage is still open for hang-outs and stuff.

Shane

I'm still at the same place in Richfield for a month, and my garage is still open for hang-outs and stuff.

Shane
doesn't affect me...but the obvious question is "are you getting a substantial wage increase and does that mean much more "exciting" garage hanging out ??? :rolleyes:

definitely wishing you the best on your new life experiences to come

Mike

in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane
doesn't affect me...but the obvious question is "are you getting a substantial wage increase and does that mean much more "exciting" garage hanging out ??? :rolleyes:

definitely wishing you the best on your new life experiences to come

Mike

in Nawlins'

Thanks Mike,

Appreciate the well-wishes. Compensation package to start is a wash with the current situation, with very positive future trending--certainly more predictable and in my wheelhouse. Should lead to ever-more-exciting garage time.

Other nice things are the location relative to more great motorcycle roads, and I'll be 100 miles closer to my brother in southern Wisconsin, who is back on two wheels after 16 years off. It will be great to ride with him again!

Shane

Dang it! Who's gonna put my new front tire on now? If it warms up soon I'll give you a shout, otherwise congrats, and good luck.

Dang it! Who's gonna put my new front tire on now? If it warms up soon I'll give you a shout, otherwise congrats, and good luck.
The snow should be gone in time to get 'er done before we go. Give me a shout when you're ready in the next coupla' weeks.

Shane

The snow should be gone in time to get 'er done before we go. Give me a shout when you're ready in the next coupla' weeks.

Shane
Call me when you've picked a day. We can make an event of it.

1. I need to test fit something on your GenI to make sure it clears the GIVI rack

2. I still owe you beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Shane hope the move is a good one for you.

Now I'll have a place to visit when I get near Cedar Rapids. :)

Changing a tire seems like a great reason for a beer, I'm

all for it.

Shane
Call me when you've picked a day. We can make an event of it.

1. I need to test fit something on your GenI to make sure it clears the GIVI rack

2. I still owe you beer.
Alright, you talked me into it...

Two options that I can throw out are Saturday, March 26, and Saturday, April 9.

If we succeed in finding lodging this next week, then the March 26 date will be possible. If we strike out this week, then we'll be going back down on the next Friday/Saturday to try again, making the April 9 date more likely to happen.

Heck, as long as we find a house to rent this next week, might as well do both days for open-garaging.

Shane

Congrats Shane hope the move is a good one for you.

Now I'll have a place to visit when I get near Cedar Rapids. :)

Changing a tire seems like a great reason for a beer, I'm

all for it.
You're always welcome Gramps!

Shane

Howdy folks,

This April, my wife and I are moving to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, due to a job change.

I wanted to give people a heads up, in case anyone wants to give me the cold shoulder early and often :p Radman already yelled at me, which is nice... :yahoo:

Shane
Shane,

You'll live right on the Ave. of the Saints, so the twin cities is just a "Short hop"

I use to live up the road in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. To "prep" yourself for your relocation....

Take 20 bowls of corn flakes, soak them in milk and let them sit around the house 'til you move.

You will see (Smell) what I mean.

Best wishes

Howdy folks,

Shane
Shane,

You'll live right on the Ave. of the Saints, so the twin cities is just a "Short hop"

I use to live up the road in Waterloo/Cedar Falls. To "prep" yourself for your relocation....

Take 20 bowls of corn flakes, soak them in milk and let them sit around the house 'til you move.

Best wishes
Tru dat. While the official slogan is City of Five Seasons, it's more widely known as the City of Five Smells. You can tell which way the wind is blowing by whether you smell soybeans, cereal, ethanol, etc. :lol:

I'm often in that neighborhood, riding parts of the Lincoln Highway, or passing through on the way to Dubuque and 'sconsin. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.

Howdy folks,

Shane

Shane,

Best wishes

Tru dat. While the official slogan is City of Five Seasons, it's more widely known as the City of Five Smells. You can tell which way the wind is blowing by whether you smell soybeans, cereal, ethanol, etc. :lol:

I'm often in that neighborhood, riding parts of the Lincoln Highway, or passing through on the way to Dubuque and 'sconsin. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.
I wonder if it's any worse than the water treatment plant associated with the paper mill in my hometown? :blink:

Or our beef farm of my childhood? :eek:

Or the bowel surgeries I used to dread, and still have gag-reflex memories of? :dribble:

Oh well, a little gasoline, grease, and tire lube ought to cut it down a bit... :assassin:

Shane

Howdy folks,

Shane

Shane,

Best wishes

I wonder if it's any worse than the water treatment plant associated with the paper mill in my hometown? :blink:

Or our beef farm of my childhood? :eek:

Or the bowel surgeries I used to dread, and still have gag-reflex memories of? :dribble:

Oh well, a little gasoline, grease, and tire lube ought to cut it down a bit... :assassin:

Shane
Ewwww...

Given your olfactory history, I think you'll do just fine.

Was able to figure out a housing situation last weekend, so...

Looks like this weekend is a garage-time weekend!

Saturday, March 26, folks are welcome over for a tech day/hangout/carb cleaning class/tire changing extravaganza/coffee drinking situation/whatever day. 9 am - ?

Lower your expectations and we'll have a great time!

If you need directions, PM me.

Shane

too bad it's going to be about 35 degrees this Saturday. If you're ever on 70th St. by Penn you might see me working on my FJR as it warms up.

Was able to figure out a housing situation last weekend, so...

Looks like this weekend is a garage-time weekend!

Saturday, March 26, folks are welcome over for a tech day/hangout/carb cleaning class/tire changing extravaganza/coffee drinking situation/whatever day. 9 am - ?

Lower your expectations and we'll have a great time!

If you need directions, PM me.

Shane
PM sent, I'm in and I'll bring Donuts, Maple Bacon Long Johns anyone?