Rent a Farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot2Wheels

Reaction score
I got to thinking, and that is always scary. :eek:

I see lots of posts asking about different Farkles like windshields, seats, etc., and understand that it is a risk to drop from $100 to over $500 for an accessory without being able to try it out first.

What if the club had a supply of such accessories to lend out to people for a fee? I'm thinking out loud here, so you can punch holes in my idea, and add your own, and I won't get my panties in a wad. :eek:

I see lots of people selling different items in the forum, so why not sell or donate them to the club. Once a list of items is available for rent, someone manages the items, and gets a cut of the rental to handle their time and effort. The rental fee is nothing huge, and covers shipping both ways plus the fee to whomever manages the inventory to cover their efforts.

Now, you may be asking where we get the money to buy the inventory? Lets say that 50 people bought a Farkle membership for say $100. That would give us $5000 to procure items. Said members would get priority and a discount on renting the items. So, for example, it I paid the $100 entry fee, I can now try out that corbin seat, the VStream windshield vs a Rifle, a pair of highway pegs, and maybe even a handlebar riser. :clapping:

I haven't thought through it entirely, but it sure would be cool to have access to a bunch of items I could try out, before I really commit to some serious coin.

Since I'm not keeping the parts, I really don't care if they have some scratches on them, so they don't have to be perfect. Of course a retainer may be necessary for the guy who doesn't seem to return stuff.

So, what do y'all think?

Wayne

This is a good ideas. Except there is no "Club" per se, just a forum, and so there is no funds to purchase said loaners,

In the past, some generous folks have donated used stuff, like windshields and such, to the collective with the stipulation that it be tried and then, even if you like it a lot, forwarded to the next guy and you go buy your own new, knowing that it's what you want. That kind of info is pretty much priceless.

But this will only work with "off the shelf" farkles, and those that are pretty durable. Won;'t work for custom seats or electrical/electronic goodies as the seats have to be customized to do any good, and the electric stuff has a propensity for folks to let the magic smoke out during their trial periods.

Still, it's a great idea that, with the right tailoring, would be a big benefit to the community. So, kick it off. :thumbsup:

Kind of on the same line of a fourm loaners I have seen on other fourms for loaner tools for special jobs, headsets, final drive, valve shims, fork seals, wheel bearing. etc.the way it works is there is a seperate thread and the person sends it to whoever needs it, then that person will pay shipping to the next person that needs it or original owner.

Now, you may be asking where we get the money to buy the inventory? Lets say that 50 people bought a Farkle membership for say $100. That would give us $5000 to procure items......
Feel free to keep talking about it, but that particular area crosses over into an area that your hosts are going to be reticent about supporting, endorsing, or possibly even allowing. Money changing hands is potentially a big issue.

Kind of on the same line of a fourm loaners I have seen on other fourms....
A very good approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a ceebaileys with flip in the winter and a stock screen in the summer. I would gladly let someone borrow my either of my windscreens when they are off of the bike as long as I get them back for the season I use them. No charge unless of course they are broken upon return.

It also might be prudent to approach Vendors and tell them of what is planned. Maybe some would donate scratch and dent to promote sales?

The only issue I see is like a MCL Triple Tree, after going through the install, some may not want to do it twice. I mean you do have to drill the ignition switch bolts off. At that point I would say a sale would be made and another scratch and dent procured? Same with the MCL Highway Pegs?

Again I am just thinking along with the crowd, but it would be a nice idea.

The way it works for me and many folks here is to horse trade for what you want to try out. By that I mean, buy it from a member for a reasonable price, if it isn't the right thing for you sell it again for what you paid. I've tried out at least 6 different windshields and I don't think more than a total of $100 has changed hands. Same thing with the 5 different seats I've had. If you don't like it, put it back on the forum for sale. That's one of the biggest benefits I have found on this forum.

It almost as good as watching Bust or Howie rip someone a new one. :clapping:

It also might be prudent to approach Vendors and tell them of what is planned. Maybe some would donate scratch and dent to promote sales?

The only issue I see is like a MCL Triple Tree, after going through the install, some may not want to do it twice. I mean you do have to drill the ignition switch bolts off. At that point I would say a sale would be made and another scratch and dent procured? Same with the MCL Highway Pegs?

Again I am just thinking along with the crowd, but it would be a nice idea.
You're right, the bar risers may be a little too much for a try and see.

However, other simple bolt on items like a windshield, seat, highway pegs and the such could work.

It would be cool though if there were such a place or way to check out certain accessories, like a book at the library. Maybe a permanent thread where you follow the accessory, and when done, you ship it to the next person in line. I like the idea of a possible vendor donating a scratch and dent for this very purpose. Very cool.

Keep the thoughts coming...

Who knows where it could lead.

Wayne

We sorta have it already...only in reverse. In the Pay-it-forward section of the For Sale section you can get stuff that others have tried.

The difference is they DON'T want to keep it, so they pass it on for someone else to try for free.

I always liked the phrase 'Try it, you'll like it' ...so maybe try the PIF thread for now.

We sorta have it already...only in reverse. In the Pay-it-forward section of the For Sale section you can get stuff that others have tried.

The difference is they DON'T want to keep it, so they pass it on for someone else to try for free.

I always liked the phrase 'Try it, you'll like it' ...so maybe try the PIF thread for now.
The PIF idea is great, but doesn't do the same thing this would accomplish. What I think would be cool, is a way for people to have access to an accessory for a certain amount of time to try it out. Imagine if we had a thread for windshields, with topics for each type or size. If I was the original person to start with it, when I'm done with it, say 20 day trial, I pay to ship it to the next person in line. After their 20 day trail, they pay to ship it to the next person, and so on.

In the PIF thread, you get something to keep, and give up something different for another person to keep. My idea is to have a way for people to try bolt on accessories that they don't keep.

[]

Again, it's just an idea, but most great things came from the "What if..."

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck I'm game if and when anything like this happens.

I have a Sargent seat for a Gen II if anyone wants to try it, just ship it back to me in a somewhat timely manner.

I would love to try some highway pegs. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd like them.

I have been letting this idea simmer for a little while, and it still seems doable to me. Great offer by the way Jules083.

First, maybe the Admins can change the title of this thread to reflect it as a free opportunity vs something that makes money.

Here is my idea:

If a specific area could be started under the accessory topic, and have each item that is out there to try have it's own thread. For example, I have a pair of "Kouba Link" yamaha FJR2 dog bones that I have that I am willing to part with. If a topic was listed as "Kouba Link Dog Bones", then anyone who wanted to try them could. I would pack them up and even pay for the shipping. The recipient would use them for 30 days, and then pack them up in the same container I sent them in, and pay to ship them to the next person. As people log on to the topic, they would in essence be on a waiting list. If there is no one in line, then the last person just waits until someone new wants to try them out. This would eliminate having a central location for all accessories.

Now, some items may be a little to much for someone to just donate. What if the person who had a seat for example, wanted to sell it, and wants $400 for it. What if they offered it for say $300 with the intention of having it out there for someone to try, and say I bought it, but then when I am done with it, sold it for $200, and so on. Yeah it cost me $100 to try it out, but in a way, it's like I'm donating the $100 to the good of the FJR community. If 4 people did this, we have a seat in the topic inventory for people to keep trying.

Like I said in an earlier post, the PIF is for someone to keep. This idea is for the item to stay in circulation on a continuous basis. The items don't really have to be perfect since no one is really keeping them. However, if they want to keep them, say the lowering links I mentioned above, they just buy the next set and have them shipped to whomever is next on the list. Saves them from having to uninstall and then reinstall the new ones. Of course seats are much easier.

Items I see that could work, are seats, windshields, highway pegs, slip on grips, etc. Any other ideas of items that would work?

Also, if someone is close to or familiar with a vendor, then maybe they could talk to them and have them donate it to that person who can then list it. This keeps the thread pure from commercial interests.

Again, I'm just trying to figure out a way to make this work, since I would find it very useful.

Wayne

Heck I'm game if and when anything like this happens.

I have a Sargent seat for a Gen II if anyone wants to try it, just ship it back to me in a somewhat timely manner.

I would love to try some highway pegs. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd like them.
Hey Jules I'll have my highway pegs off in a few weeks if ya wanna try em or buy em. Ping me hen please. :p

I have at least 5 windshields, ranging from a stocker cut down 6 inches to the OEM touring, a CalSci and a Vstream...(which i haven't tried yet)

they are not really for sale, and assuming i'm not currently using the one(s) they want, i'd be willing to send to folks who are interested in trying different options, let em run for a week or so and ship em back... shipping runs about $10-15 IIRC...

Of course the shields are (w/ exception of the extreme low cut) in excellent condition and have only been cleaned w/ Plexus and microfiber so the expectation is they are returned in similar condition...

just a thought...