Retirement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker
Reaction score
Well its been almost two months since I retired, Didnt last long since I've gotten bored and can only watch so many movies on Netflix...

I start a New job on Monday... well if you can call it a job.... Parts guy at a Yamaha dealer.... get paid to work around bikes... Now thats retirement

I know what you mean Jim. After 8 months of retirement I needed to get out of my "honey do" list. Found myself a part time job (not a good like yours however). It's all good.

Just over a year for me.

I considered a part-time job over winter - but I couldn't find the time to go look!
smile.png

Al.

+1 Kamal.

Retired in November. Turned 58 3 months later. Been too busy to think about a paying job.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. , I've got 4 more years and have a simple question. Did you have the 8 to 12 years salary saved as the "Experts" reccomend? I'm short of that number but am going to step away at 62 come hell or high water.

My last day at work was March 1st, but I took four weeks' vacation, so I'll get paid through next Friday. I sent the human resources director an email with the subject "I'm going on vacation, and I ain't coming back." She thanked me for the laugh ;)

I'm already bored. My wife keeps telling me to go ride, but all my riding buddies still work; I don't like to ride by myself as much. I'll do it, but going out by myself with nobody to listen to my lies at lunch is nowhere near the fun ;)

I see a part time job on the horizon. I've worked in computer support for 25 years, and I want to stay up with current stuff. Without working in it, I'd don't think I would.

Juniorfjr, that's going to depend on you. If you start Social Security at 62, you'll retire at 75% of your full retirement amount. Take the cash and investments you have and decide if you can take 4% to 5% of that every year on top of your social security and keep the bills paid. If you've not already done it, you can go to https://www.ssa.gov/ and get an estimate of the benefits you'll draw. It'll also tell you how much you can earn without affecting your social security benefits.

Best of luck to you.

O.K. , I've got 4 more years and have a simple question. Did you have the 8 to 12 years salary saved as the "Experts" reccomend? I'm short of that number but am going to step away at 62 come hell or high water.
I did, but more important for me was to be debt free.

I made good money at the pulp mill for 30+ years and my co-workers gave me a hard time for living in a 'shack' in a (then) 'bad part of town' - now an up-and-coming, trendy area.
smile.png

But I got the last laugh and I'm lovin' it.

After four kids, divorce, bankruptcy and getting hurt on the job and kicked out with a minimal pension I hadn't saved shit. Last day on a real job was December 15, 1998. I do what I can in my home shop and live one day at a time. Eat good when bizz is good and top ramen when it isn't. When it's all over we all end up in the hole with dirt in our face so life is for the living. Now if the ice on my road will melt things will be fine. Where is Al Gore when I need him. on a FJR of course.
smile.png

I am 10 years out from retirement the g/f is a bit closer. We will be ok but I would like a part time job too and working at a running store or motorcycle dealer would be high on the list for me.

After four kids, divorce, bankruptcy and getting hurt on the job and kicked out with a minimal pension I hadn't saved shit. Last day on a real job was December 15, 1998. I do what I can in my home shop and live one day at a time. Eat good when bizz is good and top ramen when it isn't. When it's all over we all end up in the hole with dirt in our face so life is for the living. Now if the ice on my road will melt things will be fine. Where is Al Gore when I need him. on a FJR of course.
smile.png
That's the spirit Ray!
smile.png

Unfortunately, I think you are in the majority?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have nearly 8-12 years saved. I did have ALL bills paid off (owe no man) so only utilities, property tax, and insurance are looming requirements in that area. The money is better to have than the interest/tax break on that base money (IMO). With that, an annuity that is about 40% of my previous salary, and a year or two's worth of investments rolled over into an IRA, I am okay. I won't be taking any world-hopping vacations but I'm not worried about a roof over my head or food on the table.

Like I said. I've been so busy that I have had no thoughts of going back to work.

smile.png
And you still manage to own and ride two motorcycles. You give me hope :thumbs up: Why don't we have a thumbs up emoticon?

Wow, this group is getting old! AND I fit right in! Soon be 63, planning to work fulltime until 66, then maybe part time after. I do have a bunch of places on my "bucket" list that i want to visit on the FJR, most of them I put off because I didn't want to take the time of of work. Hopefully I can condition myself to do those trips then.

Any advice on re-programming mind and body to slow down would be appreciated.

Wow, this group is getting old! AND I fit right in! Soon be 63, planning to work fulltime until 66, then maybe part time after. I do have a bunch of places on my "bucket" list that i want to visit on the FJR, most of them I put off because I didn't want to take the time of of work. Hopefully I can condition myself to do those trips then.Any advice on re-programming mind and body to slow down would be appreciated.
Can't help you. I started practicing for retirement a couple of years before I left. It feels quite natural. ;)