Rev Limiter on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShine

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Coming home from Tim's Memorial this weekend, I was trailing our little group of riders while heading north on a lonely stretch of Hwy 25.

The bikes I first rode and learned on didn't have engines that would protect themselves from rider abuse, so I've never ridden in any manner that assumed that they actually would. But that afternoon, I thought I might explore a bit and see what the setting on the FJR's rev limiter was.

So I shifted down to second gear, wide open throttle, and watched the tach climb. 8.5, 9.0 (red), 9.5, 10.0 (no limiter yet), 10.5... Crap. I chickened out and cut back on the throttle. WTF? Where's the rev limiter? So I tried once again. Same thing, same chickening out. At least we're both consistent. :) That seemed way past redline, and I'm not terribly comfortable rev'ing the engine higher to trigger a feature, that for all I know, may not be working on my particular bike. Later, I couldn't find any mention of the redline (or the rev limiter for that matter) in the Service Manual.

But that's me. I seem to have a rev limiter built into my conscience.

So what's your experience been? Found the rev limiter on your bike yet?

I've hit the limiter in 2nd and 3rd gear when I was getting settled in with my new 2007 left over. The sucker red lines pretty quick in 2nd at WOT while passing a car in a long sweeper, then I found out 3rd revs out quick at full burn too. Haven't hit the rev limiter since that day, usually shift by 9K now since that sudden loss of power. Coming off a ST1100 Honda I had to remind myself I don't need WOT to play anymore. :yahoo:

Rev limits,

They are different on the Gen I and Gen II's.

My 07A hits the shitter at 9300 rpm (indicated).

Gramps has told me that his 05 hits it at 10,500.

WW

as close as i can tell ( i had a lot going on at the time) 9300-9500 on my 08. comes down from a wheelie really fast when it hits.

Interesting thread...the bikes seem to be limiting all over the place???? This does not make sense. I can see that Gen 1 and Gen might be different, but not bike to bike within generations Please, others with info please post!!!! I have hit mine about twice, both times in West By God Virginny at EOM trying to keep up with gasportrider. One time we passed two cars and three hardly davidsons, who were holding up the cars! <_< . Like Jeff said, "I was too busy at the time" to notice what RPM I was at, but the limiter clearly was working. The only thing I can say for certain is that it is somewhere north of 9000. I grew up racing British sports cars and generally pay close attention to red lines. That 948cc H production Sprite was a bitch to overhaul.

Ed

I wouldn't assume the tach is accurate. Certainly no more so than the speedo, which we know

is frequently more than 5% off.

- JimY

After putting in the PCIII on my 07A I hit 9K indicated in first and had a sudden loss of power. The 9,300 sound about right for GenII at least on my machine.

After reading about "blowing it out" the other day I decided to find the limiter just for my own knowledge ;) and hit it at about 9300 on my 07AE in 2nd. Oooohhh what fun. If I ever get out on a track I may see if I can get it in other gears, but I'm not ready for that yet. :rolleyes: