ride to Big Bend Texas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big ears

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Just returned from 1900 mile round trip to the big bend of the Rio Grande river, southwest Texas. My 08 fjr was a blast. Smooth, fast, and handled every crook with ease. I was with four goldwings, three 1800s and one 1500, a harley 88, and an st1300 honda. When an open stretch, slightly uphill for about two miles lay before me, I could not contain myself. I jumped out of the middle of the pack and shot off ahead. No one even tried to follow which suprised me because those goldwingers are a proud bunch. The fellow on the st1300 said he thought his motor had died when I shot passed. Temperatures ranged form 106 to 54 in the same day. It was a good trip in an area I had not seen before, I wish my wife would have been with me. I added this statement because my wife wanted to read my post. I also deleted that I went 142 on a nice stretch of road near Marathon, Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: Just returned from 1900 mile round trip to the big bend of the Rio Grande rivet, southwest Texas. My 08 fjr was a blast. Smooth, fast, and handled every crook with ease. I was with four goldwings, three 1800s and one f500, an harley 88, and an st1300 honda. When an open stretch, slightly uphill for about two miles lay before me, I could not contain myself. I jumped out of the middle of the pack and shot off ahead. No one even tried to follow which suprised me because those goldwingers are a proud bunch. The fellow on the st1300 said he thought his motor had died when I shot passed him. I was quickly to 140+ when I had the nerve to look at the speedo. This was a great trip. Temperatures ranged from 106 from Langtry to Alpine Texas, to a low of 54 all in one day. No problems at all with my fjr. I have had it six weeks and have over 4000 miles on it.
Good for you! Hey, are you SkooterG's brother? Great to hear you had a nice ride; as time progresses, I enjoy the ride reports more than any other section. Any pictures? A map of the area you rode?

Sounds like a great ride. The Big Bend country is like a world of its own. And March-May is the best time to ride it.

:rolleyes: Just returned from 1900 mile round trip to the big bend of the Rio Grande rivet, southwest Texas. My 08 fjr was a blast. Smooth, fast, and handled every crook with ease. I was with four goldwings, three 1800s and one f500, an harley 88, and an st1300 honda. When an open stretch, slightly uphill for about two miles lay before me, I could not contain myself. I jumped out of the middle of the pack and shot off ahead. No one even tried to follow which suprised me because those goldwingers are a proud bunch. The fellow on the st1300 said he thought his motor had died when I shot passed him. I was quickly to 140+ when I had the nerve to look at the speedo. This was a great trip. Temperatures ranged from 106 from Langtry to Alpine Texas, to a low of 54 all in one day. No problems at all with my fjr. I have had it six weeks and have over 4000 miles on it.
Good for you! Hey, are you SkooterG's brother? Great to hear you had a nice ride; as time progresses, I enjoy the ride reports more than any other section. Any pictures? A map of the area you rode?
Don't know SkooterG. Did not take a camera just went to ride. Some of the group took pictures. I don't know how to put pictures on a post.

Sounds like a great ride. The Big Bend country is like a world of its own. And March-May is the best time to ride it.
Yea, it sure was nice. First long trip for me. Been riding since I was 22 but never more than 120 miles one way at a time.