Ride to NRA Convention in Phoenix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Willy

It's bad, you know
Reaction score
My first longish trip on the FJR. Breaking in my new Bill Mayer saddle. Left Palmdale, CA early Thursday the 21st with a couple of buddies from work (Ducati Multistrada & Kawasaki ZX-10R) enroute to the NRA convention in Phoenix. Weather was perfect.

Drove Victorville to the 15 to the 40. Left 40 just inside the Arizona-California border and took a side trip up to Oatman on the old Route 66. Fantastic drive through the canyons...two thumbs way up. It's not clear from the maps & GPS data, but the road is paved all the way from Topock to Kingman. From Kingman, we continued on the 66 toward Grand Canyon Caverns. Late afternoon ride on a great 2-lane road was worth the price of admission. Stayed the first night in Williams, AZ. GPS declared 465 mi. Got a good steak at Doc Holliday's Steakhouse & Saloon (Doc Holidays).

Up early Friday for a ride over to Flagstaff then down Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona (route info). Beautiful mid morning ride in perfect crisp weather. What a view...this has to be one of the best canyon rides in Arizona. Breakfast in Sedona. From Sedona, we rode the 89A through Bridgeport and up the mountain to Jerome. Jerome is a destination in its own right. The view, the ride, the experience, you must live it to appreciate. Down the far side of the mountain into Prescott for lunch then down the 69 to I17 and on to Phoenix at road eating speed. Low point of the trip was coming on a MC accident on the 17 just a few minutes after it occurred. Rider was down on the pavement (pro'lly 145 degrees on the tarmac) with 3-4 folks on him doing CPR. Lots of people stopped...big accident and out in the middle of nowhere. Things did not look good for this fellow. Ensure enough help, say a prayer, think safe and continue the drive down to Phoenix. In Phoenix, OAT (outside air temp) is reading 108 degrees!! It's hotter outside the helmet than inside...put that visor back down. Stopping in traffic is stifling. Hit hotel, dip into the pool then off to the convention.

Spent Saturday bumming 'round town with friends & acquaintances. Lots to see and do at the convention center. Started home Sunday riding back on the 10. I10 is a WASTELAND between Phoenix & Palm Springs. Hot, boring & filled with lots of odometer peeks...as in "how much more of this until..."

Round trip about 1,100 miles. FJR hummed along wiithout issue or complaint. Except for the I10 portion, that's a ride I'd sign up to do on any excuse.

Due to popular demand, pictures coming soon.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here are some pix from the trip. Sorry it's taken this long, but putting pix up just isn't straightforward for us newbies FNGers Training Pilots.

Our first day's trip was this route. Day 1 Ride.

Here's the star of the show prepped for the trip. Only 900 miles on her and ready to stretch her legs.

FJRReady-1.jpg

I traveled with two friends from work, both aircraft designers. One was riding a Kawasaki Ninja (ZX10R I think), the other a Ducati Multistrata.

Day2-1.jpg

This is a view of main street in Oatman, AZ. Oatman is located here (Clicky). We arrived about 1 PM. The day was pleasant and the drive up from the CA/AZ border was classic Route 66. Very nice drive.

Oatman2-1.jpg

Another pic from Oatman.

OatmanAZ-1.jpg

There was considerable confusion based upon old map data, unclear GPS data and the like, about the road from Oatman to Kingman. As of a month or so ago, I can faithfully report that the road is a MC thrill and is wide open. Lots of twisties. I have a 32 ft RV and I would hesitate to take it along that road due to the VERY tight switchbacks, etc. But it's paved and the views are spectacular.

Here's another cameo of the star.

TheStar.jpg

Our day 2 ride took us along this route: Day 2 route. The ride down Oak Creek Canyon was worth the price of admission just by itself. Here is a picture taken of the hills at the bottom of the canyon ride and just before getting into Sedona.

Sedona-1.jpg

Here are the travelers (well, most of them anyway) at the canyon bottom.

PartySedona.jpg

Partners.jpg

I now wish I had gotten more pictures of Jerome, AZ because it is an amazing place. If you happen to find yourself anywhere near this marvelous location, I heartily suggest you take time to stop by. The town is a mining throwback to a previous era and the sights are all worth the effort. Here is a pic taken after passing through Jerome and looking back into the direction of Cottonwood before cresting for the trip down to Prescott.

Jerome-1.jpg

This is the view from the direction opposite the last pic. This is the last climb up out of Jerome & over the hill to Prescott. Altitude is about 5,500 ft MSL here.

OutOfJerome.jpg

OK...this one's for the fellows out there. Day 3 (Saturday), we were invited by a good friend to visit a local Phoenix range and sample some of the freedoms enjoyed by Arizonians that have been denied to us Californians by poorly informed or unscrupulous and deceitful politicians. To wit:

BlackRifles-1.jpg

We spent half the day Saturday enjoying our ability to exercise our American heritage. All safe, fun and challenging. I probably went through 250 rounds of 308...shoulder was a bit sore for the next day or so.

MoreNRA.jpg

I took no pictures on the ride home as the 10 from Phoenix to CA is a wasteland.

Enjoy,

W2

Nice picture of my Jackass... Notice the resemblance to Bluesman anyone?
Fine report there Willy.

:jester:
Those things walk the street in Oatman. There are about 20 of them that we saw and they are treated like citizens. They all have names, are cared for by the locals and probably carry AZ ID cards...somewhere.

W2