Riding In Extreme Temperatures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Tom Austin is the Technical Advisor for the Iron Butt Association, and is extremely knowledgable in the Long Distance Riding arena. Despite his casual swipe at the heat issues of the FJR towards the end of his article, his comments below regarding riding in extremely high ambient temperatures, posted today on the LDRiders list, is very insightful. It's worth reading and discussing whether you're into Endurance riding or not. - Warchild

/*--------------------- start of reprint -----------------------------------*/

I spent a lot of time riding in REALLY hot weather a couple of weeks ago. On one leg of my trip, I rode for over six hours straight with temperatures in the vicinity of 115°F. Living in the Sacramento area, I frequently ride in ambient temperatures of approximately 100°F and I've ridden in temperatures as high as 113°F for shorter periods of time (e.g., crossing Death Valley). This week I learned that additional preparation is required for running at temperatures above 110°F for several hours. Several things that I experienced during the trip prompted to me to write this. Hopefully it will be useful to others.

1. Why Mesh Riding Suits Don't Work in Extreme Conditions

Human bodies exchange heat with their surroundings in four primary ways: convection, conduction, radiation, and evaporative cooling (from perspiration). When ambient temperatures are below the body's normal temperature of 98.6°F, all of these pathways can provide cooling. The higher the windspeed, the more cooling there is from convection. But when ambient temperatures rise above 98.6°F, only evaporative cooling can work. More importantly, too much wind becomes a bad thing. There is a limit to our body's perspiration rate and when the wind speed uses up all of the available perspiration, more wind increases convective HEATING. This is the opposite of "Wind Chill". I found an interesting article on this effect at: https://www.zunis.org/at_least_theres_a_breeze.htm

What this means is that you do NOT want to maximize the wind against your skin when the temperature gets extreme. Mesh suits, or wearing just a lightweight shirt, are NOT the right approach. You will actually stay cooler with a conventional suit with the vents adjusted so there is a more moderate air flow across your skin.

2. You Have to Carry Much More Water to Ride in 110°F+ Temperatures

When temperatures are below 98.6°F, you may perspire less than 1 quart per day. But when the need for evaporative cooling kicks in, you perspiration rate can increase to 1.5 quarts PER HOUR. If you aren't drinking 1.5 quarts per hour under extreme conditions, you will start becoming dehydrated. Your perspiration rate will decrease, you will feel hotter, your heart rate will increase, and your judgement will start to become clouded. If you are a competitive endurance rider, you can probably go at least 300 miles without stopping. If you are averaging 75 mph, that's four hours. You may need to consume 6 quarts of water in that period of time when the temperature exceeds 110°F.

I carry an insulated 1-gallon cooler with a drinking tube attached when I know I will be riding long distances in hot weather. It was barely adequate for this trip because I deviated from my normal routine and purchased an extra bottle of water to drink during my fuel stops. On one leg, I made the mistake of starting with less than a full gallon and started experiencing the early signs of heat exhaustion. I felt much better after sitting in the shade for 10 minutes while consuming a full litre of bottled water.

Based on my personal experience and research, there is a world of difference between 100-105°F and 115°F in terms of how much water you need. A half quart per hour is more typical of what's required near 100°F. You might even be able to to run without water for several hours at about 100°F and make up the deficit by drinking at lot at your next fuel stop. But at 115°F, the level of dehydration you will be experiencing between fuel stops is excessive; you will definitely experience heat exhaustion and possibly heat stroke.

3. Why You Might Not Want to Be Wearing Shorts Under Your Riding Suit

Some popular bikes have "issues" with high levels of engine heat. My K1200GT makes the lower half of my legs warmer than on my K1200LT, but it's never been a problem for me, until this trip. Air passing through the radiator on both the LT and GT exits at the side of the fairing just in front of the rider's legs. On the LT, the hot air is blown far enough away from the bike that it does not impinge on the rider's legs. On the GT, the fairing is not quite as wide and you can feel heat from the radiator on your lower legs. The heat I feel on the GT is clearly less that the heat I've felt riding other bikes, such as the FJR1300. But on this trip, the heat became a problem. I rode for a long stretch with a slight crosswind which increased the amount of radiator discharge that impinged on my right leg. It got very uncomfortable. When I stopped for the night, I discovered that I had second degree burns on the back of my right calf:

https://www.sierraresearch.com/mc/burns.jpg

This wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing long pants under my Aerostich. Under identical conditions, I did not get burned wearing blue jeans under the riding suit.

This problem showed up for the first time because the radiator discharge temperature is directly related to the ambient temperature. Although engines run hotter in hot weather, they actually discharge about the same amount of heat energy into the radiator. That heat energy is raises the temperature of the radiator discharge the same amount that it does at lower ambient temperatures. At 100°F, the radiator discharge might be 140°F and it might get knocked down to 110°F before it impinges your leg. It feels very warm, but it won't burn you. If the ambient is 15°F higher, you leg might be exposed to 125°F and you can eventually get burned if your leg isn't insultated from the radiator discharge.

According to data from the National Burn Center, the time at temperature to cause a second degree burn is as follows:

113 °F 1.7 hours

122 °F 2 minutes

131 °F 11 seconds

140 °F 2 seconds

The only thing protecting you from being burned when your bare skin is exposed to ambient temperature of 113°F or higher is evaporative cooling and the cooling of the skin surface by blood flow. To be protected from radiator discharge temperatures in excess of 113°F, you need INSULATION between your skin and the hot air stream. What I painfully discovered is that the insulation provided by an Aerostich suit is not enough.

Tom Austin

/*--------------------- end of reprint -----------------------------------*/

With regards to the mesh jacket, I can understand the points about evaporative cooling, but, that's assuming most of your body is exposed to the wind, right? What about in the case of the fully faired FJR and especially those with an oversized windshield? The body isn't getting most of the direct wind, just some of the disturbed wind which is more of a moderate airflow across the body.

btw - great post! thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting... good information. I worked 8 hours Saturday and 11 hours Sunday building a deck in at least 105 degree heat index. The humidity in the South is ridiculous sometimes... 95 to 100 percent. I wonder about 2 things... does humidity play into his findings, and is water or Gatorade better? I've been doing half water and half Gatorade, and that seems to work pretty good. Gatorade has an "Endurance Formula" that I like... it's supposed to replinish the 5 electrolytes that you sweat out... sodium, chloride, potasium, magnesium and calcium.

If only Tom had posted this about 2001. It would have saved me lots of agony. :)

Of course, experience comes from, well, experiencing . . .

Joe

That article covers a critical, life or death issue, and was very well put together.

When I lived in Virginia, there was a 10K run that passed through our neighborhood. The temperature was in the 90's as was the humidity. There simply was not enough water capacity in the air to let evaporative cooling take place - the air already was filled with water vapor. As a result, 2 runners in their 30's died just behind my house. They hit heat exhaustion, lost judgement about their own dehydration, plopped down on the ground and suffered heat stroke.

Ron

With regards to the mesh jacket, I can understand the points about evaporative cooling, but, that's assuming most of your body is exposed to the wind, right? What about in the case of the fully faired FJR and especially those with an oversized windshield? The body isn't getting most of the direct wind, just some of the disturbed wind which is more of a moderate airflow across the body.
I find myself wondering this very thing. Anyone??

I experimented with this very issue last weekend when temps were 108. (Sacramento area). I wore my Joe Rocket Sahara vest (soaked in water) under the mesh jacket. It kept me cooler with the stock shield partially raised to reduce, but not stop, airflow. I took off the mesh jacket and rode with the wet vest over just a t-shirt. It was ineffective because the hot wind simply blew the evaporatively cooled air away from my skin.

I believe this is consistent with Tom's research and findings.

On the other hand, I was wearing mesh pants with only bicycle shorts underneath on my FJR for 200 miles of riding and did not suffer excessive heat or skin burns. So, I guess the BMW 1200 GT really blows when it comes to heat. :p

Some good info there...I think I can add some points. When riding in very hot weather evap cooling of the body (sweating) is a natural process that I add to by dousing my shirt and the inside layer of my back armor with water. With the wind screen almost fully up, I get a nice little push against my back that puts that wet layer of armor firmly in contact, as well as some air across my upper chest. With the 'stich vents open, the water evaporates from both the shirt and back armor and I ride cooler than I thought possible while wearing my Roadcrafter in over 100 degree temps .

I still drink lots of water, and pour lots over my inner layers at every stop. But the level of comfort this adds is amazing. And with a wet-gel neck wrap and a camelback, I can handle the heat for as long as needed.

An occasional stop at one of Norcal's many swimming holes doesn't hurt either... :lol:

wow i better start bringing the h20 . i only drink when i stop and i dont drink very much. great stuff . thanks

Great info!

I put ice in the leg pockets of my stich at stops just to get a half hour of cool legs. The water drips out of the seams of the pockets and does not get you wet because the suit is goretex. This makes it a little more comfortable (about 30 min) while you are getting up to speed. I had tried ice in the chest pockets, but found that the cold gave me a belly ache.

Hottest I ever rode was in Perry Oklahoma in July 1981. 105 degrees in the shade and I had to get back to Colorado Springs for duty the next day. I wore my leathers to stop from being burnt up by the sun. They don't make temps like that here in the Northeast.

About the jeans under the stich:

Rider Warehouse says you should wear jeans or long pants under the stich to prevent burns in the event of a fall. Seems that a lot of heat is generated sliding on the ground in a stich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great info!

This really supports one thing I have argued with others. I wear long sleeve cool-max type (Nike, Addidas, even Yamaha makes one) shirts under my mesh jacket and Underarmor-"Heat" under my mesh pants. The cool-max & Underarmor wicks the persperation, then offers a cooling effect as the water evaporates from the shirt.

One thing I do need to do is get a water jug for on the bike.

...How do you get the mouthpiece for the hose in your mouth under a full-face helmet with an Autocom boom? The boom is right in frong of my lips and if you move it up or to the side, the quality declines tramatically. Anyone?

During summer I carry a small 6pack cooler with bladder and ice on top of it with Gatorade usuall 3 bottles and wear cool vest under my jacket. Used to wear leather jacket zipped 3/4 of way up and cool vest under it with leather chapps now wear underarmor tights with underamor tee shirt under my mesh gear but still carry the cooler on the back seat with the hose cliped to my chin strap then just push it up with my hand when I drink.Works for me and I have a boom mike also. Have ridden in 111% for a couple of htrs but 2 years ago hit 116 in Needles Ca then 110 to Barstow stopped for gas and drank to bottles of Gatorade. His artical was SPOT ON thanks Gary

rogerfjrfaster :D

Tom addressed something I've been trying to explain to several people in recent weeks. Mesh is okay for commuting (stop-and-go) - at least it's better than street clothes. But it's not ideal for touring when it's hot. The air flow is completly uncontrolled and so is the evaporative cooling. Then, if temps rise higher, the mesh doesn't mitigate convection or radiant heat at all like properly vented full gear can.

As soon as I read his post yesterday, I got his permission and added it to the Rides section of Bikes-N-Spikes so that it wouldn't fall off the face of the earth.

As for waiting for a gas stop to drink, once dehydration starts it's nearly impossible to play "catch up" unless you get out of the heat (not the objective of this subject: how to continue riding safely). I've had a lot of different methods of being able to drink on-the-fly over the years, but my current hydration system (based on the foundational work of Ron Smith) is my favorite by far.

thanks ! great stuff fer sure bro...and the paint on the inside of the windscreen works very well...thanks again.... :D

Bounce,

You say the panniers you're using are the #903 competition. mdl. I checked the Aerostitch website and there seems to be some confusion. They list a #903 std. and a #902 competition. Perhaps the part #'s changed at Aerostich. Could you check it out and let me know which one it is you used for your hydration system? Thanks.........

Keep in mind that you can hurt yourself by drinking too much water. Pace yourself when drinking.

YEP got to pee alot :haha: Just sip it every so many minutes then refill at next gas stop.

rogerfjrfaster :D