Riding In Extreme Temperatures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a big taste of heat last Saturday. Decided I needed to get home after a week of sweet riding in the Markleeville area of Calli. Ended up in Redding headed north at 1pm heading to Seattle. You could feel the heat build as I lowered my elevation. The temps in the valley were low 100's. I had bought an evaporative vest and wore that on top of a tight mesh style t-shirt. Stopped at all rest stops and rewetted. Was hot but never "oh my god I'm gonna die hot." I was amazed. I got home around midnight and figure it was about 900 miles for the day. The only thing that really hurt were my knees. Got to get the highway pegs. That was head and shoulders the longest ride I have ever dreamed of in 1 day. funny thing before leaving I could only ride about 100 miles before I got sore. After, 15 hours and high temps and I am ready to go again. My hands are still a bit numb though. Try one of those vests guys, check out soundrider.com. They really work.

You say the panniers you're using are the #903 competition. mdl. I checked the Aerostitch website and there seems to be some confusion. They list a #903 std. and a #902 competition. Perhaps the part #'s changed at Aerostich. Could you check it out and let me know which one it is you used for your hydration system?
Good catch. The photo name in the link was correct but the text description had a typo. It's the 902 and has now been corrected. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark! Now, it's off to Walmart for some water jugs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting topic and very good ways each person addresses the issue of staying cool, dehydrationand heat stroke. Information like this saves liveswhen on does not know the symtoms brought on by heat. `

A couple of years ago I rode a 250 mile desert ride in Nevada with gas, food,and water stops about 50miles apart. This is suppose to be a premire ride that has been offered for several years with a waiting list. when i got to the first gas no water gas only when i got to lunch they had water, and sports drinks but they were sitting in the hot sun. When I got to lunch I already was experiencing heat exhaustion,dehydration. and the next one you experience is heat stroke can be fatal. So I told them Iwas through take my bike to the motel which was half way and where you spent the night and did the return trip back to start the next day. there was a dinner that night and fun stuff to do but I was unable to enjoy myself,I was trying to re-hydrate my self and cool my body temp. down. for the return trip the next day. I was unable to do this and rode with one of the sweeps back to start .Than load up and head for home. this was the first time I have experenced this and never want to again. I have a Long distance bicycle back ground, so I was aware of this problem. The problem was the people putting it on with little knowledge about problems like this arising out of no where and what to do. I tried to give them some information on how to address this problem and othermore effective ways to put on there ride, but it fell by deff ears. the ride is still going on but has gotten expensive. Will never ride a ride like this again. weekend rider happy to be here B)